The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elevating each other. Teammates.

Rate this topic

danjr

I think Petey coming on board really inspired others...when you have a guy that good and he's still not satisfied and wants to work hard to improve, it rubs off.  Bo's leadership, too, in how he does whatever is asked of him and goes about it quietly and with a go to work with a lunchpail mentality.  Brock, with how he faces adversity but still has time to give of himself.  Stech's warrior play until you puke work ethic.  Marky's will to elevate his game to the best level possible.  With Demko under his wing, also showing a level of compete but, more than that, learn.  Quinn's presence, with his absolute love of the game and the fearless way he plays.

I could go on and on...but you're right.  I don't even feel it's competition as much as it is motivation that they instill in each other.  

It'll have bumps in the road...all teams experience them and it's that adversity that is the true test over time.  I feel like they have some of that already under their belt and are proving to be something really special together. 

The team that Shreks together stays together.  Something like that.

5 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Virtanen I think we can all agree is not a bonafide top 6 talent, maybe this season is his coming out party but we need to wait and see on that.

I'll have to strongly disagree here. He has already proven to belong on a line with Bo and get the minutes. If anything its Pearson who is a question mark for top 6. He shows it sometimes and sometimes he doesn't (Not unlike Jake) but he is also at a point in his career(TP) that if he was going to be a night in night out bonafied top 6 he would be showing it by now. (I do like TP by the way, I thought he was a solid addition and continue to think so)

5 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I want to bring up another really good point, a team plays better when they have players in the top 6 that ARE top 6 players. Last season we had 3. One a rookie, the other a injured sophomore and the third was Bo Horvat. Now we have 5 players in the top 6 that are legit top 6 players. Virtanen I think we can all agree is not a bonafide top 6 talent, maybe this season is his coming out party but we need to wait and see on that.

Sometimes the best way to have a good team is to have good players play on that team. Benning revamped the forward group and revamped the defense. Benn, Myers and Hughes have been major contributors for this team. Miller's impact goes without saying but he is having more of an impact on the team than I'd say Boeser and Petey are. Pearson and Bo have been nothing short of fantastic together on that 2nd line. Defensively responsible and a handful on offence. I'd say Miller is elevating this team more than the guys you mentioned in the OP. Miller and Bo are both MVP candidates for this team so far and it's not even close.

I think the role players on this team deserve a lot of credit. Beagle is a dog out there. Guy commands respect. Miller is a beast. I love the stability guy's like Benn and Stecher have on defense, healthy Tanev going a long way too. Schaller has played really good so far. Sutter is healthy and looking good. These guys most weren't a fan of bringing in at first cause "rEbUiLd" have been instrumental in turning this team into what it is, and their guidance will pay huge dividends when the stars fully come into their own.

Jake is a top six talent.  That’s why he was drafted so high.  Now he’s matured enough to put his talents to use, and show why he was drafted so high.  

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

I'll have to strongly disagree here. He has already proven to belong on a line with Bo and get the minutes. If anything its Pearson who is a question mark for top 6. He shows it sometimes and sometimes he doesn't (Not unlike Jake) but he is also at a point in his career(TP) that if he was going to be a night in night out bonafied top 6 he would be showing it by now. (I do like TP by the way, I thought he was a solid addition and continue to think so)

I need to see it for more than 3 games. I defended Jake in the face of people calling him a bust 2 years ago. I'll also take it slow before declaring him a for sure top 6 talent. If he can keep playing at this level I'll be more than happy. Jake has been my fav Canuck since he was drafted, but we can't be rushing to conclusions before seeing anything for a meaningful amount of time. For better or for worse.

22 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I need to see it for more than 3 games. I defended Jake in the face of people calling him a bust 2 years ago. I'll also take it slow before declaring him a for sure top 6 talent. If he can keep playing at this level I'll be more than happy. Jake has been my fav Canuck since he was drafted, but we can't be rushing to conclusions before seeing anything for a meaningful amount of time. For better or for worse.

I've only seen top end talent excel more as the pressure has been piled on, that's what makes them top end. I think he's needed the reins off for a while, but Green did the right thing waiting. He's what, 22?

I respect your hesitancy and get that you are a supporter of his, but I must disagree with your assessment, with my rose colored glasses firmly in place. =)

5 minutes ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

I've only seen top end talent excel more as the pressure has been piled on, that's what makes them top end. I think he's needed the reins off for a while, but Green did the right thing waiting. He's what, 22?

I respect your hesitancy and get that you are a supporter of his, but I must disagree with your assessment, with my rose colored glasses firmly in place. =)

I agree, they need to let him make mistakes and play in the top 6. I’m glad they’re giving him that room to just play and not immediately punish him for every mistake. I respect the rose coloured glasses though. Easier on the heart. 

• Cheers 1

Was thinking about this yesterday ....

Another example in a similar wheelhouse that ties into this is what's happening in Utica right now. By sending Baertschi and Goldobin down, their presence, play, and skill pulled everyone forward to a higher level. Gaudette's presence should have a similar effect.

• Upvote 1