The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

$22/hr is average wage needed to afford a two-bedroom apartment in Canada: report

Ryan Strome

20 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Really.  In abbotsford a 1 bed room is now over 1000.  I have friends there.    One friend is in a newly reno basement suite.. at 1100 a month. 1 bedroom. 

My buddy just took a 1 bedroom in burnaby for 1700 a month...

Are you sure about your prices in the Whack.....

I'm paying $1100 a two bedroom place approx 900sq ft in surrey near a skytrain, although it is a good deal your friend paying 1000 for a one bedroom in abby is getting bent over a barrel. All utilities included.

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

A two bedroom rental in Chilliwack is $700-800 per month for a nice one. Its not going to be easy but is definitely doable, sometimes you have to live within your means. 

Wow I didn't know they were that cheap. Is the article inaccurate?

21 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

things like limiting the percentage annual increases. 

My preference is for a crap ton of co-op housing tho first and let the market sort out wages for the most part. We're on a trend to a $20 min wage within 10 years anyway. 

I thought provinces had that in place already?

16 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

How do you drive and type at the same time.... ?  Is it because in Alberta you always drive in a straight line on flat no hill roads.....  Does that make it easier to type and drive...

Lol

Lots of sitting around not driving in this industry. 

But up into 2015 the trucks were getting 118/hr now it's 90/hr. Pretty hard to pay 30/hr.

51 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Wait, what? If you don't have a good job, why should you have some sort of "right" to not have a roommate?

I know people who have gone to live in London as young adults. They had to have multiple roommates in smaller accommodations to make it work.

Or we could address the affordability issue. I mean, I know the governments won't and this is completely deliberate but that is ideally far more practical than telling all of the plebs to move away or "roommate" it up 

Edited by Tortorella's Rant

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

I'm paying $1100 a two bedroom place approx 900sq ft in surrey near a skytrain, although it is a good deal your friend paying 1000 for a one bedroom in abby is getting bent over a barrel. 

Abby is same or more than surrey actually..... Abby has a huge rental shortage...  I know it doesn't make sense.... 

6 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Or we could address the affordability issue. I mean, I know the governments won't and this is completely deliberate but that is ideally far more practical than telling all of the plebs to move away or "roommate" it up 

Ironically, 2 ways everyone can "address the affordability issue" is to 1) get a roommate, or 2) move somewhere else. Like any market, by taking steps to reduce demand, we all contribute in our own way to it.

Myself, I left Vancouver years ago because I thought it was too expensive. Very happy with my decision, and it also had a positive benefit (however minute) on all those who wanted to stay in Vancouver.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

In some ways I agree with you in others I don't. Canadians should be able to live comfortably anywhere in the country however reality is you need to move around at times to make it work. So many BCers choose poverty for them and their families instead of moving somewhere colder and where they don't know people. 

Also this younger generation always wants government to fix things, governments never fix anything and they're the worst at running businesses. 

Not trying to be rude but every now and again you need to man up.

That being said I agree the situation is getting out of hand but to stop it people with mortgages like myself will get screwed. So how to fix it? I feel for people in these situations but I also know many who love the beaches and climate so much that they will choose poverty over money and colder weather and flatness instead of beaches. These people seem to want to blame then fix themselves. 

I'm not a cold hearted far right guy I just think this is concerning for single moms, seniors and less fortunate not a male in his 20s who could relocate and make far more money.

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

Based on what you guys are telling me the problem doesn't seem bad. I mean the prices seem very similar possibly cheaper than Calgary. The issue I see in BC is low wages, so if your profession doesn't pay you enough relocate to AB, Sask or Manitoba. 

Many people are taking care of grand kids, relatives and/or elderly parents.  Moving out of province  is not an option for many

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

No thats not how economics works, that just raises the cost of living as well and solves nothing. Need more job creation, people should think about that before they prioritize climate change over a strong economy.  

Ignoring your silly anti environmental stance, it's also why people shouldn't be in such a hurry to race to the bottom and buy everything at the cheapest possible prices, for lower quality goods at the likes of Walmart, dollar stores etc who generally treat and (pertinent to this discussion), pay there staff like the disposable garbage they peddle.

Be a part of the solution and buy higher quality goods and services from local/domestic stores/manufacturers/farmers etc. And maybe think twice about using that automated checkout ;) 

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Ironically, 2 ways everyone can "address the affordability issue" is to 1) get a roommate, or 2) move somewhere else. Like any market, by taking steps to reduce demand, we all contribute in our own way to it.

Myself, I left Vancouver years ago because I thought it was too expensive. Very happy with my decision, and it also had a positive benefit (however minute) on all those who wanted to stay in Vancouver.

Fair. But even if you make $60k a year you're struggling in that city. Particularly if your place isn't paid off. Far worse if you are renting. I'll take Abby as my example as I've lived here for 25 years. Your dollar goes far, far less nowadays with housing. A new 1900sq ft. townhouse here in Abby now would have cost you $150k in 2000 as it did us. My muther on her measly 45k a year salary paid it off. Thank god she has her big fat pension at least. Now? It costs you 4x that new - and it won't be anywhere near 1900sq ft because the units are being are made smaller and cheaper (not reflected in the price). Not a chance in hell she could've paid for this. There are/were some new developments here and they're about 1100sq feet particle board huts with zero drive way and no backyard. 

