The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time for the Calgary Stampede to Evolve... ?

kingofsurrey

26 minutes ago, Monty said:

Wasn’t laughing at people who choose not to eat meat, or those that want parts (or all) of the rodeo to stop. You know that deb.

Just as you know my comment was in response to someone not talking about about the rodeo, which was why I brought up the lobster story. People don’t want to eat meat or fish? Fine. But if people push their beliefs on others, it’s annoying, and usually comes across badly. 

I think this is different than religion, this isn't really a belief anymore, this more so ethics and a moral obligation. You need to be more open-minded to the fact that when you consume meat, it was at a cost of someone's life. 

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

especially dropping it in a pot of boiling water to hear it squeal.  

Also, for clarification, as I’m a stickler for facts, lobsters don’t “squeal”. That’s suggesting they have vocal chords, which they don’t. That’s a myth that the sound heard is them screaming. That sound is the steam being heard through the shell.

• Upvote 2

Just now, The Vancouver Connection said:

I think this is different than religion, this isn't really a belief anymore, this more so ethics and a moral obligation. You need to be more open-minded to the fact that when you consume meat, it was at a cost of someone's life. 

I am. I have hunted in the last year, so I know the cost it takes and not just blindly take my food for granted.

Me eating meat doesn’t make me wrong, nor does it make you a better person for choosing not to. It makes you you, and me me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

Nope, it was at the cost of some animal's life.

True, which needs to be acknowledged, appreciated, and respected.  Don’t Muslims and Jews only eat meat that has been raised with care, and slaughtered in a humane way?  

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Wasn’t laughing at people who choose not to eat meat, or those that want parts (or all) of the rodeo to stop. You know that deb.

Just as you know my comment was in response to someone not talking about the rodeo, which was why I brought up the lobster story. People don’t want to eat meat or fish? Fine. But if people push their beliefs on others, it’s annoying, and usually comes across badly. 

But eating meat is a belief (side) too...   

And calf roping is being pushed at us so it seems fair to push back?  It's about finding a middle ground and respecting one another, even if we're on opposite sides.  

Look, I eat meat on occasion but I also get really ticked off when people portray vegans/vegetarians as "this or that".  They're individuals.  Just like all rodeo goin' meat eaters aren't red necks with their beer bellies hanging out as they belch and spit tabacca in a can.  It's a two way street so it's important that respect, name calling, etc. extends to both sides. 

Here are a few profiles of the vegetarians I know (and love).  One is gorgeous...in her twenties, she has guys falling all over her (always).  She has a job and is so good at it that her bosses support her constant desire to book off for months at a time to travel the world.  Not only do they hold her job for her, they give her bonus cash for her trips.  She has her own business on the side and they also support her in that.  She spins fire in her extra spare time.  She's on the Board of Directors for an animal rescue.  She's been to Japan, Australia, Thailand, England and all over the US in the past decade.  But....she's vegetarian and heading towards vegan.  So she's a loser?  Whiner?  She'd probably take down half the guys on here because she's also fiery as hell and very strong in her convictions.  Hell hath no fury like....her.  So what's my point.  It irks me to no end when she's lumped in to a loser group because she's against torturing animals...even if they're tasty.  She LOVED meat as a child...but she's seen enough to put animals fear and pain in front of her tastebuds.

He is also pushing 30.  A science/tech geek, he's super successful.  Makes a fortune and HIS job pays for them both to travel.  He's SUPER intelligent... has built a robot (that works) and is now learning to weld and scuba dive.  He cooks and they both are organic gardeners and make some phenomenal dishes.  He's the son of a (semi) famous Hollywood writer.  They live in a super cool apartment overlooking the beach - decorated with collections from their travels.  But he's one of those loser soy boys.  

So to hear vegans/vegetarians spoken of like they're....losers?  They're people - individuals that all are worthy of respect as such.  And some of them run circles around some others.  But it's not based on what they eat.  It's who they are and what they do in life that determines winners and losers.  So this rant is for them.

Some say that they're "hypocrites" if they drink beer or (I forget the other part)?  Aren't meat eaters hypocrites if they like living?  Why should they be afforded a luxury that they so easily dismiss other creatures of having?  Life.

