The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Heavy metal music may have a bad reputation, but it has numerous mental health benefits for fans

Like many other millennials I broke into metal through the much maligned nu metal. Stuff was awesome, lot of it still is and that scene gave rock and metal in general a much needed shot in the arm. I went from stuff like Korn, Linkin Park, Godsmack, Staind, Disturbed, ect to stuff that was a bit older like Metallica, Sabbath, Judas Priest, Motley Crue, ect. Nu metal really was a doorway for a lot of people. I grew up to mostly radio stuff and didn't really have anyone to look to for musical guidance and had to make my own way really, but then Linkin Park and the other bands were blowing up when I was 9-13 and that was it man. It got me through a lot, especially as an angsty young teenager who went through angsty teenager things. 

I had a huge 80's rock/thrash/glam metal phase before gradually shifting towards metalcore and then your more European metal. I've got a soft spot for folk metal, symphonic metal, viking metal and power metal. But I dug into your death, goth, groove and industrial metal too. Metal is great in that it's got so many different genres and sub-genres beneath it's umbrella. 

Admittedly I don't touch black, doom or sludge metal much. Of the three I've probably dabbled with black the most. 

Needless to say, I've listened to a lot of metal and appreciate a lot of different sub-genres. It's beautiful, often complex, genuine stuff. But it doesn't have to be complex. There's stuff that I'll listen to if I'm angry, happy, sad, ect. Edguy pumps me up, Type O Negative is an all occasions thing, Katatonia gets me when I'm in a more somber/thoughtful mood. I've never understood the misconception that metal is somehow a negative thing. I understand that it's not for everyone but I'll never understand that misconception. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Well I'm a proud metalhead Dad. My 10yr old son asked to listen to "for whom the bell tolls" on our way to the the skatepark yesterday. Told me it's his favorite stoke song.

Pretty sure we busted one of the speakers.

I eased him into metaldom with hairbands and acdc, progressed him into metallica, maiden and now the kid is stoked on megadeth - holy wars, because we blasted that after skating.

Yup. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Love the Japanese enthusiasm.

here is Japanese anti pirating metal.

2:56 ftw 

I don't know what the per capita rate of Japanese metal fans are...but damn, I would put them against any North American or European fans as far as passion goes. That being said, it's not a competition as the majority of hardcore metal fans I know are just happy to have more people along for the ride.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Well I'm a proud metalhead Dad. My 10yr old son asked to listen to "for whom the bell tolls" on our way to the the skatepark yesterday. Told me it's his favorite stoke song.

I eased him into metaldom with hairbands and acdc, progressed him into metallica, maiden and now the kid is stoked on megadeth - holy wars, because we blasted that after skating.

Yup. 

That's some good Dading.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Love the Japanese enthusiasm.

here is Japanese anti pirating metal.

2:56 ftw 

Love Maximum the Hormone. Japan has a great metal scene, tons of energy and variety.

30 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Yup. 

My son and his friends are still playing Megadeth, etc, like we did.

Whats the best is they also play it on guitar, like we did. 

The kids are alright. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

My son and his friends are still playing Megadeth, etc, like we did.

Whats the best is they also play it on guitar, like we did. 

The kids are alright. 

My daughter has taken to music much more organically than my son. She's got rhythm, groove and can focus on detail.... The boy isn't inclined that way, yet.

He's so much boy. An athletic beast. A way better athlete than I was at his age and I was pretty damn good, plus he's an awesome bmx rider, surf/skate and snowboards well too... But he's got no rhythm. The kid cannot keep a beat. 

Hope he learns so he can jam with me and his sister.

52 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I don't know what the per capita rate of Japanese metal fans are...but damn, I would put them against any North American or European fans as far as passion goes. That being said, it's not a competition as the majority of hardcore metal fans I know are just happy to have more people along for the ride.

Ya I agree wholeheartedly.

It certainly points towards something in the music genre that transcends culture.  Pretty cool imo.

i encourage you to if you haven’t done so is to have try at watching the movie I mentioned in an earlier post:

Global Metal 

by Victoria local Sam Dunn

great exposures of various countries including India Iran Brazil and the like and their respective metal scenes.  Great eye opener.

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

Yup. 

This requires a metal emoji.

@StealthNuck

Edited by riffraff
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

10 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

It wasn't just a "Huey Lewis & the News" 'borrowing' elements of the  Ray Parker Jr. Ghostbusters 'song'; I'm pretty sure most of Quet Riot's songs that charted well were just actual covers of Slade songs; hence my lame joke about them being a Slade cover bad.

Nothing wrong per say of covering a song.  Look at Johnny Cash's version of Trent Reznor's "Hurt".  Reznor himself said upon hearing of Cash's version "It was no longer my song".

oh ya i get ya  nothing wrong with covers   garage inc by metallica   the spaghetti incident  G'n'r  some interesting covers on those( cds , album ,media files )   dread zeppelin with  tort elvis   i saw them at the commodore way back great show 

7 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Well it's subjective isn't it?  (no real right answer).   I mean Robert Plant is a bit of fan of the band "Dread Zeppelin" (who often cover Led Zep songs) but fans of Led Zeppelin might not be amused by their "interpretation". 

You'd have to get me pretty drunk though to like this:

• Cheers 1