The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The DumbBrexit / #Wexit thread

JM_

46 minutes ago, inane said:

They are, and cherry picking one off news stories or sharing asinine memes doesn't really help now does it.

Further to that, nobody here has any control over the crime statistics where they live (unless of course, they're criminals) and it's natural for there to be problems with criminal activity in a boom city.

I think both you and Ryan can be happy that you're not dealing with the issues that the GTA is these days.

• Cheers 1

Trickle down works guys, I'm super serious right now

https://www.taxfairness.ca/sites/default/files/resource/corporate_income_tax_freedom_report_2020.pdf

Most recently, Alberta Premier Jason Kenney, supported by corporate tax cut advocate Jack Mintz, claimed that cutting that province’s big business corporate tax rate from 15% to 10% would attract and increase investment, grow the economy and create 55,000 new jobs. Instead, we’ve seen job losses, layoffs and major investments cancelled by some of the largest corporate recipients of these tax cuts, while Kenney’s government has cut public spending and programs to pay for these tax cuts, causing further job loss and economic decline.

There are a variety of reasons why corporate tax cuts have failed to stimulate business investment, but governments and tax cut proponents haven’t appeared to be willing to grapple with these, and instead applied the same old failed prescriptions.

Corporations won’t increase their productive investments in the economy unless they expect people or businesses will buy their increased production, and they won’t do that while demand is low. If corporate tax cuts don’t lead to increased investment, if their benefits don’t trickle down and if governments cut public spending to pay for these corporate tax cuts, then demand will decline and corporations will invest less as well. Paradoxically, an overemphasis on cutting corporate taxes and other supply-side measures to stimulate investment instead seems to have reduced demand, investment and economic
growth.

In addition, researchers at the IMF and elsewhere have found, rising corporate concentration and market powerabetted by lower corporate tax rateshave been associated with lower rates of investment and innovation, as well as slower economic growth.x In fact the IMF estimates that lower rates of investments associated with higher corporate markups and industry concentration have reduced overall economic output (GDP) by about one percentage point in advanced economies since 2000.xi

At each instance, proponents of corporate tax cuts have claimed that investment would have been even lower Economic models often simply assume that tax cuts will automatically be re-invested in the jurisdiction that granted the tax cut. However, corporations are much more flexible in how new funds can be used. They can just as easily re- invest those funds in another jurisdiction, they can pay that cash out to shareholders or executives, they can hoard the money, they can buy other companies or speculate on land, all options rarely considered in standard economic models.

Economic multipliers used by Finance Canada and Statistics Canada estimate that $1 billion in corporate tax cuts would generate approximately only 150 jobs in the first year, rising to about 1,400 jobs after two years, at a cost of about $730,000 per job. Meanwhile $1 billion in public spending on infrastructure, housing, and measures for low income households would generate 1,200 to 1,500 jobs in the first year, rising to an average of 7,000 additional jobs after two years, at a cost of about $140,000 per job.xv By these estimates, cutting spending by $1 billion to pay for $1 billion in corporate tax cuts would lead to a loss of about 5,600 jobs.

Edited by Warhippy

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Further to that, nobody here has any control over the crime statistics where they live (unless of course, they're criminals) and it's natural for there to be problems with criminal activity in a boom city.

Are you saying Chestermere Lake is a boom community ?

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Stromer always says living in Surrey is not safe due to crime... but  moonshining in his little one stop light town also attracts alot of crime.....

He also wants the RCMP out of Alberta....  which will most likely result in more expensive / less constable on his unpaved gravel roads...

Very complicated issues  to debate. 

I don't agree with the guy on much politically, but a local police force staffed by officers who know the area is a better option, and has far better accountability.  Relying on the RCMP is taking the cheap way out of a very important expense that affects the quality of life for the whole community.  Policing is not where corners should be cut.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I don't agree with the guy on much politically, but a local police force staffed by officers who know the area is a better option, and has far better accountability.  Relying on the RCMP is taking the cheap way out of a very important expense that affects the quality of life for the whole community.  Policing is not where corners should be cut.

Hmmmm...   i think the victims and their families at Pickton Farm may agree with you......

7 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Stromer always says living in Surrey is not safe due to crime... but  moonshining in his little one stop light town also attracts alot of crime.....

He also wants the RCMP out of Alberta....  which will most likely result in more expensive / less constable on his unpaved gravel roads...

Very complicated issues  to debate. 

To be fair that is usually my rebuttal when you attack Alberta, unless you attack ndp then I just upvote you. B)

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's less than 30 minutes from Calgary...

Down town Calgary. 5 minutes to to east hills or stoney trail. However when I need a tin of Copenhagen or some more ammo I just run into strathmore. B)

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Hmmmm...   i think the victims and their families at Pickton Farm may agree with you......