We're so far off topic, however, it's a good one.  The bullying that some vegans/vegetarians endure is ridiculous....just because they have different beliefs.  Meat eaters believe it's ok.  Others don't.  

It's also annoying when people think they know what I know.

I'm super angry and did a work out to try to release some of the frustration this thread is stirring up in me.  So I'll bow out at this point.  Peace out.  It's been a good one but how about we get back to talk of ... rodeo.  Barf.  There's a sjw thread that has enough of this bashing in.  

Let's all try to play nice(r)?

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

And calf roping is being pushed at us so it seems fair to push back?  It's about finding a middle ground and respecting one another, even if we're on opposite sides.  

Look, I eat meat on occasion but I also get really ticked off when people portray vegans/vegetarians as "this or that".  They're individuals.  Just like all rodeo goin' meat eaters aren't red necks with their beer bellies hanging out as they belch and spit tabacca in a can.  It's a two way street so it's important that respect, name calling, etc. extends to both sides. 

Here are a few profiles of the vegetarians I know (and love).  One is gorgeous...in her twenties, she has guys falling all over her (always).  She has a job and is so good at it that her bosses support her constant desire to book off for months at a time to travel the world.  Not only do they hold her job for her, they give her bonus cash for her trips.  She has her own business on the side and they also support her in that.  She juggles fire.  She's on the Board of Directors for an animal rescue.  She's been to Japan, Australia, Thailand, England and all over the US in the past decade.  But....she's vegetarian and heading towards vegan.  So she's a loser?  Whiner?  She's probably take down half the guys on here because she's also fiery as hell.

He is also pushing 30.  A science/tech geek, he's super successful.  Makes a fortune and HIS job pays for them both to travel.  He's SUPER intelligent... has built a robot (that works) and is now learning to weld.  He cooks and they both are organic gardening and make some phenomenal dishes.  He's the son of a (semi) famous Hollywood writer.  They live in a super cool apartment overlooking the beach - decorated with collections from their travels.  But he's one of those loser soy boys.  

So to hear vegans/vegetarians spoken of like they're....losers?  They're people - individuals that all are worthy of respect as such.

Some say that they're "hypocrites" if they drink beer or (I forget the other part)?  Aren't meat eaters hypocrites if they like living?  Why should they be afforded a luxury that they so easily dismiss other creatures of having?  Life.

We're so far off topic, however, it's a good one.  The bullying that some vegans/vegetarians endure is ridiculous....just because they have different beliefs.  Meat eaters believe it's ok.  Others don't.  

I'm super angry and did a work out to try to release some of the frustration this thread is stirring up in me.  So I'll bow out at this point.  Peace out.  It's been a good one but how about we get back to talk of ... rodeo.

From the sounds of it You raised two good kids.  

Cowboys rope calves.  That’s one of the uses for the saddle horn.  Squeezes are better, but they just aren’t available all the time.  

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Also, for clarification, as I’m a stickler for facts, lobster don’t “squeal”. That’s suggesting they have vocal chords, which they don’t. That’s a myth that the sound heard is them screaming. That sound is the steam being heard through the shell.

I've heard it enough over the years (from a family of fishermen).

How many lobsters did they poll?  (It's a joke)

I eat seafood.  I'm a hypocrite.

No hard feelings...I respect everyone's decision to decide for themselves.  I just wish that people who were choosing veganism/vegetarianism weren't painted with a dirty brush.

• Haha 2

Katrina Berry the fiancee of chuck wagon driver Cody Ridsdale

I'd like everyone to meet Wild. Wild has a pretty cool story that I feel the world could benefit from hearing today. Looking back I think our lives changed the day we picked up Wild 6 years ago. 
Wild had 1 start on the racetrack, earning less than $100 dollars. But he LOVED to run! So much so that no exercise rider could control him and every exercise was a runaway, literally. And one day he decided he didn't want to be held back again and ran so hard he hurt his suspensory ligament in his left front leg. So now Wild is a 2 year old with an injury that has ended any chance at furthering his race career. And this is a horse that would NOT make someone a light riding trail horse, he would not have any part of that. He is a handful to lead around most days I couldn't imagine trying to take him on a long slow trail ride. This is where the horse whisperers are going to come at me and say he just has to go through the 'steps' and any horse can be tamed. This is where I have to laugh, they just don't get it. If someone could have conquered him(unlikely), his injured ligament would most likely not hold up to any weight on his back. Lucky for Wild he had an amazing owner who took him home and turned him out into the pasture until he could find a suitable home for him. Lucky for US, we were that home. All winter we hooked Wild to the wagon with a draft horse and everyday Wild met us at the gate and drug me to the wagon so we could be hooked up. We knew he was going to be a good one once we could convince him that we should somewhat control this runaway he wanted to be on everyday. 

