The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blackhawks trade Artem Anisimov to Senators for Zack Smith

22 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Half the league are lotto pick teams. If we squeaked into the playoffs every year but simply get knocked out early every year, I'm sure you'll be suggesting the team is forever in mediocrity. If we iced a Utica roster, I'm sure the Benning haters crowd would love that to force him out. It's impossible to please everyone until we win the Cup (and even then I'm sure there will be some whining still) and teams have taken many different routes to get there, so there's not one path to success.

What we do have is a team that transitioned from one core to another during Benning's tenure so far and incoming depth like we've never seen before. I'm perfectly fine with the way our team is being built and feel far more embarrassed for Ottawa. I guess we will see if they're doing it right soon enough.

Ottawa will never be a legit contender. I don't see "incoming depth" like you do. Other than our lotto picks we have 0 prospects showing well in Utica that are ready to push out an overpaid older player on the roster. 

We should only get better, been enough bad years to watch I sure hope the worst is over.

22 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Sounds like it's not too early for you to say what we are though.

Look at the recent track record of the team. Are we closer to a lotto pick team or a playoff team when you look at recent history. Glass is half full or half empty can be looked at both ways. Until this team hits the ice, shows it can gel, score more and defend better as well as have another solid year of goaltending there are lots of ?'s. I am looking forward to the upcoming season, but 82 games is a long season, so I am not holding my breath either way. Wait and see approach

2 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Ottawa will never be a legit contender. I don't see "incoming depth" like you do. Other than our lotto picks we have 0 prospects showing well in Utica that are ready to push out an overpaid older player on the roster. 

We should only get better, been enough bad years to watch I sure hope the worst is over.

Gaudette, MacEwen and Juolevi should be pushing for permanent spots this year. Benning just needs to wheel some trades during the season to make room for these players. Even if we’re having a good season he’s got to make moves.

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Look at the recent track record of the team. Are we closer to a lotto pick team or a playoff team when you look at recent history. Glass is half full or half empty can be looked at both ways. Until this team hits the ice, shows it can gel, score more and defend better as well as have another solid year of goaltending there are lots of ?'s. I am looking forward to the upcoming season, but 82 games is a long season, so I am not holding my breath either way. Wait and see approach

I'm fine with the wait and see approach as I'm not the one calling us a basement team already. We have been trending up if you want to look at recent track record and we were within striking distance of a wild card spot last year until close to the end of the season. We have only bolstered our team while many others in our conference have remained stagnant. There are many factors that can happen during a season of course but even if we just miss out on a playoff spot (or become a "lotto pick team"), that doesn't make us a "basement team". If you want my prediction, I think we will be fighting for a wild card spot this season, but I can't call right now whether we will be above or below that line.

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

You're the one that praised Ottawa's rebuild and called it "SMRT" because it follows the Colorado model.

Aside from the aforementioned Gaudette, MacEwen and Juolevi who could step in this season. We have players outside of Utica that are doing well or expected to be a top performer in their respective leagues. We could potentially see Tryamkin, Rathbone and even Lockwood by the end of this season. We have Madden, Woo and DiPietro entering the system soon. We have recently drafted a couple of high end wingers in Podkolzin and Hoglander who could compete for spots after a couple of seasons. Demko is already starting to make his mark. Lind and Gadjovich will have a pro season under their belts and hopefully continue to progress. If that's not "incoming depth" then I don't know what it is.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

You're the one that praised Ottawa's rebuild and called it "SMRT" because it follows the Colorado model.

