The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This July 1st, Benning can make us a playoff team, or a Cup contender.

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

9 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Who is doing the bashing i haven't paid much attention to the media lately but everything I've heard has been positive. That's only Mackenzie, Kipper and Hrudey I've heard.

There has been a bash Benning story for every move he has made this offseason not to mention last season. The latest was saying that signing Ferland was a terrible move and has left us in a cap pickle. 

The interesting thing about these bash articles is that not one talks about how he has improved the team. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, spur1 said:

There has been a bash Benning story for every move he has made this offseason not to mention last season. The latest was saying that signing Ferland was a terrible move and has left us in a cap pickle. 

The interesting thing about these bash articles is that not one talks about how he has improved the team. 

Ray Ferraro especially has been very critical of Benning all the way through. Finally he said something good about the acquiring of Myers,Benn and Fatenburg. But overall. He bashes Benning and Praises Dubas in Toronto. We know where he gets his bread buttered.

• Upvote 1

On 7/15/2019 at 10:45 AM, Hutton Wink said:

Happy pappy?

;)

yep happy enough. the more we beef up the better petey will go if you ask me. i don't know if were quite there yet but looking much better then last year. still need some potatoes i reckon

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:07 AM, wildwood12 said:

Ray Ferraro especially has been very critical of Benning all the way through. Finally he said something good about the acquiring of Myers,Benn and Fatenburg. But overall. He bashes Benning and Praises Dubas in Toronto. We know where he gets his bread buttered.

I dont get that. Doesn't Ferraro live in Vancouver? He is critical of the Canucks, I have noticed that. It's like this every year, doesn't matter how good the Canucks get, they'll never get the recognition from the media. Maybe they feel Vancouver already has too much.

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

I dont get that. Doesn't Ferraro live in Vancouver? He is critical of the Canucks, I have noticed that. It's like this every year, doesn't matter how good the Canucks get, they'll never get the recognition from the media. Maybe they feel Vancouver already has too much.

Ray lives here, but his checks are signed by media in Toronto.  He either tows the company line (all the Canucks do is bad, while all the Leafs do is great) or no more checks.  

I used to believe Ray was a tough little nut.  Now I see him as a coward.  

• Upvote 2

I wasn't expecting much. Canucks had another dissappointing season but there were bright spots with Pettersson, Horvat and Boeser, and Hughes arriving at the end gave some hope. But it was still mainly the same mediocre D, and I give Markstrom a lot of credit for last year. The Top 6 was a mish-mash of skilled players and vets trying to regain their form. It didn't work that well. What would Jim do?

Benning traded a future 1st and a 3rd for J.T. Miller. I was a bit shocked at this at first, but with this trade, the Canucks got a top 6 player with grit and speed, entering his prime. And his salary is quite reasonable too (like Bo's) Benning promised Bo a better winger and he got one for him. Then Benning goes out and gets the most coveted Dman in free agency, as well as Benn and Fantenberg. Suddenly, the D looks a lot better, especially anticipating a full year from Hughes. But he's not done yet, Jim manages to sign a big, skilled, gritty winger for Pettersson's line as well, because he knows Pettersson needed to be better protected with a player who can play in the Top 6.  Benning has done a lot of work with this team over the last 5 years, but this off season was pretty epic for him. I think he turned this bottom 5-10 team into a playoff team in a few short weeks. 

On 7/1/2019 at 8:06 AM, IBatch said:

A playoff team undoubtedly, even with the same line-up we had at the end of the year you have to think moving up nine points in the standings could happen with just a little bit of progression with the young core, and at least no more injuries then usual.

Now adding Miller and jettisoning a few from the depth chart by adding Myers and Hughes for an entire season...well it’s actually harder to see us missing the playoffs then not.  I hope we start a run of five-seven consecutive playoff berths .. that would be something.   Watch the Benning dislikers shrivel away with their hindsight’s and buts.   There will be a power shift, SJ is clinging on but EK won’t be enough to keep them there long (they just lost Pavelski, who they were losing to age anyways, how long can Burns keep it up?).  ANA is a bit of a mess, where we were five years ago.  LA ditto.  Vegas looks to be a powerhouse for years to come (yes I’m jealous and yes I’m starting to hate them). ARI is ready to burst but we won’t have to worry about them long, not sure Seattle is going to have an easy time duplicating what Vegas did, teams have wised up this time and won’t be nearly ready to give up extras.   CAL looks to be a top team for a while yet, some of our stiffest competition, and EDM won’t get anywhere until they draft better help...something they haven’t been able to do yet but your have to like some of their guys, some help is coming..and they could bounce back...

Personally I think the third spot is ripe for the picking....and maybe it takes a 12-14 point improvement this time if the West isn’t killed by the East like it was last year .... that’s still definitely doable.  We lost 24 points in our 12 game losing streak, if we played .500 then instead we would have snuck in.   

JT Miller with EP and Boeser seems like a huge improvement.   That line could end up deadly and deadly all the time.  

Don’t forget Bear is 100% too and he already has chemistry Boeser and can play RW....or maybe JV is finally ready. 

JV is ready actually, people complain he's not a 20 goal guy but last year he made 15 and hit 7 posts and 2 crossbars on shots that if they had of gone in the he'd have had 24 goals.. he has never taken huge steps, just small ones but that's fine for us as long as he keeps it up.

Edited by iceman64
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 7/15/2019 at 7:20 AM, spur1 said:

Ike..oh well, they fail to remember how we came out of the gates at the beginning of the last 2 seasons but couldn't hold it for lack of depth but that was in a today's 2.0 version and depth is what Benning got us as well as a night and day roster with only a few moves but depth that's not far off  being a NHL regulars that don't look out of being place and not a liability on the ice but contribute instead. 

Not to mention at the start of the season before last we beat TB 4-1 and those haters are going to be pretty shocked when we play even better than that and no long losing streaks that kill us.. this is going to be fun to watch! 

19 hours ago, iceman64 said:

JV is ready actually, people complain he's not a 20 goal guy but last year he made 15 and hit 7 posts and 2 crossbars on shots that if they had of gone in the he'd have had 24 goals.. he has never taken huge steps, just small ones but that's fine for us as long as he keeps it up.

Not sure what line combos TG is going to use but pretty sure JV is going to remain on the third line...fortunately he should have a better line mate(s) to work with and 2nd PP time could be in the mix too.  Won’t be easy to get time to play with Horvat, but injuries or his play could force it.   Scoring 20 on the third line would be an awesome achievement for JV or anyone for that matter.  Still think he might have it in him for a breakout rather then baby-steps.  Ferland and others might also help him use his hitting ability more often which would be great too.

edit:  also given the way TG uses Sutter, he’s not getting primo Ozone starts ... that makes 20 even that more impressive...

Edited by IBatch

• 6 months later...
  • -SN- locked this topic