The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Updated-Report] Canucks place Sven Baertschi on Waivers

5 minutes ago, rekker said:

Lol. I hear you. I did however mention this before Alf. Its the only scenario I see that makes sense. There is just no reason to keep LE up with the club.

Maybe, but Alf says it more frequently ;)

Like I said, I hope you’re both right. I just don’t see LE walking away from money on the table. To me it’s more likely that FA told Benning that he’s not burying that kind of money in Utica. You made the mistake, you find a way out of it kinda thing. 

Edited by Roger Neilsons Towel
Autocorrect error
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, 189lb enforcers? said:

When The Canucks were busy stapling him to their merchandise and building banners, I thought that to be folly, but an leading indicator of their stance on the player. 

For context, I thought he was trade bait for a very long time, not just when he finally was so predictably one dimensional and a IR-magnet. 

So now he’s being traded. A worthless asset. 

Not here to bash Jim, but I wish SB had been packaged up years ago. 

Sutter and Tanev are other players we know are diminishing assets.

Loyalists and optimists will defend why these foundations need to be in place. I get it, but I disagree with the logistics. 

SB was a guy who once had 2nd round pick return value on a rebuilding team. 

JB continues to pick 5-7 OA regardless of how many competitive” non-moves he doesn’t make, so its worked out, despite a lack of picks built into the same fate. 

I am glad to see the back of SB, the player, as a Canuck. 

Sven the person, I have empathy and warm wishes for. 

I actually feel pretty much the same way, he seems like a very quality human. 

But I didn't want him on that 3 year deal, I was annoyed that it wasn't just a one, maybe 2 year deal. But they were clearly high on him, in part because he's so good at getting to high scoring areas, when you look at his shot maps he's way above leave average in getting to the net, and he "should" have had the tools to be a 25+ goal guy. But what worried me was he never actually got to 20 and had terrible injury luck. 

Well, we shall see whats what soon enough. Its silly for CBJ not to take him or Philly or DET but if they all pass then you know what the reputation is. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, billabong said:

Best case scenario they mutually agree to terminate his contract 

If he wants to play in the show that’s his best bet 

or

get paid the big bucks and ride the bus 

the choice is yours Baer :frantic:

According to several posters discussing the Eriksson situation this doesn't work.  He would have to wait another year before again being able to sign a new NHL deal.

Just now, billabong said:

or

Sven should retire.

Retire happy, healthy with a comfortable bank. 

We can only dream of such a dilemma. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, billabong said:

or

I don't see Baer walking away from that money. May likely be the last big payday for him.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah the difference in the mistakes on the pro scouting vs drafting side of Jim's tenure is pretty stark. 

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

Yip. Add Sam Gags and Guds to that scouting list. Maybe goes as far back as Clendenning.

All GM’s have hits and misses. Even some of the best. Jim is still on the right side of .500 in my opinion, however another bad trade or two and that may change. As of now, he still has my support. 

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Flyers only have some 320K in cap space.  Players on IR still count against the cap.  They have no cap space to add Baertschi.  

they do have over 2.5 mil of guys on LTIR so they might be able to do this if they also waive someone like Stewart?? not confident on this tho. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

But I didn't want him on that 3 year deal, I was annoyed that it wasn't just a one, maybe 2 year deal. But they were clearly high on him, in part because he's so good at getting to high scoring areas, when you look at his shot maps he's way above leave average in getting to the net, and he "should" have had the tools to be a 25+ goal guy. But what worried me was he never actually got to 20 and had terrible injury luck. 

Well, we shall see whats what soon enough. Its silly for CBJ not to take him or Philly or DET but if they all pass then you know what the reputation is. 

Philadelphia doesn't have the cap space - only 325K per CapFriendly.  Players on IR count against the cap and they have several guys out short term.  They will even have trouble recalling the necessary league minimum players to have a playing roster.  

CBJ and Detroit are both at 47 contracts.  Detroit wanted to send someone back before getting Biega.  It's not just about cap space but also having the flexibility to sign free agents towards the end of the season.  He also has that extra year.  Teams know that it's heading to a buyout and will cost the Canucks cap space too. 

1 minute ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

All GM’s have hits and misses. Even some of the best. Jim is still on the right side of .500 in my opinion, however another bad trade or two and that may change. As of now, he still has my support. 

I still like Jim, just its hard not to see the differences in where he's had the most success. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

they do have over 2.5 mil of guys on LTIR so they might be able to do this if they also waive someone like Stewart?? not confident on this tho. 

That's with them on LTIR - they are already using that cap space for recalls.  

1 minute ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I as well. I defend JB a lot. He has done a great job turning the team around considering some of the obstacles and possible ownerships directions at times. The pro scouting side has however been where the most mistakes have been made during his tenure IMHO.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I gotta agree here. A 2 year contract and we wouldn’t be having this problem finding a suitor for SB. It’s that extra year that makes it so tough for teams to swallow. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, rekker said:

I don't see Baer walking away from that money. May likely be the last big payday for him.

Not about the money but the option to play in the NHL.  Several posters when discussing Eriksson were saying you can't have a contract mutually terminated and re-sign in the NHL - have to wait until that contract would have been over.  It keeps him out another season.  He is better off waiting for a buyout this summer  (the window opens only in June) - he can then sign a PTO or league minimum contract.  

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, mll said:

That's with them on LTIR - they are already using that cap space for recalls.  

ah OK I wasn't sure if that was still available or not. I guess scratch Philly off the list. 

I still think CBJ or DET could do it, but as you say they may value the roster limit flexibility more at this point. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

man I feel for Baer, I hope someone grabs him up. For a free player he's got to be the most quality player available this year on waivers. 

Seems like the Agent forced the hand of Benning here..

I do beleive Benning when he is quoted as “surprised that the agent went public with something he (JB) has been working on for weeks”. 
JB waiving SB is the extreme move to the situation, a hand forced by the agents impatience, and lack of professionalism.

Sven will clear,  won’t be surprised to see play well , and traded before March for a 4th or later round pick.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Easy for us to say from the outside looking in though. He has to be ready. If he can’t accept the end mentally yet then he has to do what’s right for him. I’m sure it would be a hard thing to accept. Who wants to live with regrets. 

I had a career ending injury in Junior B and that lead me to a dark place mentally for a long time. Drugs. Alcohol. 

It took a lot of years to accept. But time has a way of providing clarity. In reality I wasn’t talented enough to go further in my career anyway. I was just a guy that would trade punches for a couple minutes and sit on the bench the rest of the game. If that’s all you can do in Junior B you aren’t going anywhere.

Sorry for the derail. Touched a nerve. 

Time to Irish up this coffee....

This, ... is hockey, the kind I understand. 

On a “fan forum”, I get why people say silly, clappy fan-things, but I come from a different place and understanding of the game and the life of hockey. 

I can recognize the others on here too. 

Even Guardian was one of a very few on here who knew the game beyond the cheering and google parts, not to sound like a jerk to those who are merely “fans” of the game, lacking the actual blood ties to it. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Like 1