The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] CDC's Top Ten Canucks Prospects (Day 1)

Rate this topic

Top 10 Prospects  

140 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey gang! 

With the dog days of summer completely screwing with us right about now, I decided to start something that would make us feel a bit more cheerful, and what makes us feel better than talking about ourselves? That's right, nothing! Well, day by day (hopefully I can stay on top of this for you guys) I'll post a new thread, so I can give ample time for you guys to vote. I'll give about 24 hours before the list is compiled and the new thread is up. Today we start with our best prospect! A variety of factors could change different lists, but what I do, is think about who I'd want to build a team around, if given the choice. I am including goalies as well.

If you have anyone in mind that I omitted or forgot about, let me know and I'll add them to the poll. Standard Calder trophy rules apply.

CDC's Top Ten Canucks Prospects 

Discussion is encouraged! 

Thank you, 

Go Canucks Go!! 

Stamkos  :canucks:

EDIT: If a mod could move this to Prospects / In The System please, that'd be much appreciated. I didn't mean to put it here. Thank you!

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, Stamkos said:

I added prospects into the poll as I thought of them. Good luck :) 

I would add the following guys.

1. Guillaume Brisebois (still Calder eligible)

2. Jack Rathbone (definitely a contender for the top 10)

3. Kole Lind (disappointing year last  year but could improve),

4. Zach MacEwen (quite possibly an early call-up this year)

5. Lukas Jasek (continues under the radar but has done as well as any skater prospect in Utica. It took a lot of determination for him to even get to Utica)

6. William Lockwood (although going back to Michigan for his 4th year means he can sign with anyone next summer)

Other prospects who are probably not contenders for the top 10 but might get some interest include the following

D-men: Teves, Rafferty, Chatfield, Utunen, Sautner, Eliot

Forwards: Gadjovich, Palmu, Kappan, Focht

Goalies: Kielly, Silovs

Just in case anyone is wondering about the Calder eligibility criteria, they are as follows.

1. Not more than 25 NHL games in any prior season.

2. Cannot have any two prior seasons with 6 or more NHL games in each of those two seasons.

3. Must be under 26 as of Sept. 15.

I think Hughes will run away with #1 but after that it will get interesting.

I think #2 will be between Podkolzin and Demko. 

Demko is obviously a lot closer to the NHL and will start the season as the Canuck backup. But Podkolzin has fantastic potential. There is still a lot uncertainty with a guy his age and there is also the Russian factor but, as Judd Brackett said, he was just "too much player" for the Canucks to pass on. For the second year in a row the Canucks had a player fall to them in the draft who was arguably a top 3 talent. (And EP may be turn to be the best player in the draft from the year before that.)

Edited by JamesB
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, JamesB said:

5. Lukas Jasek (continues under the radar but has done as well as any skater prospect in Utica. It took a lot of determination for him to even get to Utica)

6. William Lockwood (although going back to Michigan for his 4th year means he can sign with anyone next summer)

Other prospects who are probably not contenders for the top 10 but might get some interest include the following

Just in case anyone is wondering about the Calder eligibility criteria, they are as follows.

2. Cannot have any two prior seasons with 6 or more NHL games in each of those two seasons.

Demko is obviously a lot closer to the NHL and will start the season as the Canuck backup. But Podkolzin has fantastic potential. There is still a lot uncertainty with a guy his age and there is also the Russian factor but, as Judd Brackett said, he was just "too much player" for the Canucks to pass on. For the second year in a row the Canucks had a player fall to them in the draft who was arguably a top 3 talent. (And EP may be turn to be the best player in the draft from the year before that.)

Could see Hoglander in the #4th and #5th spot. 

6 hours ago, JamesB said:

Today is just for the number 1 spot. I don’t see any of those guys that you mentioned receiving votes, at least for today. Maybe day 7/8, but not today

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

It will be interesting to see how voters balance ceiling vs likelihood of hitting said ceiling. I voted for Hughes here, but I think Demko is also a decent option.

It’s a decent debate between Hughes/Demko. They both have the chance to be top 10 in their respective positions, if not higher. Which position is more valuable to a team? 

A legit #1 defender or a top 10 goalie?

9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Kind of unfair, as Hughes has already played in the NHL and is obviously our greatest need right now. And Demko is not a prospect.

#2 should be Juolevi IMO.

I agree.  Hughes and Demko, guaranteed to play for the big team next year, are no more prospective players than are Pettersson and Gaudette.

So in my voting, I omitted them.  Prolly skews the results though

13 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Kind of unfair, as Hughes has already played in the NHL and is obviously our greatest need right now. And Demko is not a prospect.

#2 should be Juolevi IMO.

1 minute ago, Googlie said:

I agree.  Hughes and Demko, guaranteed to play for the big team next year, are no more prospective players than are Pettersson and Gaudette.

So in my voting, I omitted them.  Prolly skews the results though

I’m doing this as per Calder rules. If they’re eligible, they’re prospects in this. 

I’m doing 10 different threads for this. Once we see who wins at around 10pm PT, a new thread will be up for the #2 spot, and so on. 

