The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade David Clarkson, 2020 4th-round pick to Maple Leafs for Garret Sparks

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I would laugh if Clarkson recovered suddenly and the Leafs had to put him on the roster.

This move seems kind of pointless for both sides though. I think TSN was just starving for a Leafs headline so they did them a favour:

Nah, the league would do an investigation and pronounce him unfit to play. Then Clarkson would just disappear entirely. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/joffrey-lupul-calls-leafs-instagram-says-cheat/

Lupul was never heard from again. 

Edited by Toews
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Aspie said:

Well not really because even without the Horton and Clarkson contracts they will still be at the cap ceiling. They still have to sign Marner at under $10.5million and plug a couple no-names into the roster if they want to be under the cap with the LTIR artificial cap.

Maybe it’s just because I look at those players as non-existent because they’ll never play another game.

The problem Tor faced was Horton was all ready taking up cap space either they had to get rid of him or add another like him to max the Cap out and then recover it with LTIR

27 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Don't Horton and Clarkson have to be included in the cap for opening night?  If so, being able to place them on LTIR is great, but the Leafs have to first be cap compliant.  It's not like they have a lot of high $ contracts for players who are waiver exempt (e.g. the Canucks could theoretically paper down Boeser to the AHL to start the season if they need to move around some contracts for opening night and then bring him back up once they start using LTIR).

I'm probably missing something but seems odd.

Can LTIR be used in the off-season?

Yes, LTIR can be used in the off-season while the 10% off-season cushion is active. LTIR in the off-season is calculated using the basic equation outlined above, which permits a team to exceed the off-season salary cap. To use off-season LTIR the team must provide doctors proof that the player in question will continue to be injured at the beginning of the regular season for 10 NHL games and 24 calendar days.

At the start of the season the teams LTIR relief & ACSL is recalculated when the 10% cushion is removed.

https://www.capfriendly.com/ltir-faq#offseason

If you are interested, you should read the entire article just to get a grasp on how LTIR functions.

Edited by Toews
  • Cheers 1

TSNs headline is “Leafs trade backup Sparks, and gain cap flexibility”...

Someone wanna explain to me how they gained cap flexibility?

Sparks only had a cap hit of 750k for one more season. How is that providing flexibility? Are they gonna get a backup cheaper than that?

Anything to praise the Leafs I guess.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

TSNs headline is “Leafs trade backup Sparks, and gain cap flexibility”...

Someone wanna explain to me how they gained cap flexibility?

Sparks only had a cap hit of 750k for one more season. How is that providing flexibility? Are they gonna get a backup cheaper than that?

Anything to praise the Leafs I guess.

Marner will sign 1 day after the season starts

Doesn’t this cause an issue with tagging room?  I haven’t read that clause in a while, but I believe you can’t exceed the cap by more than 10% with your signed players in the offseason (including the guys that will end up on LTIR).... this gives no Marner room until after the season starts and they are on LTIR.

It seems like it has completely shut the door on negotiating with him.... maybe a bully move.

EDIT:

I seem to recall this came up a couple offseason ago (with Toronto again), and everyone thought they had pooched themselves out of signing Connor Brown.  It was clarified they could use LTIR in the offseason to exceed the cap by more than the 10% allowed.

So it is possible that some obscure CBA details mean it gives them more ability to use LTIR more efficiently to pay Marner.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Arrow 1983 said:

Come on guys this is not difficult to figure out

:wacko:

This changes nothing.  Marner 'could have' signed on day 1 before this deal.

You haven't really 'figured out' anything that anyone else here didn't already understand.

• Upvote 3

Just now, oldnews said:

You haven't really 'figured out' anything that anyone else here didn't already understand.

No kidding.

I think everyone knows Clarkson will be on LTIR. How this helps them gain money for Marner is a mystery.

Dubas should be focusing his energy on dumping salary not picking up dead cap for mid round picks.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Why?

How does this affect Marner signing?

From what I’ve read so far, in the case Marner talks go into the season and he signs like Nylander did. Marner will not only get paid big bucks but it will also get prorated making it higher next season (Nylander’s cap hit was $10mil last season before coming back down). 

The flexibility is that they won’t have to move another massive contract to make room with the extra LTIR limit). It doesn’t effect their situation this offseason as much as if negotiations go into next season.

I think this shows the Marner and the Leafs still are not close.

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Ltir only works if you are at the top of the cap or within range of the salary being replaced

If your cap is 79.5 million and a player making 3 million gets injured you can only go over the cap by 1.0 million

79.5+3 =82.5

82.5-81.5= 1 mill

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 2

1 minute ago, Aspie said:

From what I’ve read so far, in the case Marner talks go into the season and he signs like Nylander did. Marner will not only get paid big bucks but it will also get prorated making it higher next season (Nylander’s cap hit was $10mil last season before coming back down). 

The flexibility is that they won’t have to move another massive contract to make room with the extra LTIR limit). It doesn’t effect their situation this offseason as much as if negotiations go into next season.

I think this shows the Marner and the Leafs still are not close.

I’m not getting it.

They still have to be cap compliant when the season starts even with the LTIR contracts.

How does waiting until day 1 to sign Marner give them an extra 2-3 mil to sign him?