The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is math racist?

RowdyCanuck

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

We'll have to agree to disagree there. 

Did I say there aren't poor white people?

okay cheers. I do agree there is privilege it's just not as huge as people think....

no I read into your comments I apologize for that but I thought you were talking about white privilege.....

1 minute ago, RowdyCanuck said:

okay cheers. I do agree there is privilege it's just not as huge as people think....

no I read into your comments I apologize for that but I thought you were talking about white privilege.....

That's fair.

Ah, you mentioned that privilege usually involves factors beyond people's control; which I agree with, so I was mentioning other factors besides race which can give someone privilege as well. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

That's fair.

Ah, you mentioned that privilege usually involves factors beyond people's control; which I agree with, so I was mentioning other factors besides race which can give someone privilege as well. 

Yes.....so now it's not just white privilege..... 

Might the privilege of being born with a silver spoon be more closer to the truth in today's world?.... Cause everyone dislikes them....lol it's also not tied to one race or another.....

14 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Math has been racist towards me... sad face.

I was too white and too man for the RCMP because of statistical quotas in 1992. 

Didn't think to show my privilege card back then. 

dont mean to pick a fight, but how do you know that was the reason? 

22 hours ago, Tystick said:

Like you said, the extremes are taking over both camps.

I would say the reasonable majority agrees on most issues, with just a slight difference in how we approach them.

I would say it's true though, that the left has been taken over by these lunatics. 

For the record, I once identified as liberal or left, but the PC crap is just too much for me.

Just that you once identified as a liberal/left person does not mean you ever were one. I think a prerequisite to calling oneself a liberal should be an understanding of set theory such that you don't conflate 'PC crap' and its proponents with the set of all liberals/liberalism itself.

What do you mean 'taken over'? You're confusing the pop news and the world's social media 'highlights' with sociopolitical reality. There's nothing valuable in that. The reality is that, likewise conservatives, liberals hold,--as a group,--diverse and many opinions. I think you're making a mistake when you abandon describing yourself like that simply because some people you disagree with have taken to the same /general/ ideology and began describing themselves similarly. You approach understanding of this when you remark that the reasonable majority agrees on most issues; but then you fail when you go down to drawing such a direct line between the views/actions/'PC'ness of a small subset of people who call themselves liberals and the banner of liberalism itself.

No definition I know of liberalism equates so much to 'political correctness' as it does 'freedom and tolerance.'

Do you rather identify with the racists within our conservatives? Or do you just go around telling people you're politically agnostic now?

Edited by 112

51 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

dont mean to pick a fight, but how do you know that was the reason? 

Np.

I was told this by the head guy here in Kamloops at the time. It was common knowledge at the time too. No need to debate the merit of it.

Diversity.

Speaking of which, if you apply for any government job or with a major corporation like CN Rail, they outright ask if you are “a visible minority”. 

I tried to use my white privileged card to get on as an engineer, but it wasn’t valid. Should have borrowed a visible minority’s I guess, because apparently it must mean something to HR.

4 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Np.

I was told this by the head guy here in Kamloops at the time. It was common knowledge at the time too. No need to debate the merit of it.

Diversity.

Speaking of which, if you apply for any government job or with a major corporation like CN Rail, they outright ask if you are “a visible minority”. 

I tried to use my white privileged card to get on as an engineer, but it wasn’t valid. Should have borrowed a visible minority’s I guess, because apparently it must mean something to HR.

well, I think you can make a pretty good argument that a lot of people have had bigger barriers to others getting into a number of job areas. Doesn't feel great when it happens to shut a door for you, tho. Which is something I do have experience with as well, when I was at uni I was seriously considering a career in a particular academic area but it had new hiring quotas on it at the time as well. I could have moved to the US but that didn't seem like a great option so I moved on to other things.

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Math has been racist towards me... sad face.

I was too white and too man for the RCMP because of statistical quotas in 1992. 

Didn't think to show my privilege card back then. 

