The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Sits When Ferland and Leivo Return?

Rate this topic

Schmautzie

Good idea for a thread. I don't think we've seen this team entirely healthy all season. I'll take a stab:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Leivo

Rousell - Gaudette - Virtanen

Ferland - Beagle - Motte

Sutter, Schaller

I'm honestly not sure where Sutter fits. He tried to be a sort of agitator last game, and I guess it worked, but we have to much depth to play him above the 4th. You don't sit Motte's effort. 

30 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

Ferland sits or be traded. It’s a lot of bad luck involved in this one but sadly, he has been outperformed by everyone else on the team so Ferland will sit or be dealt. Concussion or not he has been a disappointment 

Perhaps, JB was looking to buy low but at this point, I agree.  Still worth a gamble and thanks to the LTIR he wont affect the cap or perhaps a cap strap team might trade for his LTIR.  Looking like, just the cost of doing business ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski

I would consider giving Beagle a break.

It seems that hip injury may not be 100% and he is having trouble getting around the ice as effectively as he usually does.

Maybe Sutter slides to the middle and Beagle can rest up a bit for the playoffs. 

...No way Motte comes out.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Good idea for a thread. I don't think we've seen this team entirely healthy all season. I'll take a stab:

Pearson - Horvat - Leivo

Ferland - Beagle - Motte

Sutter, Schaller

I'm honestly not sure where Sutter fits. He tried to be a sort of agitator last game, and I guess it worked, but we have to much depth to play him above the 4th. You don't sit Motte's effort. 

What a lot of you are missing (not you Ossi) is that Sutter just came back and Schaller is sitting.  Sutts has given the 4th line a shot in the arm.  

I think the real question here is what the depth chart actually looks like.  

Clearly they're liking Gaudette and want to keep him in so, Gaudette > Schaller and Sutter > Schaller

Who's better Beagle or Sutter?  I think that Beagle is a better 4C but Sutter is more versatile and can play up the line up.  I don't see Beagle playing up the line up.

Where does Eriksson sit?  I think his contribution is hard to put your finger on but somehow Pearson, Horvat, Eriksson together are producing better than any other combination for the Horvat line that we have seen this season.  Is this permanent?  Who knows?  In the mean time I think it's a mistake to break up a winning combination.

Would anybody be surprised if Ferland has played his last game?  I don't know where he slides in, if he slides in when healthy.

The way Virtanen is playing, I think he has definitely reached a top 6 level.  I would place him ahead of Leivo now.  Boeser?  He's top 6 too and I think that the only reason why he is on the 3rd line now is because of the new chemistry on the Horvat line.

This is getting complicated and decisions will be made when Ferland and Leivo are healthy.  There is a question whether Eriksson will remain as effective when that time comes.  For that matter, will Virtanen?

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Virtanen

Roussel Gaudette Leivo

Sutter Beagle Motte

Ferland

Eriksson

Schaller

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Schmautzie said:

It’s great to see the team playing great and firing on all cylinders. But what happens when Ferland and Leivo are healthy?

With Loui’s resurgence its going to be a difficult decision. The obvious choices other than Schaller are Motte and/or Beagle but they are both contributing to the current success.

Thoughts?

Ferland takes Motte's spot, Leivo sits.

Why Virtanen makes Leivo redundant and Horvat plays better with Eriksson. Ferland gets motte's spot cause Ferland has more offensive possibilities after about 3 games or so If Ferland can't contribute offensively and is a defensive liability he sits and Motte goes in.

Well Ferland is in Pearson, Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Eriksson and cause Millers has been playing PK a little as well these guys will have PK responsibilities. 

23 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

What a lot of you are missing (not you Ossi) is that Sutter just came back and Schaller is sitting.  Sutts has given the 4th line a shot in the arm.  

I think the real question here is what the depth chart actually looks like.  

Clearly they're liking Gaudette and want to keep him in so, Gaudette > Schaller and Sutter > Schaller

Who's better Beagle or Sutter?  I think that Beagle is a better 4C but Sutter is more versatile and can play up the line up.  I don't see Beagle playing up the line up.

Where does Eriksson sit?  I think his contribution is hard to put your finger on but somehow Pearson, Horvat, Eriksson together are producing better than any other combination for the Horvat line that we have seen this season.  Is this permanent?  Who knows?  In the mean time I think it's a mistake to break up a winning combination.