Top 30 Canucks Prospects

1. Hughes

2. Podkolzin

3. Demko

4. Juolevi

5. Hoglander

6. Woo

7. Madden

8. Dipietro

9. Macewen

10. Rathbone

11.Lind

12. Jasek

13. Lockwood

14. Keppen

15. Brisebois

16. L. Karlsson

17. Sautner

18. Gadjovich

19. Utunen

20. Chatfield

21. Focht

22. Malone

23. Palmu

24. Kielly

25. Plasek

26. Silovs

27. Thiessen

28. McDonagh

29. Manuykan

30 .Costmar

• Upvote 1

By the rookie criteria stated, Demko and Hughes are still prospects, it is possible for either or both to disappointed pre-seasons and be demoted to get their games back together:

1. Hughes

2. Podkolzin

3. Demko

4. Juolevi

5. Rafferty

6. Hoglander

7. Woo

8. Rathbone

9. Madden

10. Dipietro

Honorable mentions:

MacEwan

Jasek

Lockwood

Sautner

Brisebois

Lind

Tevis

Gadjovich

Keppen

Karlsson

Eliot

In praise of Benning, and after following the Canucks since 1970, I have never seen the Canucks so rich in prospects who could conceivably play games for this team. That’s 49 years. And that is with quality young players already in the lineup - Boeser, Pettersson,  Gaudette, Horvat (24), and Virtanen (22). The window for this team may be very broad. And Tryamkin waiting in the wings who could be a significant addition.

Edited by Ray_Cathode
Added last sentence
  • Upvote 3

number one is hughes ,  there really shouldn't even be a debate about it ,   I don't really consider demko a prospect  anymore     ps  well apparently demko is consider a prospect  , my bad   so he would be 2   or 1b  

Edited by the grinder

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

By the rookie criteria stated, Demko and Hughes are still prospects, it is possible for either or both to disappointed pre-seasons and be demoted to get their games back together:

1. Hughes

2. Podkolzin

3. Demko

4. Juolevi

5. Rafferty

6. Hoglander

7. Woo

8. Rathbone

9. Madden

10. Dipietro

Honorable mentions:

MacEwan

Jasek

Lockwood

Sautner

Brisebois

Lind

Tevis

Gadjovich

Keppen

Karlsson

Eliot

In praise of Benning, and after following the Canucks since 1970, I have never seen the Canucks so rich in prospects who could conceivably play games for this team. That’s 49 years. And that is with quality young players already in the lineup - Boeser, Pettersson,  Gaudette, Horvat (24), and Virtanen (22). The window for this team may be very broad. And Tryamkin waiting in the wings who could be a significant addition.

You seem pretty high on Rafferty. What makes that so?

1. Hughes

2. Demko

3. Podkolzin

4. Juolevi (could jump to a tie for #3 if he shows well after knee surgery)

5. Hoglander

6. Woo

7. Rathbone

8. Dipietro

9. Keppen

10. Madden

Our top 4 is really good imo. Hughes and Demko have tier 1 potential for their respective positions. Podkolzin is likely to be a tier 2 potential with many thinking he could even be a tier 1 type. Juolevi underrated and could turn out to be a strong #2 defenseman as long as he recovers well from his knee surgery)

Edited by Yung1
changed my mind

6 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

You seem pretty high on Rafferty. What makes that so?

He played two games last fall and played better each shift. In the last half of the second game, he looked like he was born to play in the NHL. The shifts he had with Hughes were sublime - he and Hughes with the Pettersson line played like they had been born to play with each other. He was very dependable in his own end and made strong, useful outlet passes, he was strong enough to skate the puck out of trouble, very aware of where his teammates were, but mostly, when he played with our best offensive players he was on the same wavelength. Lots of players generate huge numbers in junior or college, but when they get to the NHL they just don’t seem to think on the same wavelength. From the little we saw of Rafferty last year, he seems to think an NHL game. NHL players think at another level. You may remember that when Tanev came up, after his first game his teammates already recognized that he played an NHL game. From what I’ve seen of Rafferty, in admittedly short exposure, in my humble opinion, he looks that same way. I remember when other defence prospects came up in the past few years, only Sautner looked comfortable that quickly (and that was only in his defensive game). Even Larsen, that had a strong game in Sweden and later in Russia, just did not fit. In the small NHL rink, being pressured by the smartest, strongest, fastest players in the world, the thing that matters is how quickly you process the game - and again, in my opinion, it is that that separates the fair from the good and the good from the great. I think Rafferty has a pro game. But, like I said, just a short exposure that could well prove to be wrong - but what I saw I liked.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

He played two games last fall and played better each shift. In the last half of the second game, he looked like he was born to play in the NHL. The shifts he had with Hughes were sublime - he and Hughes with the Pettersson line played like they had been born to play with each other. He was very dependable in his own end and made strong, useful outlet passes, he was strong enough to skate the puck out of trouble, very aware of where his teammates were, but mostly, when he played with our best offensive players he was on the same wavelength. Lots of players generate huge numbers in junior or college, but when they get to the NHL they just don’t seem to think on the same wavelength. From the little we saw of Rafferty last year, he seems to think an NHL game. NHL players think at another level. You may remember that when Tanev came up, after his first game his teammates already recognized that he played an NHL game. From what I’ve seen of Rafferty, in admittedly short exposure, in my humble opinion, he looks that same way. I remember when other defence prospects came up in the past few years, only Sautner looked comfortable that quickly (and that was only in his defensive game). Even Larsen, that had a strong game in Sweden and later in Russia, just did not fit. In the small NHL rink, being pressured by the smartest, strongest, fastest players in the world, the thing that matters is how quickly you process the game - and again, in my opinion, it is that that separates the fair from the good and the good from the great. I think Rafferty has a pro game. But, like I said, just a short exposure that could well prove to be wrong - but what I saw I liked.

I don't know much about Rafferty and I think i missed the games he played with the canucks last year. This seems like a well-thought out assessment. Thanks for the good read my guy.

Edited by Yung1
  • Upvote 1

I think all these lists are roughly right.  

I would like to note that if we had a forward who had been as dominant and impressive in the OHL as Dipietro has been as a goalie, he would be ranked much higher.  Maybe 2nd.

We tend to undervalue Goalies as they seem harder to project.