The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

And People are wondering why this guy is upset

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

No kidding. It's racist. Except when it's not because it's my kind of humor or because of some other pre-held bias I possess. Similarly, with Saul Goodman and his mental gymnastics defending Prime Minister Two Face. 

Well, that's about the same complete lack of understanding of nuance that pretty much seems to be your default. You probably think White Chicks is the same as Birth of a Nation. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

Well, that's about the same complete lack of understanding of nuance that pretty much seems to be your default. You probably think White Chicks is the same as Birth of a Nation. 

See, there's always convenient excuses and double standards. You certainly can't be wrong when you're always morally infallible. Everyone bow down to HerrDr. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

See, there's always convenient excuses and double standards. You certainly can't be wrong when you're always morally infallible. Everyone bow down to HerrDr. 

Here's the thing, I don't even believe you think Tropic Thunder is racist. What I think is going on is that you looked like a complete knob earlier in the thread, and you know it, so now you're trying to save face with this little routine. 

Edited by HerrDrFunk

28 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Here's the thing, I don't even believe you think Tropic Thunder is racist. What I think is going on is that you looked like a complete knob earlier in the thread, and you know it, so now you're trying to save face with this little routine. 

That's right. It's not. But many do including some people in this thread (and Saul Goodman wherever he may be lurking) whether they admit to it or not because their logic suggests otherwise. Which also means Trudeau is racist. And George Carlin. And Louis CK. And Quentin Tarantino. And Sam Jackson. And Bill Maher. And just about every black rapper in the history of rap music. And the list goes on and on but there's probably a hidden character count coded into the forum. Because this kind of behavior and language is always unacceptable. But of course it's not always unacceptable. Context always matters. That's why there's nothing wrong with the movie because most people see that for what it is. But many of these 'woke' social liberals assert it's always unacceptable - unless of course when it isn't. You don't get to pick and choose when there are no clearly distinguishable differences in the situations and you certainly don't get to take things out of context to score some 'woke' points - unless of course as I said it's some pre-held bias one already possess in which case that would make them a intellectually dishonest hack. So why is this guy treated any different than Trudeau? The context is the same. They did the same thing. If this guy is thrown on his ass, so should be Trudeau. But since Trudeau wasn't, neither should this guy. Why is there a double standard. I know why - it's obviously rhetorical. Why is there different penalties for different people for the exact same crime. Why is Bill Maher racist and why does he have to apologize, or why does Bill Peters get fired, but Ice Cube gets a free pass for rapid fire spewing the N word. Because he's black. That's racist in and of itself for even asserting that. 

I defend what I said at the beginning in its entirety. It's bigoted to assume black people are completely incapable of defending and standing up for themselves so honky has to do it for them on an Internet forum. It's perfectly reasonable to assume he could've done so in the present or shortly after when he may have felt more comfortable. 8 years after the fact looks pathetic and makes one look desperate to make a name for himself because hockey never went according to plan

Edited by Tortorella's Rant
  • Upvote 1

I feel like some people don't understand the magnitude of feelings during that moment because they themselves have never had to experience it.  They can only assume how they would feel and react. 

My dad and uncles immigrated here when they were teenagers.  I've heard great stories of acceptance and horrible stories of racism.  Like having someone wait for you after class to beat you up just because you weren't white.  Small Asians were easy minority targets and I get why my dad and uncles didn't like going to school.  It's tough to stand up to guys twice your size, though they fought when they had to protect themselves and got labeled as trouble makers.  You're damned if you do and damned if you don't in regards to standing up for yourself. 

We now have zero tolerance for bullying so why don't we have zero tolerance for racism?

Edited by Petey Castiglione
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1