The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Updated-Report] Canucks place Sven Baertschi on Waivers

I'm just thinking... Sven is an NHLer.  He can produce alongside Horvat.  His AHL numbers are proving that he should be playing with the Canucks.

His health is a potential concern... but he can easily be taken out while playing for Utica anyways.  If anything, playing in the American League may actually be more physical as players are doing whatever it takes to get notice.  

Considering the Canucks offensive woes, GMJB should be exploring all options, including bringing back #47.  It can't get any worse than where the Canucks are now.  

5 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Not sure he wants to be another Boucher, He demanded a trade already believing he would be playing in the NHLinstead

Doubtful he is interested in padding others stats than his own?

We will soon see if he shows everyone they made a mistake, or just mails it in

Everyone covering Utica including players say that he has been absolutely professional and very engaged in helping the prospects in Utica and his great attitude.  No reason for it to change.  If he mails it in his NHL dream will completely disappear.  Listen also to his interviews too where he talks of wanting to help their prospects in their development. 

Edited by mll

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

No thanks. 

I would actually do that trade in a minute.

The reason is simple. One guy is on a contract worth about 3.3 million and change, taking up space that we could really use.

The other is on an ELC worth a little under 900k and takes up zero cap on an NHL team.

I would happily include a 4th rounder to make that exchange happen.

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

The reason is simple. One guy is on a contract worth about 3.3 million and change, taking up space that we could really use.

The other is on an ELC worth a little under 900k and takes up zero cap on an NHL team.

I would imagine the Canucks would have to retain salary on Baertschi for it to work, but still.

This deal would actually make sense.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

I would imagine the Canucks would have to retain salary on Baertschi for it to work, but still.

This deal would actually make sense.

As per Ben Kuzma:

”The Philadelphia Flyers have lost four wingers in the past 10 days but don’t have the salary cap space to claim him.”

So... we retain, we get picks?

PHI

Sutter @ 50% 

Bärtschi @ 50%

VAN

1st

EDIT: check that, the Flyers have 57 thousand dollars available under the cap. :blink:

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Me_ said:

As per Ben Kuzma:

”The Philadelphia Flyers have lost four wingers in the past 10 days but don’t have the salary cap space to claim him.”

PHI

Sutter @ 50% 

Bärtschi @ 50%

VAN

1st ‘20

I doubt both would work going to Philadelphia as they're at 48/50 contracts now. They're also in just as tight as the Canucks with regards to the cap.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

I doubt both would work going to Philadelphia as they're at 48/50 contracts now. They're also in just as tight as the Canucks with regards to the cap.

Yeah just saw.

Philly is 57K under the cap.

Canucks, 30K.

With LITR relief:

Philly: 499K

Canucks: $1.246M

8 minutes ago, Me_ said:

As per Ben Kuzma:

PHI

Sutter @ 50% 

Bärtschi @ 50%

VAN

1st

EDIT: check that, the Flyers have 57 thousand dollars available under the cap:blink:

With LTIR etc, they actually have a little over 2.8 remaining. So,

To Phili

Baerstchi, 750k retained

To Vancouver

5th round pick

TJ Brennan - balances out contracts

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

With LTIR etc, they actually have a little over 2.8 remaining. So,

To Phili

Baerstchi, 750k retained

To Vancouver

5th round pick

TJ Brennan - balances out contracts

No they don't.  They have just under 500K with LTIR relief.  

40 minutes ago, mll said:

No they don't.  They have just under 500K with LTIR relief.  

I'm not a capologist, but I'm reading it as over 2 million on CapFriendly. Admittedly though, I may very well be reading it wrong :)

I think what I'm seeing is, if they move Laughton from IR to LTIR, they can pickup an additional 2.3 million over the 500k

Edited by VegasCanuck
Additional

21 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I'm not a capologist, but I'm reading it as over 2 million on CapFriendly. Admittedly though, I may very well be reading it wrong :)

I think what I'm seeing is, if they move Laughton from IR to LTIR, they can pickup an additional 2.3 million over the 500k

At some point they will also want to activate Raffl and Patrick off LTIR and will need the cap space.  Raffl was projected out 4 to 6 weeks.  Patrick hopes to play this season still.  They have Laughton on IR for a groin injury and can't use that cap space as he will come back.  They really have no cap space to add.

Edited by mll

36 minutes ago, mll said:

At some point they will also want to activate Raffl and Patrick off LTIR and will need the cap space.  Raffl was projected out 4 to 6 weeks.  Patrick hopes to play this season still.  They have Laughton on IR for a groin injury and can't use that cap space as he will come back.  They really have no cap space to add.

We kind of dodged a bullet with not drafting Patrick. He had concussion issues before he was drafted as well, wouldn't be surprised if he has a short career.

Talented kid, but he's had too many, too fast.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

We kind of dodged a bullet with not drafting Patrick. He had concussion issues before he was drafted as well, wouldn't be surprised if he has a short career.

Talented kid, but he's had too many, too fast.

Weird how that works. Everyone's eyebrows rose up when they rose up so many spots than they did. And they picked what seems to be a poor choice in hindsight. Meanwhile, we walk away with a home run.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Not a fan of Ho Sang... at all. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Not a fan of Ho Sang... at all. 

Doesn't matter if you are or not. The fact is, we'd be in a better spot right now, and heading into next summer if we could do this swap, even if it meant not qualifying Ho Sang at the end of June.

Doing the proposed trade (which, granted, won't happen), would immediately gain us 2.3 million in additional cap space that we can work with.

I have no real desire to see Ho Sang join us, either.