The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Buffalo Sabres | Jan. 11, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Sabre was around for longer then many of the active posters on this board, you included. He wasn't coming here to stir the pot, he is a fan of this team, and this board. A couple posters like Donald Brashear said some stupid things today, and others just confused a bunch of his posts *cough*

The bottom line was, he was right and a couple members of this board didn't take it well. Loosing him is a blow to the meaningful conversations had on the board, again, something that couldn't be said about many posters. 

Well said

• Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Sabre was around for longer then many of the active posters on this board, you included. He wasn't coming here to stir the pot, he is a fan of this team, and this board. A couple posters like Donald Brashear said some stupid things today, and others just confused a bunch of his posts for no reason.

The bottom line was, he was right and a couple members of this board didn't take it well. Loosing him is a blow to the meaningful conversations had on the board, again, something that couldn't be said about many posters. 

Wait sabresfan said he's not coming back to this forum? It got that bad?

5 minutes ago, Kushman said:

Wait sabresfan said he's not coming back to this forum? It got that bad?

That's how I understood what he was saying. He didn't take kindly to being called a guest on these board. Which is fair. As a proud longtime member of these boards (14 years strong) I get having an attachment to a place like this and could see having my cheeks chapped about being called a visitor.

• Upvote 4

47 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

That's how I understood what he was saying. He didn't take kindly to being called a guest on these board. Which is fair. As a proud longtime member of these boards (14 years strong) I get having an attachment to a place like this and could see having my cheeks chapped about being called a visitor.

Saberfan claims he’s a Canucks fan as well, He’s on a Canucks forum so why isn’t his profile name Saberfan&Canucksfan instead? 

6 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Saberfan claims he’s a Canucks fan as well, He’s on a Canucks forum so why isn’t his profile name Saberfan&Canucksfan instead? 

Funny post, given your poster name.

Edited by gurn
edit for clarity

2 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

It means exactly what it says, win the Stanley cup..

So you post on a Canucks board, with a name that has nothing to do with the Canucks, but wonder why another poster has a name that has nothing to do with the Canucks?

Seems strange to me

1 hour ago, shayster007 said:

Sabre was around for longer then many of the active posters on this board, you included. He wasn't coming here to stir the pot, he is a fan of this team, and this board. A couple posters like Donald Brashear said some stupid things today, and others just confused a bunch of his posts for no reason.

It was also the weak sauce Mods threatening him and calling his 16k posts a guest. 

Utter emotional waaavil from them

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, Knucklehd said:

Thanks @JamesB always enjoy reading your posts, couldn't agree more on all points, I think it's time to bury the hate for poor old LE, he has done well recently and has finally brought some completion to the Horvat line.  He is a contributing member of our team now.

I'll second that... Good job @JamesB as always.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

Yeah this board definitely  does not want any criticism of the canucks. Homer ism is also very rampant here along with biased opinions. 

True, and yet .... It is also to be expected.

After all, otherwise we'd be the only fan base in world in any sport, that wouldn't favour our own team in our opinions.

There are a big percentage of homers ( myself included ).

Then there are a big percentage, who are a fairly even open minded ( possibly slightly biased opinion), who may not always agree on the direction and actions taken, and then there are the constant unhappy part, who moans about everything... (after a cup victory they'd probably still be unhappy), but those are few only. 

Think we need both sides in order to have decent debates, as alternative views does help to evaluate thing in different perspectives... (Guess without it, it would be boring too....).

26 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Sabres fan is a great part of this board and deserves respect.  He also has the integrity to post his pro Sabres POV.  He was always respectful and we benefited from his perspective.  

Hope that he comes back.  

Totally agree with you. As @SabreFan1 mentioned his feeling about this has been perking for awhile now. Unfortunately to many posters want to get their shots in as quickly as possible without a lot of thought or with the keyboard aggressiveness that seems to pass as conversation these days. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Power Play:  Do you understand the difference between the words static and dynamic? Static means something stays the same, dynamic means it is constantly changing.  What we employ right now is a static powerplay. The players stand in the same spot and try to set up the same shots over and over. Its great that we've had so much success with the static system and it is a testament to just how skilled our PP1 line actually is. For an example of a dynamic PP check out an STL game some time. The players without the puck are constantly moving around and switching sides trying to create open ice and keep the D guessing. 

Defense: Be more aggressive on the puck/puck carrier. Dont just back up and allow the forwards to walk into our zone every time. Stop collapsing down into a 5 man box and merely trying to block shots giving the opposition all the time and space in the world to set up the perfect play. When Marky gives up a rebound actually go after the rebound instead of maintaining your 5 man box while the opposition goes to fetch the puck and try again.