Would anybody be surprised if Ferland has played his last game?  I don't know where he slides in, if he slides in when healthy.

The way Virtanen is playing, I think he has definitely reached a top 6 level.  I would place him ahead of Leivo now.  Boeser?  He's top 6 too and I think that the only reason why he is on the 3rd line now is because of the new chemistry on the Horvat line.

This is getting complicated and decisions will be made when Ferland and Leivo are healthy.  There is a question whether Eriksson will remain as effective when that time comes.  For that matter, will Virtanen?

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Virtanen

Roussel Gaudette Leivo

Sutter Beagle Motte

Ferland

Eriksson

Schaller

I think green sticks to what he likes and i think he likes

Miller Petty Boeser

Pearson Horvat Eriksson

Roussel Gaud Virtanen

Ferland Beagle Sutter

out

Motte 

Schaller

Look above for reasoning 

Plus you are right Beagle will not come out cause he is a center. Better to have more centers in and wingers out.

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Pearson - Horvat - Leivo

Ferland - Beagle - Motte

Sutter, Schaller

I disagree look above for my reasoning 

Sutter so stays in

54 minutes ago, reyezone said:

I would consider giving Beagle a break.

It seems that hip injury may not be 100% and he is having trouble getting around the ice as effectively as he usually does.

Maybe Sutter slides to the middle and Beagle can rest up a bit for the playoffs. 

...No way Motte comes out.

Motto so comes out look for my reasoning above 

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Ferland sits IMO. Leivo is a tougher one. He was producing at a borderline 2nd line rate while playing. Might be the case that he sits out but other players have a very short leash. Leivo is hardly a downgrade on any of our middle six players, so if any of them let off the gas, he'll be right there to step in for them.

Agree with Leivo, I so disagree about Ferland look for my reasoning above.

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I would like to see them take a proactive approach to managing injuries if they have the depth.

No reason why we can’t rotate guys like Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Motte and Eriksson in and out of the lineup down the stretch in order to keep them fresh and limit wear and tear.

Even if it’s just minor injury or fatigue they can play through why not rest and be 100% if we have that luxury? It also gives a chance to look at different pairings which could be helpful for later in the season.

The same approach should be looked at with guys like Edler and Tanev if we’re sitting in a good spot. Those guys are key to our success if we wanna make some noise in the playoffs.

Terrible idea to rotate chemistry is more important. Only reason to pull a guy is he is suffering minor injury or playing bad. otherwise leave the lines alone. Motte out Ferland in and Leivo sits as well, look for my reasoning above.

3 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Terrible idea to rotate chemistry is more important. Only reason to pull a guy is he is suffering minor injury or playing bad. otherwise leave the lines alone. Motte out Ferland in and Leivo sits as well, look for my reasoning above.

Must have missed the part where I specifically said minor injury or fatigue.

Theres always players that are banged up. Having depth that can actually play and fit into the lineup is even more important. Chemistry is either there or it isn’t, it’s not gonna disappear after a few games.

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Must have missed the part where I specifically said minor injury or fatigue.

Theres always players that are banged up. Having depth that can actually play and fit into the lineup is even more important. Chemistry is either there or it isn’t, it’s not gonna disappear after a few games.

I agree with your assessment if they are injured then rotate. I just don't think it is wise to rotate them if their is no injury and they are rolling along. 

21 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I disagree look above for my reasoning 

Sutter so stays in

17 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I so disagree look for my reasoning above.

20 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Motto so comes out look for my reasoning above 

Is this a meme, or just trying to be a valley girl?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Miller Pettersson Virtanen

Pearson Horvat Boeser

Roussel Gaudette Ferland

Sutter Beagle Motte

Leivo, Eriksson

I don’t think we’ll have this “problem” for awhile though. But then things could look much different anyways.

Miller- Pettersson- Virtanen

Pearson- Horvat- Eriksson

Rouselle- Gaudette- Boeser

Ferland- Sutter- Motte

Press Box: Beagle, Schaller

Stecher+ T.Madden+3rd= M. Dumba

Hughes- Dumba

Edler- Tanev

Fatenberg- Myers

Motte stays in, no doubt!   Yes, there's still room for improvement on this roster, but I don't think Ferland and Leivo are the players to improve it.    

I think Green sees Virtanen as a better defensive player than BB6 and helps the first line play against better players.  Meanwhile, the third line looks like it has been missing Virtanen and has been the weakest line the team has iced in the past two games.