The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mafia: Tales From The Dungeon [Game over; Mafia win)

Rate this topic

AV.

4 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Ok.

Why are these three toying with us?

I was ready to vote Hogs for Mayor a couple of hours ago. Not so much right now.

Deener, BJ, MR - is there a tp strategy where dominant and experienced players derail and control the dialog in an attempt to isolate wolves by their confusion? Like these three are saying some super sketchy $&!# which seems so openly wolfy it's totally &^@#ing with me.

unvote

I'm not sure. My advice is to ignore it until it infests the thread and into other players. I don't know these 2 well enough to make anything of this tit-for-tat, but if they want to be influential to other players, they will eventually adjust.

Maples, imo, already has enough posts out there to form a hot take opinion of him one way or another. I'm choosing to see him as someone who may have been corrupted by the dark side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Deener, BJ, MR - is there a tp strategy where dominant and experienced players derail and control the dialog in an attempt to isolate wolves by their confusion? Like these three are saying some super sketchy $&!# which seems so openly wolfy it's totally &^@#ing with me.

Not addressed to me but I'll answer this.

Probably depends on who you ask, but I'd say anyone playing in a way that derails the dialog is being anti-town. There are some instances where trying to "confuse the mafia" is beneficial, but those are generally later-game plays that require information that the scum don't have. I have a hard time imagining a scenario where posting cryptic, confusing crap in round 1 actually helps the town.

• Thanks 1
Just now, Intoewsables said:

Not addressed to me but I'll answer this.

Probably depends on who you ask, but I'd say anyone playing in a way that derails the dialog is being anti-town. There are some instances where trying to "confuse the mafia" is beneficial, but those are generally later-game plays that require information that the scum don't have. I have a hard time imagining a scenario where posting cryptic, confusing crap in round 1 actually helps the town.

I've only played one game you with you toews, don't take my specific asks personally. I didn't include Z either.

• Cheers 1
Just now, luckylager said:

I'm trying to think of the players that ran away while the new guys were fighting.

Is there anything to that?

Ohhh. I think I might have figured something out. Probably not though

And congrats to me, that was my 12,000 post on CDC and only about .2% of those have been playing mafia. I talk hockey better than mafia. I like to think I drop some funny $&!# in white noise too.

Time for a beer!

• Cheers 4

@luckylager 1st rounds are generally a crapshoot as there is no definitive information to work with.

So obviously confusion is not in the best interest of the town.

Of course the ideal scenario is for someone to emerge scummy enough to be voted out and flip scum but the odds of a first round hit are the same as the odds of scum in the game. 

So the townie mindset in the first round is to figure out who’s lynch gives the most information going forward. At the beginning of the round an MR lynch was actually looking like it was ideal because of the interactions between me, BJ, Falcon, DM, you and MR. Even if MR flipped town we would still have a lot of info to look back on and work with. 

Since the triumvirate bros. Showed up they have muddied the waters quite a bit and it will be interesting to see MR’s reaction to their play. IMO now the best we can hope for is that we lynch a scum and read the SPEW that comes from a scum flip. 

The other way hedges the bet for the town so that if we do lynch an inno (which is statistically probable) at least some good comes from it. 

The other thing that is generally useful in the first round for the vanilla townies to do is to subtlety lay down sheriff cover. But this is tricky because if you town read a scum they know that you are definitely not the sheriff.  So really only do this if you are confident in your town read of a player. If not it’s best not to do it. 

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Aladeen said:

@luckylager 1st rounds are generally a crapshoot as there is no definitive information to work with.

Of course the ideal scenario is for someone to emerge scummy enough to be voted out and flip scum but the odds of a first round hit are the same as the odds of scum in the game. 

So the townie mindset in the first round is to figure out who’s lynch gives the most information going forward. At the beginning of the round an MR lynch was actually looking like it was ideal because of the interactions between me, BJ, Falcon, DM, you and MR. Even if MR flipped town we would still have a lot of info to look back on and work with. 

Since the triumvirate bros. Showed up they have muddied the waters quite a bit and it will be interesting to see MR’s reaction to their play. IMO now the best we can hope for is that we lynch a scum and read the SPEW that comes from a scum flip. 

The other way hedges the bet for the town so that if we do lynch an inno (which is statistically probable) at least some good comes from it. 

The other thing that is generally useful in the first round for the vanilla townies to do is to subtlety lay down sheriff cover. But this is tricky because if you town read a scum they know that you are definitely not the sheriff.  So really only do this if you are confident in your town read of a player. If not it’s best not to do it. 

HOw the hell do we get a sheriff when we're all in a dungeon being tortured?

• Haha 1
Just now, luckylager said:

HOw the hell do we get a sheriff when we're all in a dungeon being tortured?

I would hope there is a sheriff in this game regardless of flavour. I would estimate that 99% of games contain at least one sheriff. 

Since there is no PMing that most likely means the sheriff got a N0 investigation on a vanilla townie. 

I suppose its possible that AV put literally no power roles in this game but that would likely mean there are only 2 mafia, maybe 3 at most. A game with no sheriff would be very hard to win. 

13 minutes ago, Aladeen said:

@luckylager

It would benefit Town this game if you ignored everything Aladeen said in this post.

• Haha 1