Breakout:  This is my biggest pet peave and what caused me to get on Greens case in the first place when they were struggling mid way through last season. STOP PLAYING THE FORWARDS HIGH. Breakout of the zone as a 3 man unit providing puck support and passing options as you move up ice. Currently what we do is,  as soon as the  D gains possession of the puck the forwards race up the ice to go stand at the blue line. This gives the D only one passing option. To make a stretch pass through the neutral zone. You ever wonder why our D circle back in our zone so often? Because the forwards are covered and they don't have any other play besides to circle back or go D to D. When they are able to make the stretch pass the typical results are; it's too hot to handle and gets tipped in to the zone,  the pass gets picked off and the play comes the other way,  or the pass is successful but since the forward is standing still on the blue line when he accepts it he's quickly pressured off the puck or forced to dump it in.  We do this over and over all game long and it rarely ever succeeds.  

With a leauge leading  power play,  3 current All Stars and 2 former ones, 5 players all over 30 points mid way through the season, and an elite  goaltender you bet your a** we could be 10 games above .500 right now and running away with the division if we took a different approach to the game by employing better systems.  I've been following the Canucks for almost 30 years now and this just might be the most talented group of guys we've ever had. That's why it pains me so much to see it being squandered. As far as who should replace Green, well that's not my problem.  Whomever interviews well and has the right attitude.  Greens 'good enough is good enough' attitude isn't the attitude that wins championships.

I agree on a few things here and disagree on a few

Power Play: I don't think they are static at all. They move Boeser around and Petey because the other tams were focused on Petterson with the one timer. Hughes from the point has given a new dimension as he seems to be able to get the shot through. That's a good thing.Having Bo in front of the net is static but I would say they have tinkered with the power play and at times gone away from what is successful.

Defense: This i agree with you on. One of the most frustrating things i continue to see from our D is the rebound comes out towards the boards as good goaltenders are taught to do and the D man does not pursue the puck even though he is the closest player to it. This has resulted in our team being pinned in our zone more than needed.  I get that a lot of the shots then come from the outside but at some point puck retrieval in your zone becomes more important.

Breakout: With the style and system Green has the team playing the forwards are up the ice as soon as possible. The stretch pass is often a dump in more than  a pass. They try to get the puck behind the other teams D and the fore check to get turnovers. This is a safer system  than carrying the puck up ice and as long as you don't turn the puck over at either blue line you are in good shape. The problem we are having is that we turn the puck over a lot at both blue lines. Myers and Edler are not exactly safe at the other teams blue line handling the puck. They both fumble it around especially if its in their skates.Stecher has been turning the puck over a lot lately as well.Tanev also.

As for following the Canucks, I have been here for every season. Started watching when they came in the league and you can be damn sure this is one of the most talented cores  they have ever iced. As a team 94 and 11 were better. Hughes has top end talent. Miller, Petterson, Boeser, Horvat 5 of a terrific 6. They still need one more to join them. Pearson is playing well, Virtanen is coming along but they need one more true star player to join that group and then they will be off to the races. Giving up the first round pick for Miller wasn't popular with some here and in the media but it sure looks good now.

As for firing Green, I am not on board with you. He has brought a lot of young players along nicely, was one Vegas point lost away from being the all star game coach, has the team in the playoff race as much as Calgary Edmonton, Vegas, or Arizona, has given the team some consistency as to systems, and he doesnt play Megna, Baertschi, Goldobin or Chaput over Petterson, Horvat, Miller, Boeser, Virtanen, Pearson,etc. like Willy did. Coaches all have different approaches and right now the team is 8-2 in their last 10 games. If we miss the playoffs at the end of the season then we can critique the hell out of Green and every other aspect of this team. If they make the playoffs I ask "when does this stop?" When can we finally admit the team is better than it was four years ago? When can we finally admit they are more fun to watch? When can we finally admit they have some decent players? Three rookie of the year candidates in a row? Three All stars on the Pacific team? In the playoff race with a realistic chance of getting in. Its time to stop being so overly critical and enjoy what is fast becoming a team to be reckoned with. We have some real good players coming as well.The competition for jobs in the fall will be fun to watch and as the contracts expire for Loui and Beagle and Schaller the money will be there to keep these guys around for a long while. Enjoy it, I watched during the Milford era when we traded Neely and a draft pick that became Wesley for Pederson. When we made our first trip to the playoffs in 1975 and beat Montreal in the second game only to lose the series 4-1. Fans the last 20 years have been spoiled. The Naslund Era, The Sedin era have been great to watch and the expectations were realistic that they should have won a championship. They didnt but we never drafted and built a team. Most of our  teams were trade wins. Maybe this is why they failed. We have a team growing together. I say enjoy watching them because now we get to watch them for a long time.Cheers.

Edited by mikeyman109
  • Upvote 2