The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

And People are wondering why this guy is upset

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I don't think it was fine when Trudeau did it either. So what now, smart guy? 

I like how you read the article but completely ignored this bit:

I likely would have acted the same as Aliu.

We all like to think we will say the right thing at the right time, but how many times have I left a situation and said to myself, "Dang, I shoulda said ..."

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

It's difficult for me to take him serious when he stands there and gets a photo taken with the guy. 

What the hell is he supposed to do? Cause a scene at a party surrounded by staff and teammates? 

In 2011, as one of the newer members of the ECHL's Colorado Eagles, the Nigerian-born Aliu was invited to the team's Halloween party, but he was told to "come a little bit later" - an instruction he didn't think too much about at the time, Aliu told The Wall Street Journal's Andrew Beaton.

Aliu said he arrived at the party to find Tony Deynzer, the team's head equipment manager, in blackface while wearing an Afro-style wig and an Eagles jersey with Aliu's No. 78 and nickname - "Dreamer" - stitched on the back.

Those attending the party - including Aliu's teammates, staff members, management, and some of their families - encouraged the two to take a picture together, which Aliu shared with Beaton:

cropped_AkimAliu.jpg?ts=1576086084The Wall Street Journal

"Guys just started laughing," Aliu said. "All I can do is tell my story."

Aliu, who said he didn't see anyone else at the party who was black, posed for the picture because he didn't want to cause a scene. He said he felt trapped and in shock, and then called his brother immediately afterward.

"I didn’t even grasp the idea of how vicious of a thing that is to do," Aliu said.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1903312/equipment-manager-went-to-2011-halloween-party-in-blackface-dressed-as-aliu

Edited by Coconuts

Just now, Coconuts said:

What the hell is he supposed to do? Cause a scene at a party surrounded by staff and teammates? 

In 2011, as one of the newer members of the ECHL's Colorado Eagles, the Nigerian-born Aliu was invited to the team's Halloween party, but he was told to "come a little bit later" - an instruction he didn't think too much about at the time, Aliu told The Wall Street Journal's Andrew Beaton.

Aliu said he arrived at the party to find Tony Deynzer, the team's head equipment manager, in blackface while wearing an Afro-style wig and an Eagles jersey with Aliu's No. 78 and nickname - "Dreamer" - stitched on the back.

Those attending the party - including Aliu's teammates, staff members, management, and some of their families - encouraged the two to take a picture together, which Aliu shared with Beaton:

cropped_AkimAliu.jpg?ts=1576086084The Wall Street Journal

"Guys just started laughing," Aliu said. "All I can do is tell my story."

Aliu, who said he didn't see anyone else at the party who was black, posed for the picture because he didn't want to cause a scene. He said he felt trapped and in shock, and then called his brother immediately afterward.

"I didn’t even grasp the idea of how vicious of a thing that is to do," Aliu said.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1903312/equipment-manager-went-to-2011-halloween-party-in-blackface-dressed-as-aliu

How about grow a spine and say that this is &^@#ed and you aren't partaking in it. Why do people sell themselves short whenever this sort of thing happens. Every time all the time. Instead of keeping their integrity or standing up for their beliefs they'd rather be awkward and extremely uncomfortable. If someone tried to do that to me, they'd hear about it. At the minimum you come out about it after instead of looking like an opportunist drama queen 8 years later.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, lmm said:

how is he another Kapernick?

Kapernick has the skill to play but is forced out by his beliefs.

If I were to compare Kapernick to a hockey player, I'd compare him to Robin Lehner

Lehner speaks his mind 

I dont think Kapernick does have the skill to play, he was on his way out of the league. His recent workout for NFL teams did not go great. Plus Kapernick when he was playing in the league was not a great person and was known for being self centered. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Baer. said:

I fail to see how his skill level as a hockey player has anything to do with the fact that he was blatantly being mocked for his skin colour.

Are you excusing racism? That's not a good look...