My ex's dad alway told me to never apply to RCMP... he was a staff sarg.......  never really liked working for them....

Edited by kingofsurrey

33 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well, I think you can make a pretty good argument that a lot of people have had bigger barriers to others getting into a number of job areas. Doesn't feel great when it happens to shut a door for you, tho. Which is something I do have experience with as well, when I was at uni I was seriously considering a career in a particular academic area but it had new hiring quotas on it at the time as well. I could have moved to the US but that didn't seem like a great option so I moved on to other things.

Us Victims of statistics and, math. 

Where do we go for social justice?

Is there a sidewalk we can paint or something to signal the virtue of our plight?

:P

- nothing for guys like us, (white, straight men) but only to foot the bill and showcase a tolerance of “diversity”, which isn’t necessarily in our best interests. 

I just thought it’d be fun to take a stab at racist math too. 

Seems like any narrative will do. I chose one to play along as a rival victim of racist math. 

I want to compete in the oppression Olympics with everyone else. 

Somehow, our stories, though actual/real, get an eye roll or worse from society, not because of anything more than our skin, which is defined as racism. So, I want my medal and my time at the podium. 

Gold Medal Victim of the thread, 189lb Enforcers? :gocan:

I want to thank all the little people who made this all possible.

Thanks to the tax payers for funding affirmative action policies. Without you, I’d not have been disqualified into victimhood status when my visible majority skin club-thing didn’t fit the hiring practices seeking to exclude me in favour of a less visible person... 

:wub: I mean, the whole thing is kind of silly, but it’s real. It’s racism, absolutely it is. 

On a a serious note, can you go to a country where the majority isn’t white... and receive the reciprocal of this visible minority hiring practice? Is that a thing elsewhere? I wouldn’t know. 

Where can I go that isn’t “white” and be paid to learn, or subsidized some how, the host culture/people’s language? 

Is our hosting Western civilization unique in it’s determination to diversify itself by forcing the existing host culture’s people to fund these practices of diversification? Where else are counties and governments importing culture and peoples like we are? 

What about laws which prevent any criticism of immigration? 

Is this uniquely “western culture”? 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

My ex's dad alway told me to never apply to RCMP... he was a staff sarg.......  never really liked working for them....

When I was in high school, I had no brain and no plan. 

I just thought I could one day be a K9 guy or a guy paid to hurt child molesters and rapists. 

So, I took French right through. 

Graduated with 49.7%

A pass! 

Miserable experience. 

Imagine my dismay when I was “racist math”-ed against, and told I was not what they wanted, being a white male and all. 

Nobody reading will I’ll be told, “ you’re too brown, yellow, blue or whatever” only white guys. We have laws on the books for this for diversity quotas = racist math. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Us Victims of statistics and, math. 

Where do we go for social justice?

Is there a sidewalk we can paint or something to signal the virtue of our plight?

:P

- nothing for guys like us, (white, straight men) but only to foot the bill and showcase a tolerance of “diversity”, which isn’t necessarily in our best interests. 

I just thought it’d be fun to take a stab at racist math too. 

Seems like any narrative will do. I chose one to play along as a rival victim of racist math. 

I want to compete in the oppression Olympics with everyone else. 

Somehow, our stories, though actual/real, get an eye roll or worse from society, not because of anything more than our skin, which is defined as racism. So, I want my medal and my time at the podium. 

Gold Medal Victim of the thread, 189lb Enforcers? :gocan:

I want to thank all the little people who made this all possible.

Thanks to the tax payers for funding affirmative action policies. Without you, I’d not have been disqualified into victimhood status when my visible majority skin club-thing didn’t fit the hiring practices seeking to exclude me in favour of a less visible person... 

:wub: I mean, the whole thing is kind of silly, but it’s real. It’s racism, absolutely it is. 

On a a serious note, can you go to a country where the majority isn’t white... and receive the reciprocal of this visible minority hiring practice? Is that a thing elsewhere? I wouldn’t know. 