:huh:

16 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

To be fair that is usually my rebuttal when you attack Alberta, unless you attack ndp then I just upvote you. B)

Down town Calgary. 5 minutes to to east hills or stoney trail. However when I need a tin of Copenhagen or some more ammo I just run into strathmore. B)

:huh:

I thought you made your own? 

32 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

it's mind blowing that you think you're the abused in an abusive relationship while simultaneously claiming to be the best and have the best everything. are you even registering how ridiculous that is? 

Just now, inane said:

it's mind blowing that you think you're the abused in an abusive relationship while simultaneously claiming to be the best and have the best everything. are you even registering how ridiculous that is? 

Honestly there is no point of you and I discussing anything you just don't understand much. It is Alberta paying for it not Ottawa on top of what we are paying for all those best things and no taxes we are also giving more than 20 billion dollars away a year to Ottawa. So what you are saying doesn't make any sense whatsoever you do not understand the difference between Federal and provincial and furthermore why don't you call your MLA and ask if British Columbia can do more for the rest of Canada pretty rich of you the one another Province to pay for all of its own stuff and pay for the rest of Canada get over yourself you don't do it in British Columbia Ontario doesn't Quebec doesn't in fact nobody else does so why should we? Do you even realize how ridiculous you sound when you say things that make no sense?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Honestly there is no point of you and I discussing anything you just don't understand much. It is Alberta paying for it not Ottawa on top of what we are paying for all those best things and no taxes we are also giving more than 20 billion dollars away a year to Ottawa. So what you are saying doesn't make any sense whatsoever you do not understand the difference between Federal and provincial and furthermore why don't you call your MLA and ask if British Columbia can do more for the rest of Canada pretty rich of you the one another Province to pay for all of its own stuff and pay for the rest of Canada get over yourself you don't do it in British Columbia Ontario doesn't Quebec doesn't in fact nobody else does so why should we? Do you even realize how ridiculous you sound when you say things that make no sense?

That's one serious run on sentence that doesn't even make sense lol

My point is that you apparently have all the best stuff. You have the highest paid this and the highest paid that. You have the best x, y and z. You've told me this, repeatedly. And you give money to Ottawa. Ok. 

And so you have all the best everything, and you give money to Ottawa and you're still unhappy? You're unhappy that despite having the best stuff and having the ability to give more money to Ottawa, you still feel abused? This just sounds like pure greed. I think at the heart of it you just hate sharing and are greedy. Just own it.

29 minutes ago, inane said:

That's one serious run on sentence that doesn't even make sense lol

My point is that you apparently have all the best stuff. You have the highest paid this and the highest paid that. You have the best x, y and z. You've told me this, repeatedly. And you give money to Ottawa. Ok. 

And so you have all the best everything, and you give money to Ottawa and you're still unhappy? You're unhappy that despite having the best stuff and having the ability to give more money to Ottawa, you still feel abused? This just sounds like pure greed. I think at the heart of it you just hate sharing and are greedy. Just own it.

Greed wtf? When is enough enough? Why don't you guys give more? We have high unemployment rate, growing debt and Canadians working against but still want our money. Lol you're a beauty. 

24 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Isn't Penticton right of Trumpsville.......

Ask the hippie he lives there and probably has over 200 years of first hand experience of penticton. 

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Greed wtf? When is enough enough? Why don't you guys give more? We have high unemployment rate, growing debt and Canadians working against but still want our money. Lol you're a beauty. 

Ask the hippie he lives there and probably has over 200 years of first hand experience of penticton. 

That's what I'm asking you. You apparently have the best everything and yet you still complain.

So you don't have the best economy and jobs? Cause this is completely contradictory to everything you've told me...

5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I  thought you still had a home in penticton....    

I thought  CDN conservative party was way too liberal  for Pentiction voters.......

10 minutes ago, inane said:

That's what I'm asking you. You apparently have the best everything and yet you still complain.

So you don't have the best economy and jobs? Cause this is completely contradictory to everything you've told me...

Well last time I checked we made the most money. The economy is struggling due to certainly people trying up projects that cause us to lose billions annually. 

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I  thought you still had a home in penticton....    

I thought  CDN conservative party was way too liberal  for Pentiction voters.......

I do. I find Penticton pretty left leaning haha. I'm there less and less I don't have a feel for what people are saying or thinking there. See stuff on fb but that like 100 people out of like 37,000

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well last time I checked we made the most money. The economy is struggling due to certainly people trying up projects that cause us to lose billions annually. 

I do. I find Penticton pretty left leaning haha. I'm there less and less I don't have a feel for what people are saying or thinking there. See stuff on fb but that like 100 people out of like 37,000

I know i guy that too  a city job in penticton... water skiis on his lunch break... LOL>>