Right? According to some people it's as if being less skilled at hockey means you lose your human rights

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

@Tortorella's Rant Sure, laugh. Why don't you go ahead and tell me about all your experiences being the only black guy in an otherwise all white group?

Tell me more about how this doesn't make him look like an opportunist drama queen when he's whining about it 8 years after the fact. Maybe he got bored and wanted the attention. Seriously. Whatever happened to standing up for ones self. You can be black and do this too. Or gay. Or transgender. Or literally anybody. People are such passive cowards it's unbelievable. Instead of confrontation, they'll sit there like a potted plant and feel like complete garbage.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

How about grow a spine and say that this is &^@#ed and you aren't partaking in it. Why do people sell themselves short whenever this sort of thing happens. Every time all the time. Instead of keeping their integrity or standing up for their beliefs they'd rather be awkward and extremely uncomfortable. If someone tried to do that to me, they'd hear about it. At the minimum you come out about it after instead of looking like an opportunist drama queen 8 years later.

So what you'd have theoretically done somehow reflects what he should have done? 

It's easy to blow a bunch of smoke about integrity and standing up for beliefs when you're not a 21 year old, black athlete trying to build at a career who's being encouraged to take a picture with a trainer, who you probably trusted, who's put on blackface and is wearing your jersey with "dreamer" across the back? Don't you think the expectation that he should cause a scene and somehow "stand up" to the management, staff and teammates as the single black dude at the party is a bit unrealistic?

As a professional athlete it's a helluva lot safer to come out and say things when your career is done and you know people can't &^@# with your career. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

So what you'd have theoretically done somehow reflects what he should have done? 

It's easy to blow a bunch of smoke about integrity and standing up for beliefs when you're not a 21 year old, black athlete trying to build at a career who's being encouraged to take a picture with a trainer, who you probably trusted, who's put on blackface and is wearing your jersey with "dreamer" across the back? Don't you think the expectation that he should cause a scene and somehow "stand up" to the management, staff and teammates as the single black dude at the party is a bit unrealistic?

As a professional athlete it's a helluva lot safer to come out and say things when your career is done and you know people can't &^@# with your career. 

Absolutely. When does some of the responsibility fall on the individual? If nobody ever stands up for themselves then they're going to keep getting pushed around and this sort of thing keeps happening. If I come over to your place or business or your home with my friends and make you feel like garbage, are you going to sit there and take it? No, obviously not. At least I'd hope not. So what the hell is the difference here aside from the fact he's black. Quit making excuses. 

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I don't think it was fine when Trudeau did it either. So what now, smart guy? 

I like how you read the article but completely ignored this bit:

BS . if you think something is wrong you call out right away. thee fact he took a picture say he was enjoying the moment.

As a Minority,  I have faced racism at times.  You grin and bear it because you don't want to be the outcast (or not a team player).  And just cuz I laughed off a comment doesn't mean I liked it.  

You run all through the scenarios in you brain in a split second hoping you make the right choice when confronted with an uncomfortable situation. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

As a Minority,  I have faced racism at times.  You grin and bear it because you don't want to be the outcast (or not a team player).  And just cuz I laughed off a comment doesn't mean I liked it.  

You run all through the scenarios in you brain in a split second hoping you make the right choice when confronted with an uncomfortable situation. 

been there numerous times myself. Worst offenders are usually the people closest to you. Today I am not in contact with many of them for that reason.

1 hour ago, Squamfan said:

i believe the trainer apologized but was fired, Peter said sorry and he resigned because he knew he would get fired..

I meant the Trudeau pic's. You seem to forget the days of apologizing he did, and we all had a chance to judge him for it too. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Baer. said:

I fail to see how his skill level as a hockey player has anything to do with the fact that he was blatantly being mocked for his skin colour.

Are you excusing racism? That's not a good look...

Poor decisions do not necessarily mean the guy is a racist

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1