Where can I go that isn’t “white” and be paid to learn, or subsidized some how, the host culture/people’s language? 

Is our hosting Western civilization unique in it’s determination to diversify itself by forcing the existing host culture’s people to fund these practices of diversification? Where else is importing culture and peoples like we are? 

What about laws which prevent any criticism of immigration? 

Is this uniquely “western culture”? 

thats a lot to take on :lol: I dunno, the way i looked at it and still do is that, on the whole, being a white dude did come with privilege vs other groups for a very long time, i think thats pretty undeniable. The scales needed balancing in some way, maybe it was heavy handed for us guys back in the 1990s but no one had really tried doing anything about it before. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats a lot to take on :lol: I dunno, the way i looked at it and still do is that, on the whole, being a white dude did come with privilege vs other groups for a very long time, i think thats pretty undeniable. The scales needed balancing in some way, maybe it was heavy handed for us guys back in the 1990s but no one had really tried doing anything about it before. 

Well put, Jimmy. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

When I was in high school, I had no brain and no plan. 

I just thought I could one day be a K9 guy or a guy paid to hurt child molesters and rapists. 

So, I took French right through. 

Graduated with 49.7%

A pass! 

Miserable experience. 

Imagine my dismay when I was “racist math”-ed against, and told I was not what they wanted, being a white male and all. 

Nobody reading will I’ll be told, “ you’re too brown, yellow, blue or whatever” only white guys. We have laws on the books for this for diversity quotas = racist math. 

If you don't understand why it's important for a federal police force to represent the demographics it enforces laws upon, it's probably a good thing they didn't hire you.

Topically: my understanding of 'privilege,' which is a definition a lot of people on here don't seem aware of or share, is that it is not exclusive to race but rather can be used to describe sexed/gendered advantages in one's culture/society, wealth growing up or status-by-birth in one's culture/society, things like height or attractiveness, physical ability versus disability, etc..

I do not do much reading on these topics and think most people who do tend to live within too narrow scopes to have good things to say on it either way... but as far as I know, the general belief among what has come to mean 'SJW' on this site is that /everyone/ has privileges and disprivileges, just in different ways and to disproportionate or incongruent and wrong effects for some people within all societies. I don't think this is ridiculous, honestly?

People like enforcer are completely out of touch with what it is like to be a coloured and poor immigrant in the country, which is the only reason he could come to interpret polices meant to give these historically-marginalized groups fair representation within the forces that impose laws on them as somehow indicative that he must have, in reference to other ethnicities, a racial disprivilege--having lived in Canada as a white person since at least as long to have been able to apply to the RCMP in 1992.

I have been well below the poverty line for most of my life at 23; I was on-and-off homeless for 4 years at one point. I looked awful and did sketchy things. I am not a privileged person. But I am not going to go around and claim I don't have a racial privilege for being white when throughout all that I was never rolled up to or stopped by a cop for drinking a monster energy drink, but that it was just a w/e common thing if one of my native friends were walking down the street and drinking one. I saw it happen to them and they just shrugged it off; but it seemed like very stupid profiling to me and made me realize where I lucked out in my non-character-indicative traits.

Some people have /racial/ disprivileges, and it hurts the effort to rid our country and the globe of them when the attitude toward affirmative action within the scope of something so sacred as the application of law is to go into a CDC thread and make silly simplified jokes about it.

Edited by 112
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Np.

Diversity.

Affirmative action is specifically designed to help combat WP because data and research shows that white people are more likely to get the job over an equally qualified candidate of colour. The argument against AA is that it negates Merritt, but that is not the case, as it is 100% used when candidates are equally qualified.

3 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Affirmative action is specifically designed to help combat WP because data and research shows that white people are more likely to get the job over an equally qualified candidate of colour. The argument against AA is that it negates Merritt, but that is not the case, as it is 100% used when candidates are equally qualified.

uhh... maybe we should negate Merritt...