The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mid-Season Deal(Proposal)

Not spending too much time on CDC this summer, but I'd like to leave this thread(for folks to kick around). We're all in summer-spec mode at this juncture, so howza'bout basing a proposal on a given(& somewhat realistic) mid-season scenario? For the sake of discussion, let's imagine the first half plays out nicely, with these particulars:

- we're in a PO spot(with a bit of pts buffer, around 6th, or 7th in Conference)

- vets are all over-achieving. Team has finally enjoyed a healthy 1st half

- In the east, 2 or 3 teams that started well, have been hit by a slew of injuries

- We're offered the "Miller deal" for one of our key vets. Obtaining team gives us a 1st(2020) that shifts to 2021, IF they miss PO's

- Lastly, our depth-youth are also performing well down in farm(college, Euros too)

Markstrom, Tanev, Sutter, Pearson & Baer are all in top form. First two could land us a (likely later) 1st rounder. Latter 3 guys get us a 1st, but we need to include a decent prospect(or 2020 3rd rounder). Roussel is about to return also, so we smoothly integrate him, as we land another key pick.

After the Lu-recapture crap, it's somewhat enticing to dump one of these aforementioned contracts, if there's mostly only a pick coming back. Such a decision shifts more emphasis on even more youth in the 2nd half of season. Yet IF we crash out, TBay doesn't nab our 2020 pick, & the pressure to finish strong shifts(definitively) into the subsequent season, of course.

& if things go(basically) perfect? We make PO's in 2020, & play great, winning at least a round. Team out east(we made swap with) also makes PO's, rendering a 20th(ballpark) OA pick.

Perhaps we attach that pick to Loui the sloth, & clear our books of all radioactive cap? Having all our picks topped-up, opens the door for more aggressive moves. With an ED approaching, I'd say it's reasonable to bank our near future on a more rapid integration of youth.

***********************************IN Summary************************************

Q #1: Yes/no, if things are going smoothly at mid-season, do you risk such a deal?

Question #2: What is another team you might envision taking such a venture? Which player(s) of ours would it take from our end to hit the mark?

• Wat 1

I like qwijibo's answer...……….funny!

But, seriously

Here is what I think Benning is running into

#1. First of all Sutter, Tanev and Baertschi (3 of our most skilled tradeable players) have continuous injury problem history

#2. Eriksson is older, expensive and in an offensive first league, does not produce enough

This is compounded by the fact that decent veterans players are being cut for younger less expensive players, this in essence devalues the players we would trade, because

teams can find them in free agency at discount prices. It should be noted that all of the first 3 would have better value if not for their injury history.

It is about cap, current value, their own prospects maturity, and again cap hit, which all forces teams to bring in kids instead of veterans (IMO). So, unless a team is a contending team, which is aging, and on its last gasp, you are not going to find a team that want to give up their 1st rounder (even 2nd rounders are being held more often) 

As for Eriksson...………..how much value does he have? Especially when Thornton, Marleau, Brassard and Williams are still out there as UFA's and will be signing for huge discounts. Eriksson does not bring the name, nor the scoring to the table that they do.

The added depth/talent this offseason(namely Miller, Myers, Ferland & Benn) makes a resurgence quite possible, with some of our oft-injured vets. I'd say there's perhaps a 30~50% chance Van might perform(up to 40 game mark) as I outlined above. Don't see it as all that far-fetched.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, smithers joe said:

probably cost us boeser or horvat. benning tried to make trades, but other GM’s only wanted or future core players. 

Yep...or Miller ha ha.   Doubt any of these guys except maybe Markstrom would get us a first and that’s if he’s continued at a .920 or better rate.   Sutter no way.  Even if he’s dynamite and healthy.  Tanev ...well I guess if they are super desperate but can’t see why the couldn’t find a better deal somewhere else, TDL is the only time overpayments are common...and even then it’s a stretch - the market would have to be pretty thin.   All these guys except Markstrom come with many years of injury problems and or declining pay and some cap hits that aren’t so easy to add.    The best I could see is a second and maybe a throw in B prospect.

5 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

The added depth/talent this offseason(namely Miller, Myers, Ferland & Benn) makes a resurgence quite possible, with some of our oft-injured vets. I'd say there's perhaps a 30~50% chance Van might perform(up to 40 game mark) as I outlined above. Don't see it as all that far-fetched.

It’s not far fetched that we are 6th or so in our conference....but still don’t think anyone would offer up a deal like Miller unless they are getting a guy like Miller.  The TDL would be a better time to squeeze blood out of a stone, and even then I don’t see anyone going for those guys as other better options will be available, and even more importantly JB wont sell but keep them for our own playoff push....unless we are 10-13 and trades Miller for more then we paid for him.  Wouldn’t that be interesting...he’s better then Tatar and look Vegas paid for two years of his remaining contract (and he wasn’t even played).   

• Cheers 1

How’s this for a hypothetical.  What if we are 12th in our conference at the deadline, mostly because the usual suspects go down and maybe one or two of our young core and playoffs are all but out of the picture as a result.

But all the adds did great and kept us from a further slide.  What would Benn, Ferland, Pearson and Miller get us at the TDL?  That could be quite the bounty all the type of guys you’d like to add for the playoffs - As much as 4-5 firsts and a couple seconds and thirds. 

13 hours ago, IBatch said:

How’s this for a hypothetical.  What if we are 12th in our conference at the deadline, mostly because the usual suspects go down and maybe one or two of our young core and playoffs are all but out of the picture as a result.

But all the adds did great and kept us from a further slide.  What would Benn, Ferland, Pearson and Miller get us at the TDL?  That could be quite the bounty all the type of guys you’d like to add for the playoffs - As much as 4-5 firsts and a couple seconds and thirds. 

Don't mind such a notion, for guys we obtained in trades(Miller, Leivo, Pearson, Baer & such)..but for signings(esp Ferland & Myers) we've gotta stick with them, for at least more than a season.

Call it fantasy, okay..but I'm gonna remain optimistic for a full team-resurgence. So deep & steady, we risk one asset & get back a nice pick.

As another poster suggested, wouldn't mind if we retain a bit either, if it enhances return.