My friend, a pipe fitter (get into a trade they said, you'll do well they said) makes 60k a year or something. Not bad. But he still lives at home because of the costs and the impracticality of housing prices. It's more than just affording something. Even if only barely. Your dollar gets you so much less than 10 years ago. This is by design of course. This is deliberate. And we're all paying for it even if "we can afford our home."

Our children (less and less 'young people' are having them because of the extreme general cost of living) are simply going to have to inherit their parents house. They will never be able to buy one at this rate. If they can't even do that... consider looking at some hot property under the freeway overpasses because that's where they're going to live. 

24 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

In some ways I agree with you in others I don't. Canadians should be able to live comfortably anywhere in the country however reality is you need to move around at times to make it work. So many BCers choose poverty for them and their families instead of moving somewhere colder and where they don't know people. 

Also this younger generation always wants government to fix things, governments never fix anything and they're the worst at running businesses. 

Not trying to be rude but every now and again you need to man up.

That being said I agree the situation is getting out of hand but to stop it people with mortgages like myself will get screwed. So how to fix it? I feel for people in these situations but I also know many who love the beaches and climate so much that they will choose poverty over money and colder weather and flatness instead of beaches. These people seem to want to blame then fix themselves. 

I'm not a cold hearted far right guy I just think this is concerning for single moms, seniors and less fortunate not a male in his 20s who could relocate and make far more money.

So are we simply admitting defeat and pulling the Bertuzzi "it is what it is." 

Because even the Valley here is being grossly unaffordable. My old place I lived as a kid is on the market at 650k. My dad making probably close to 6 figures at the time and two kids probably couldn't buy that nowadays where as about 25 years ago he could. It's a nice house but that house is nowhere near 650k lmao. 

If people think they're &^@#ed now. The concept of 'moving out' will be completely foreign to our children. 

==

On another note - if the government can't or is unwilling to fix these things then why are we even paying them LOL. Why are they taking 40% of our cheque. Time for revolt. 

Edited by Tortorella's Rant
  • Wat 1

4 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Fair. But even if you make $60k a year you're struggling in that city. Particularly if your place isn't paid off. Far worse if you are renting. I'll take Abby as my example as I've lived here for 25 years. Your dollar goes far, far less nowadays with housing. A new 1900sq ft. townhouse here in Abby now would have cost you $150k in 2000 as it did us. My muther on her measly 45k a year salary paid it off. Thank god she has her big fat pension at least. Now? It costs you 4x that new - and it won't be anywhere near 1900sq ft because the units are being are made smaller and cheaper (not reflected in the price). Not a chance in hell she could've paid for this. There are/were some new developments here and they're about 1100sq feet particle board huts with zero drive way and no backyard. 

My friend, a pipe fitter (get into a trade they said, you'll do well they said) makes 60k a year or something. Not bad. But he still lives at home because of the costs and the impracticality of housing prices. It's more than just affording something. Even if only barely. Your dollar gets you so much less than 10 years ago. This is by design of course. This is deliberate. And we're all paying for it even if "we can afford our home."

Our children (less and less 'young people' are having them because of the extreme general cost of living) are simply going to have to inherit their parents house. They will never be able to buy one at this rate. If they can't even do that... consider looking at some hot property under the freeway overpasses because that's where they're going to live. 

I left Vancouver in 2007. At the time, rented a 1-bedroom top floor apartment a block off of Kits beach (near corner of York and Yew) for $1,150/month. I shudder to think what it would cost today.

I grew up in the Fraser Valley, and even lived in Abbotsford for a while. If the housing is that ridiculous, I don't know why people bother. Especially in the Valley, it's really not that great of a place to live (ridiculous traffic, long stretches without sunshine, and air quality is very bad, especially from Chilliwack-East). If it's such a struggle, my advice is to just move - the sooner you do it, the sooner you get set up in your new city.

A couple of years ago my parents moved out here (near Calgary) to be closer to the grandkids. They had thought about doing it previously, but the way the prices were at the time they wouldn't have got enough for their home (near Harrison Hot Springs) to afford a good place here. But the prices kept going up, so they sold and got enough to have a fantastic home here (with a basement suite to provide steady income), plus extra money in the bank. I wondered how they would do though, because they had lived in the Fraser Valley so long - in fact, my mother had lived in the Valley her entire life! But right away, they loved it here. They love the constant sunshine, and with the affordability of living here they both remain retired, living off of pension/CPP/etc. and the basement rent. They have a comfortable life, and can travel regularly. In a short time they remarked how they had absolutely no desire to go back to BC. In fact, if we get a few cloudy days in a row here, my mother says she doesn't know how she endured living in the Valley beforehand.

• Upvote 2