Wild is 9 years old now, he has been our main left leader on the 1 and 2 barrel outfit for the passed 5 years. He pushed his head into the collar and still literally drags me to the wagon at night to be hooked up. He explodes when the horn goes and tries his guts out around the track. One lap isn't enough for Wild, he'd prefer to go around again. Cody's arms may be short but they are mighty, but just watch him try and pull Wild up after the race tonight. It's not easy. I've literally been standing on the backside of the track and heard Cody yell "Ok Wild, we're done buddy, that's enough".
Wild will race tonight, off the 1 barrel, because he WANTS to and he LOVES his job. I wish everyone got to see the spark in his eye when he put the harness on him. He living his best life! A controlled runaway everytime he hits the track! Cody and I laugh all the time, whatever Wild wants, Wild gets. He wants his Soft ride boots on, now he wants them off, wants to walk beside this horse today, wants the tote of oats open for him by his stall. 

Wild is currently napping in his stall, full of fresh shavings, clean water, all the hay he can eat and a bucket full of the best grain possible formulated just for racehorses like him. He's wearing a ceramic/magnetic blanket to make sure his muscles are fully oxygenated for tonight's race. An hour before races, we will breathe in saline through the nebulizer to help clear and open his lungs. He will stand on the Theraplate for 20 minutes, a vibrating plate to warm up his ligaments, tendons and muscles. He will strut his stuff for the track vets to show that he is sound and healthy for tonight's races. Then he will be harnessed and not so patiently wait for the nights races.

Trust me when I say this, there is absolutely no way he could get these horses to pull a wagon and run if they didn't want to. And we have had ones that didn't want to, and I have made sure I found them good homes and new careers. Which isn't easy by the way. Off the track thoroughbreds aren't many peoples 'cup of tea'.
If Wild decides he doesn't want to be a wagon horses one day, so be it. We would respect that 100%. He doesn't owe us a darn thing, he can retire in the pasture and live out his days eating grass with the broodmares.

Thank you Wild for allowing us to be 'your people'. 

67227536_10162087854940445_5879977448480

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Katrina Berry the fiancee of chuck wagon driver Cody Ridsdale

67227536_10162087854940445_587997744848067100559_10162085745315445_8325455505254

If you’ve ever owned a horse, there is a special bond with them.  I can tell this lady loves her horses, but accepts they were bred to do their job.  We don’t want our horses or dogs to get hurt, but the animals are hurt more if we don’t let them do what they love - run and work.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, The Vancouver Connection said:

And you need to learn that eating meat doesn't automatically make someone a bad person. Moral obligation? This is your personal choice and not everyone is going to make the same choices as you. Getting in people's faces and ranting about how they're just horrible and stupid rednecks isn't winning anyone over, bud. Take your hypocrisy elsewhere.

As far as the abuse cases go in mass farming (which I'm not personally a fan of so we can at least agree on that) it doesn't happen as often as you think. The reason it seems that it because the media will blow up any story that throws a negative light on the meat industry.

While there are still cases of it, you should know that the places that mistreat animals are shut down almost immediately. The industry has VERY strict regulations about humanely handling and slaughtering the animals.

Stop researching from a biased stand point. Go talk to farmers, ranchers, feedlot workers. Learn first hand how these animals are actually treated. I've told you time and time again, ignorantly preaching at people about this when you've never actually handled or been around livestock isn't going to get you anywhere.

Get off the computer and educate yourself in real life. If you take the time to actually learn about this subject people might stop laughing at you on the internet.

I'm tired of arguing with you when you clearly have no interest in learning about how it is on the other side of the coin. Don't bother replying.