Aside from the aforementioned Gaudette, MacEwen and Juolevi who could step in this season. We have players outside of Utica that are doing well or expected to be a top performer in their respective leagues. We could potentially see Tryamkin, Rathbone and even Lockwood by the end of this season. We have Madden, Woo and DiPietro entering the system soon. We have recently drafted a couple of high end wingers in Podkolzin and Hoglander who could compete for spots after a couple of seasons. Demko is already starting to make his mark. Lind and Gadjovich will have a pro season under their belts and hopefully continue to progress. If that's not "incoming depth" then I don't know what it is.

sure doesn't sound as bleak as some fans want to make it. 

i'm excited. these are exciting times for Canuck fans. The pipeline, while it may not be "the best" in the league, i'd say is a huge improvement from what this franchise has been used to. This organization has not drafted well, and to be in that spot where we actually have incoming prospects to look forward to - wow, that's just amazing. 

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

sure doesn't sound as bleak as some fans want to make it. 

i'm excited. these are exciting times for Canuck fans. The pipeline, while it may not be "the best" in the league, i'd say is a huge improvement from what this franchise has been used to. This organization has not drafted well, and to be in that spot where we actually have incoming prospects to look forward to - wow, that's just amazing. 

Being best in the league is subjective anyway. No matter where we place, we at this point have to be in the top 5 though. And when comparing young cores, we cannot ignore EP, BB and Quinn Hughes. And to some extent Bo.

On 7/16/2019 at 12:03 PM, Odjick29willkillyou said:

They got Shaw back too so the truculence level just escalated quite a bit. Gonna be fun to play them when Rous comes back. 

Fun for us for sure. I'd feel bad for their pathetic fans at the Sad House on Madison though. We're gonna torment them for the next decade. 

If Toews knows what's good for him, he'll demand to be traded away from that dumpster of a team! 

God I love beating Chicago. Especially at the Sad House. 

Muhahahahaha

dr evil laughing GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, apollo said:

Fun for us for sure. I'd feel bad for their pathetic fans at the Sad House on Madison though. We're gonna torment them for the next decade. 

If Toews knows what's good for him, he'll demand to be traded away from that dumpster of a team! 

Muhahahahaha

I was stationed in the US Navy at boot camp in North Chicago for 4 years during their really sad years in 2004-2008 when nobody gave a damn and we beat them often. I remember being at this game with my wife and being heckled by a dad and his two 20 something year old boys behind us. Cookie ran Bourque I think and I stood up and went crazy. They told me to sit my a$$ down and go back to the rock I climbed out from under. One of them then said something to my wife in her Bertuzzi jersey and I almost lost it. Fast forward to the 2nd intermission at the beer line and who do I see? So I approached them and asked if they had anything to say without seats between us. Crickets. The best thing? Trevor won the game in a shootout and when I went to turn around to give it back, they fled like cockroaches in a dark kitchen when the lights turn on. On top of that, I played drums in a band with all Chicago'ans and Sh!thawks fans so I got chirped all the time regardless of how bad they sucked. Fast forward to our rivalry and I never heard the end of it until Burr slayed the dragon. Needless to say, it gave me a steel resolve. When I moved down here to Dallas and saw how cool the fans were I was happily surprised lol. Night and day from Sh!thawks fans. 

DSCN0930.jpg

DSCN0933.jpg

DSCN0935.jpg

DSCN0937.jpg

DSCN0938.jpg

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, theo5789 said:

But they're not in Utica!! :frantic:

:lol:

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, apollo said:

Muhahahahaha

Ok, but now tell us how you REALLY feel about the Hawks.  I feel like that was just toned down PG version.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, skolozsy2 said:

Ok, but now tell us how you REALLY feel about the Hawks.  I feel like that was just toned down PG version.

Hahaha you're bang on. I erased what I initially typed since it was a little too extreme. Shouldn't spread too much negative energy. 

But facts are facts... Chicago is gonna be a dumpster franchise for the rest of our lives :P

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, apollo said:

Hahaha you're bang on. I erased what I initially typed since it was a little too extreme. Shouldn't spread too much negative energy. 

But facts are facts... Chicago is gonna be a dumpster franchise for the rest of our lives :P

I miss the old days of intense hatred and rivalry, last few years have been very uneventful.

Both teams have not been good, Canucks being worse of the two.

Edited by CBH1926
  • Cheers 2