The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] CDC’s Top Ten Canucks Prospects (Day 3)

Rate this topic

Top Ten Prospects  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What’s good, mates. 

You've decided that big boy Vasiliev Podkolzolofin is our second best prospect, but it was close. I gave you the extra day because of the slim 15 vote gap, but it never came close to closing. 

Now, we have some tougher choices to make. Do we go with Thatcher, who could be our goalie of the future? Do we go with Juolevi, who got 13 points in 18 games and looks to be the number 1 guy in Utica right now? What about a dark horse guy, like 5’9 Hogs, or Tyler Madden? Someone else? 

You know the drill by now, make a choice and debate it down below. Let’s hope to see some more discussion, as that’s why I’m doing this! 

CDC’s Top Ten Canucks Prospects 

1. Quinn Hughes - 107/120 (89%) 200.gif
  2. Vasili Puts-goals-in - 62/134 (45%)200.gif

If they’re eligible for a Calder then they're included.

Happy choosing! 

Stamkos 

Edited by Guest

Went with OJ partially because i want to throw him some shade after many belly aching posts I’ve made about him, and the rest because he’s harder to replace.  Demko is deserving too given he’s in the show now, but I believe when OJs 24 he could have a bigger impact.   Don’t think Podz has done enough to prove he’s with these guys yet but get the selection too.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Went with OJ partially because i want to throw him some shade after many belly aching posts I’ve made about him, and the rest because he’s harder to replace.  Demko is deserving too given he’s in the show now, but I believe when OJs 24 he could have a bigger impact.   Don’t think Podz has done enough to prove he’s with these guys yet but get the selection too.

Could be some recency bias too, or “Olli sucks.” I wouldn’t be surprised if some people are anti-DiPietro because of the San Jose game too. 

I’m interested in seeing how this goes :) 

OJ was my selection behind Hughes and Podkolzin ( I have ruled Demko out - he's already in ), OJ's development goes full on this coming season.

I trust Benning's selection, OJ at some point this season is in a regular rotation. 

50 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

Could be some recency bias too, or “Olli sucks.” I wouldn’t be surprised if some people are anti-DiPietro because of the San Jose game too. 

I’m interested in seeing how this goes :) 

Jett Woo is missing from the list. I am pretty sure that was an unintentional slip as it would not surprise me to see Woo get a few votes at this stage, although I personally think that Demko deserves to get the #3 spot easily.

My main reason for thinking that Demko deserves to win at this stage is that he has already shown he can play effectively at the NHL level. His save percentage last year in the NHL was actually slightly above Marky's and better than the NHL average, although that was in a small sample size.

Closeness to being NHL-ready is not the only criterion and I put Podkolzin ahead of Demko even though Podkolzin is further away, but Podkolizin is just too good to avoid putting at #2. I don't think that anyone else on the remaining list, Juolevi or anyone else, has shown enough that we can be confident he will necessarily be a good NHL player, whereas Demko is pretty much there. (Some guys further down will of course become good NHL players. We just don't know for sure which ones -- at least there quite of lot of uncertainty with most guys, including OJ.)

Anyway, back to Woo. It seems to a near-consensus view that OJ is next best D-prospect after Hughes.

I would like to put in an argument for Woo.

In his draft +1 year, Woo had 12 goals and 54 assits for 66 pts in 62 games in the WHL, for 1.06 points per game (PPG).

In his draft +1 year, Juolevi had 10 goals and 32 assists for 42 pts in 58 games for 0.72 PPG, significantly behind Woo. 

(That is regular season only, but Woo played in only 4 playoff games and adding in playoff games does not change the story.)

Woo played on a pretty good team but Juolevi played on a better team, so quality of teammates probably helped Juolevi more than Woo. (London had 99 pts in 68 games and Moose Jaw had 88 pts in 68 games.) And the OHL and WHL are very similar in quality.

Also, Woo is regarded as very strong defensively, although OJ also played key defensive minutes in his draft+1 year. There is probably no clear basis for saying one guy was better than the other defensively. Both guys have had worrying injury problems, so there is probably no real difference on that score.

Woo brings the additional advantage of contributing much more to the physical game. Juolevi was a high draft pick and is generally regarded as having high level (but not elite level) skills and a high hockey IQ, but I think Woo is actually progressing faster than Juolevi did at a comparable stage (i.e. in his draft +1 year) and also has good skills and a high hockey IQ.

Juolevi is closer to being NHL ready, but he was drafted two years before Woo, so he should be a lot closer. In terms of what we can expect of each guy as he approaches his mature or peak performance level, it don't think it obvious that Juolevi will be better than Woo. If someone did not know about the relative draft position or about the extensive debate over the Juolevi pick but just looked at on-ice performance (adjusted for age), I think Woo has a strong case. 

Edited by JamesB
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, 6string said:

OJ was my selection behind Hughes and Podkolzin ( I have ruled Demko out - he's already in ), OJ's development goes full on this coming season.

I trust Benning's selection, OJ at some point this season is in a regular rotation. 

is demko in or out   ? im so confused lol  one says in one says out    demko is technically eligible for the calder ? right?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, the grinder said:

is demko in or out   ? im so confused lol  one says in one says out    demko is technically eligible for the calder ? right?

People keep adding their own rules to my list... that’s fine with me, although a little annoying, but I’m basing it off of Calder eligibility. Analysts are as well, and they’ve done this sort of thing for a while. 

11 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

People keep adding their own rules to my list... that’s fine with me, although a little annoying, but I’m basing it off of Calder eligibility. Analysts are as well, and they’ve done this sort of thing for a while. 

I know  im going with prospects that are closer to making the team  hence hughes   demko juolevi  rather than prospect most excited about which is hughes podi demko

As promised, went with Demko. I think Podkolzin and Demko were neck and neck for second/third with everyone else a big step back. Juolevi, Woo, Hoglander and others show a lot of promise and hopefully become NHL players. At this time they appear to be bottom 4/bottom 6 players. We need these types of players and if they can exceed this we are really in for an exciting few years. 

Back on topic I think Demko has proven he can play at the NHL level and is no where near his ceiling yet ... having a solid goalie as your #3 prospect while EP is still on an ELC is a nice spot to be in. 

I went with Demko but I could easily have voted for Juolevi. 

PITB did a prospect pyramid yesterday and it lines up with our voting pretty accurately
https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/the-vancouver-canucks-2019-20-prospect-pyramid-1.23903559

1 was obvious, tier two is playing out exactly as the pyramid is with the guys getting votes.

Wow what a prospect group we have... I'm so grateful to be a Canucks fan. 

#3 is a tough one to vote on... Lots of candidates. I'll give my vote to Olli though. I believe he'll soon bust out. 

Also Carson Focht lol... I hope this kid makes the main squad one day. 

19 minutes ago, apollo said:

Wow what a prospect group we have... I'm so grateful to be a Canucks fan. 

#3 is a tough one to vote on... Lots of candidates. I'll give my vote to Olli though. I believe he'll soon bust out. 

Also Carson Focht lol... I hope this kid makes the main squad one day. 

Focht is #20 playing for team Canada vs Sweden on TSN right now in the summer showcase. Kid looks good.

• Cheers 1