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Here are a few profiles of the vegetarians I know (and love).  One is gorgeous...in her twenties, she has guys falling all over her (always).  She has a job and is so good at it that her bosses support her constant desire to book off for months at a time to travel the world.  Not only do they hold her job for her, they give her bonus cash for her trips.  She has her own business on the side and they also support her in that.  She spins fire in her extra spare time.  She's on the Board of Directors for an animal rescue.  She's been to Japan, Australia, Thailand, England and all over the US in the past decade.  But....she's vegetarian and heading towards vegan.  So she's a loser?  Whiner?  She'd probably take down half the guys on here because she's also fiery as hell and very strong in her convictions.  Hell hath no fury like....her.  So what's my point.  It irks me to no end when she's lumped in to a loser group because she's against torturing animals...even if they're tasty.  She LOVED meat as a child...but she's seen enough to put animals fear and pain in front of her tastebuds.

He is also pushing 30.  A science/tech geek, he's super successful.  Makes a fortune and HIS job pays for them both to travel.  He's SUPER intelligent... has built a robot (that works) and is now learning to weld and scuba dive.  He cooks and they both are organic gardeners and make some phenomenal dishes.  He's the son of a (semi) famous Hollywood writer.  They live in a super cool apartment overlooking the beach - decorated with collections from their travels.  But he's one of those loser soy boys.  

So to hear vegans/vegetarians spoken of like they're....losers?  They're people - individuals that all are worthy of respect as such.  And some of them run circles around some others.  But it's not based on what they eat.  It's who they are and what they do in life that determines winners and losers.  So this rant is for them.

I'm super angry and did a work out to try to release some of the frustration this thread is stirring up in me.  So I'll bow out at this point.  Peace out.  It's been a good one but how about we get back to talk of ... rodeo.  Barf.  There's a sjw thread that has enough of this bashing in.  

Let's all try to play nice(r)?

I agree lets get back to rodeo and I agree calf roping is pointless and also why if you ever get a chance to meet/ talk to a roughstock riders they think their wimps. Down Montana they do a winter rodeo where they just have Broncs and Bulls and it's fun to watch and ride ha I've ranched for years and calf roping doesn't happen often on crown land or paster...so if the Calgary stampede got rid of the chucks and calf roping and steer wrestling it wouldn't hurt my feelings.....

the pbr in Canada and the built ford tough series in the states have a huge following and they proved you don't need the other events to draw fans in.....

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

I have no problem with vegans or vegetarians. My problem is with someone who doesn't know what the hell he's talking about preaching at me and saying that we're "scumbags" simply because we choose to eat meat. You don't want to eat meat? Fine, but don't start ranting at me just because I didn't make the same choice.

Meat eaters bully vegans? What about the ones the ones that have full on protests who say that meat eaters are a bunch of abusers? That we're scumbags and hillbillies?

If we're talking bullying and generalizations, vegetarians and vegans talk a lot more $&!# than we do.

17 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

And you need to learn that eating meat doesn't automatically make someone a bad person. Moral obligation? This is your personal choice and not everyone is going to make the same choices as you. Getting in people's faces and ranting about how they're just horrible and stupid rednecks isn't winning anyone over, bud. Take your hypocrisy elsewhere.

As far as the abuse cases go in mass farming (which I'm not personally a fan of so we can at least agree on that) it doesn't happen as often as you think. The reason it seems that it because the media will blow up any story that throws a negative light on the meat industry.

While there are still cases of it, you should know that the places that mistreat animals are shut down almost immediately. The industry has VERY strict regulations about humanely handling and slaughtering the animals.

Stop researching from a biased stand point. Go talk to farmers, ranchers, feedlot workers. Learn first hand how these animals are actually treated. I've told you time and time again, ignorantly preaching at people about this when you've never actually handled or been around livestock isn't going to get you anywhere.

Get off the computer and educate yourself in real life. If you take the time to actually learn about this subject people might stop laughing at you on the internet.

I'm tired of arguing with you when you clearly have no interest in learning about how it is on the other side of the coin. Don't bother replying.

the vast majority of north americans get their meat from factory farms

the vast majority of factory farms DO NOT follow strict regulations, and most aren't even severely punished in the off-chance an egregious crime is proven

and in america, there are actually "ag gag" laws which make it ILLEGAL for 'insider' information about mistreatment to be leaked - the factory farms' mistreatments are PROTECTED in many states! 

why are you spreading so much misinformation in this thread?

• Upvote 1