The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian NBA Players Should Be at the World Cup!

Dixon Ward

With Kelly Olynyk bowing out from an injury, this leaves the total NBA presence on Team Canada to Khem Birch and Corey Joseph.  2 solid NBA bench players.

We are missing:

In every interview by TSN these guys go on about how proud they are to be Canadian, but when our country finally has a chance to step up and medal at an international event with some legit world class talent, they all quit.  The media seems afraid to call it what it is.  Disloyalty, quitting, selfish all work.  Canadian Hockey players step up time and time again to play for their country.  These players want to hang out with Drake and chill all summer rather than compete for the country they should love.  

I have always routed for the Canadians in the NBA and have checked their box scores to follow their progress.  I have been looking forward to this "golden age" of Canadian basketball.  It seems none of them give a $h!t.  They had a chance to do something special and play off the Raptors victory and help inspire our youth in the game.  Instead they are all at home playing themselves on NBA Live 19.  Pathetic.  The "journalists" like Michael Grange and Leo Rautins, etc... should be calling them out and not making excuses for them.

I will continue to cheer for Canadian basketball and its players, but this list of guys, other than the injured ones, has really soured me on them.

I hope the ones who did show up have a great tournament and I will be watching and routing for them.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

It's not prestigious to play for Canada.

If this was for the US DreamTeam, you bet all the players would be doing their best to be on that team.  Hiding injuries even.  

I'll take that a step further and say it's not prestigious to play in the World Cup at all, ever. literally nobody cares about the basketball world cup

but let's pretend this is an issue for a moment. most of the players have extremely well-documented relationships with canada and its national team. to think journalists should be shaming players into the team is hilarious. it's not like we don't all know Wiggins' issues. they've been documented endlessly

but most importantly, many of these players are very young and will be stepping into increased or significant roles next year. why risk injury, why risk ANYTHING, to play in a world cup game in CHINA? again, NOBODY CARES.

if I were a member of the Knicks staff, I'd hate for Barret to play.

Dillon Brooks? How many games did even play last year? are we blaming him for not wanting to get ready for the season with his actual team?

gilgeous-alexander released a statement saying he's at a big point in his career and wants to prepare with his teammates. already said he hopes to play for canada in the future, but this summer is just not good for him, etc.

the list goes on

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Australia come from behind to knock off Canada in game one, 108 vs 92.

"The Boomers have got their World Cup campaign off to a winning start with a 108-92 win over Canada as Matthew Dellavedova exploded with 24 points on some high quality shooting.

Australia had to show plenty of heart to pull off the win though as Canada came roaring back in the third quarter with 37 points in the term to go from being down 52-40 at halftime to leading 77-76.

The Boomers rallied in the last term to blow the Canadians out in an important win for their for and against but it was Dellavedova’s shooting and Joe Ingles’ 10 assists that had the commentators and fans talking."

Edited by soda

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2019 at 2:16 PM, Dixon Ward said:

With Kelly Olynyk bowing out from an injury, this leaves the total NBA presence on Team Canada to Khem Birch and Corey Joseph.  2 solid NBA bench players.

We are missing:

In every interview by TSN these guys go on about how proud they are to be Canadian, but when our country finally has a chance to step up and medal at an international event with some legit world class talent, they all quit.  The media seems afraid to call it what it is.  Disloyalty, quitting, selfish all work.  Canadian Hockey players step up time and time again to play for their country.  These players want to hang out with Drake and chill all summer rather than compete for the country they should love.  

I have always routed for the Canadians in the NBA and have checked their box scores to follow their progress.  

Disagree. Players off season is their time off, sit back and relax, have some fun and rest and prepare for the next season. Then wanting to party with Drake is their choice or play 2k is pathetic? Wasn’t it our team that had to do a Fortnite ban DURING the season. They’re human beings after all. They can’t have any fun? 

Obviously they’re going to be proud to represent Canada, I can’t name one Canadian superstar in the NBA. Barely name any Canadian players in the first place.

In addition, these guys have families, they don’t want to be playing ball year around.

If you follow basketball you would know winning a championship is far more important to these guys that Fiba or the olympics lol. They say it all the time. Also there is absolutely no world class talent in Fiba for these guys lol. 

Them not choosing to play for Canada/USA/Spain does not make them selfish or disloyal. Come on man...lol. How tf you come up with this conclusion? Also just cause NHL players play for their country doesn’t make them any more “classy” or “loyal.” :picard:

Basketball has just as much wear and tear as hockey. They don’t want to get injured cause they didn’t give their body a break.

Remember when Tavares sat out a season because of an Olympic injury. Season is over for the Islanders right then and there.

Team USA would absolutely destroy this tournament if they’re real players decided to participate. Lebron, KD, Curry, Harden. That’s just for starters. No team would have any chance against them. I still remember the Olympics they played, slaughtered every song team, too easy for them.

What was the objective of this thread to prove hockey players are better cause they play for their country in the Olympics..lmfao..

Edited by J-23