The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

And People are wondering why this guy is upset

Rate this topic

Okay lets look at this for all you dummies who think he was fine with it because he took a picture with the trainer.

1. Hes the only coloured guy in the group.

2. Played 10 games with the team, new to the organization

3. Goes to party where someone he hardly knows is coloured black, wearing his number with the name tag “Dreamer”

clearly he would feel very out of place and humiliated, peer pressured into taking a photo with zero confidence in himself after the complete mockery of himself in a room full or basically strangers that are your “teammmates”

4. HE IS NOT SMILING IN THE PHOTO, CLEARLY HE IS NOT COOL WITH IT. But was pushed into taking the photo for everyones satisfaction.

Sure he might be a plug of a player and bounced around all over the place for hockey, but arent you supposed to follow your dreams? Never give up? Hope that you can work your way to the NHL like you have always dreamed of?

Burrows did it, undrafted, 3rd liner in the ECHL.

At least he was doing what he loved, playing hockey, regardless of where and what level. Still paid to play

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

It was pretty funny when this guy did it

rs_606x606-140324130043-600-robert-downey-jr-tropic-thunder-nick-cannon.ls.32414.jpg

33 minutes ago, Rounoush said:

Bingo. People getting offended by black face is hilarious.

Just a heads up: when you say “what about Tropic Thunder!?” in regards to blackface, it makes you look pretty damn ignorant. The whole point of Kirk Lazarus the character is that he’s such a head-up-his-ass method actor that he doesn’t see any issue with playing a black man. Plus, he gets called out on what he’s doing throughout the movie. 

Edited by HerrDrFunk
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Just a heads up: when you say “what about Tropic Thunder!?” in regards to blackface, it makes you look pretty damn ignorant. The whole point of Kirk Lazarus the character is that he’s such a head-up-his-ass method actor that he doesn’t see any issue with playing a black man. Plus, he gets called out on what he’s doing throughout the movie. 

I didn't say "what about Tropic Thunder!?", I just said it was funny.

Just a heads up, when you assume people's intentions or put words in their mouth, it makes you look pretty damn ignorant.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

I didn't say "what about Tropic Thunder!?", I just said it was funny.

Just a heads up, when you assume people's intentions or put words in their mouth, it makes you look pretty damn ignorant.

Forgive me if I don’t give you the benefit of the doubt when your contributions to this thread seem to be to try to diminish what happened. 

1 minute ago, Rounoush said:

Careful, HerrDrFunk in the house with his moral high ground.

Says the guy who can’t tell the difference between a movie and a team orchestrating a racist prank on one of their own. 

Hit me back when you can write a passing grade 6 book report, much less discuss film theory and power dynamics when it comes to race. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, DADDYROCK said:

I hate racism.

Racism is taught,just look at little kids,they don't know anything about that stuff.

Reunion-e688.gif

Thats why I like kids over adults.  They are innocent and don't know better.  They just like each other for each other and have no bias until its been pushed on them from parents, family, society, etc.  They don't try and play victim or ruler of their race they just want to be kids and have fun with each other.  I could always watch this all day on loop thinking about my kid and hopefully he will have some fun moments like these one day where you can clearly see the joy these kids have seeing each other.

Quite the picture. 

If it was an Asian guy who dressed up like that, would racial connotations still be there? Then could I laugh? 

Once you take away the perceived racism-intent, what do you have?

Who wore it better?

Snoop or that guy? 

Who was trying to be racist or race bating...? 

30AAFAF0-86FB-458D-90A7-ECA39DE1CB21.jpeg.894ffbb02158825e6ac1e8ab8b452de4.jpeg

15 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

And yet he’s (character) not being racist and I don’t know if Dreamer guy was.

Do you? 

Why are some people pointing out that he was never a big time hockey player? Is racism only unacceptable if you are famous and/or successful? What kind of idiotic argument is that? If you never truly experienced racism I guess stuff like this doesn't really bother you. Good for you. Keep living your privileged life. But don't try and diminish what this guy is doing. It's actually disgusting that people here actually don't have any sympathy for a guy that dealt with racism from teammates, supposed fans and his coaches. He was a teenager. If he is a bad guy for wanting to expose the ignorance he experienced well consider me a bad guy for a standing by him. I experienced racism growing up, it made going to school suck and not enjoyable. I imagine racism didn't help his love of hockey much and likely did a number on his passion for the game.

And he posed for the picture cause he didn't want to cause a scene. And being the only black guy there I imagine he worried for his safety too. I am sure a party full of white folks allowing something so blatantly racist can feel quite scary when you are alone. But feel free to ignore it, overlook it, or be ignorant to the entire story. "He's just doing it cause he's a failed hockey player", right :rolleyes: 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Seriously? You're crapping on a 21 year old athlete, who happens to be the only black guy at a party, who's got a trainer dressed in blackface and people laughing at him for not somehow stirring $&!# up and taking a stand? When he's surrounded by teammates, staff and management? Are you serious? 

He likely had relationships with many of the people in that room, you expect him to flip the switch and somehow go after all of those people at once? 

That's not even remotely the same as you theoretically making fun of me in any of those scenarios. I'm not black and the only black guy present, I'm not going to be presented with racism presented as some sort of joke, and I wouldn't be surrounded by a bunch of fellow athletes or people who've got power over my career. My standing up for myself would be a helluva lot easier. 

I'm not making excuses. If you can't see how difficult a situation that would have been for a young, black professional player attempting to build a career in what is a predominantly white sport I don't know what to tell you. If your expectations are that he should have been able to somehow take on everyone else at that party over the disgusting bigotry and bullying that went on I don't know what to tell you. 

That scenario is very much the same. The difference is you aren't black.

All he needed to do was say that I don't agree with this. I find this hugely offensive. Or something along those lines. And that's it. Make a big stink about it publicly after if you will.

What's bigoted here is this assumption that black people can't defend themselves and need to be coddled. 

18 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Except it's a movie. Context doesn't matter. That's been made blatantly clear by the social liberal club. Thus, Robert Downey Jr. is racist piece of garbage who is basically the next Hitler.