The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning

Rate this topic

aqua59

5 hours ago, sassbs said:

Is everyone forgetting what this man has done to this club?  Sure he has made some questionable moves, which GM hasn’t?  
Before he showed up our top prospects were who?  Gaunce and Shinikuruk (sp?). 

Now look at what we have.  So much depth that trading madden wasn’t an issue.  Granted he came in 2014... and it’s been slightly over 5 years but during those 5 years he has made this club into an exciting dynamic team. 

I love what Benning has done!   It’s the rest of the staff that needs to piss off!  Including green/pp/pk coaches.   

Look at what Ottawa did, they merely got rid of all their star players and their cupboards were bare because they had traded away all their picks and prospects to make their big push and in two years they just beat Benning's playoff team, with 3X players as young or younger than the Canucks youngsters.

41 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Lol New York rangers in 3 years have 6 first 3 2nd.. that's more 1st rounder and as much 2nd rounder as we did in 5 years and already knocking on the playoff door plus a deep prospect pool.. while we never even bothered to trade off assets for picks during the entire rebuild.. except for burrows and Hansen...

Whom both we got nothing out of since we dumped everything they were traded for. We drafted right.. but we never rebuilt right.. poor asset management 

If they didn't sign Panarin in the off season this would not be the case.  They would probably be in Detroit territory.

2 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Look at what Ottawa did, they merely got rid of all their star players and their cupboards were bare because they had traded away all their picks and prospects to make their big push and in two years they just beat Benning's playoff team, with 3X players as young or younger than the Canucks youngsters.

not saying your other arguments are wrong or right, but if you are using a regular season victory as a barometer of where teams are I guess Canucks are a more legit contender than Boston is...

2 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

yeah it usually takes about 4-6 years.... Thats where we would be at now if we did it properly....that's my point.

The oilers are an absolute joke.  They couldn't draft outside the first round, they had stooges running their front office and just because you draft kids, it doesnt mean you have to throw them to the wolves 

it has been 3 years  blame the owners wanting to give sedins one last shot  at the playoffs 

Edited by the grinder

Buffalo Sabres

2013 Draft = 11 picks

2014 Draft = 9 picks

2016 Draft = 10 picks

Using pick hoarding = success logic you would expect more success here.

Lets cut to the bottom line.  Your top end talent dictates your success.   Pittsburgh's excessive first round picks in any year are probably irrelevant to their success if it were not for franchise / generational tier talents the drafted in the top 3 (Malkin and Crosby)

Just now, The 5th Line said:

Okay so  what franchises have been succesful without pick hoarding?  

St Louis blues won the cup

Most of last 5  years they have been running with like 6 picks a year.

3 minutes ago, Darius said:

not saying your other arguments are wrong or right, but if you are using a regular season victory as a barometer of where teams are I guess Canucks are a more legit contender than Boston is...

Hear of the flu?, They lost the next one as well. One game isn't a season.

39 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Lol New York rangers in 3 years have 6 first 3 2nd.. that's more 1st rounder and as much 2nd rounder as we did in 5 years and already knocking on the playoff door plus a deep prospect pool.. while we never even bothered to trade off assets for picks during the entire rebuild.. except for burrows and Hansen...

Whom both we got nothing out of since we dumped everything they were traded for. We drafted right.. but we never rebuilt right.. poor asset management 

Read the first sentence of that post. Panarin is doing wonders for them (as he did for CBJ as well), this is something that people here would be questioning why we would go all in on a high priced UFA at this stage of the rebuild. This has worked out nicely for them. We in turn made a trade for JT Miller who has also panned out for us. Both players are amongst the best acquisition of the year and both have pushed us into the playoff conversation. We paid a 1st, but we aren't spending nearly 13 million of cap on one player either. Pro and cons for each direction.

They did it their way, we did it ours, we are both in similar situations in terms of standings. Just a clear example that there is more than one way to rebuild. There are several other examples of teams that sold off assets and are still struggling to get out of their funks.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Lazurus said:

Hear of the flu?, They lost the next one as well. One game isn't a season.

hey you are the one bringing up the fact that Ottawa won therefore they are ahead of the Canucks...

1 hour ago, Toews said:

Someone needs to be served the pink slip if we miss the playoffs, we have invested far too much into this season to see it in end up in failure. Benning is a better GM today than he was 5 years ago, that also needs to be taken into consideration. Aquilini has a habit of hiring rookie GMs, its not likely that whoever we get will be proven at the NHL level. 

Toews buddy.....

Ask yourself if Boeser and Markstrom were both here, would we be having this conversation...….

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

You scoffed at the idea that it took 6 years for chicago to win 3 cups... like you wouldn't want that?  How do you think they did it?  Spending a bunch of money on 4th liners or did they draft well then wheel and deal?

no I said it took 6 years  how is that scoffing lol  3 years of rebuilding  isn't 6  years   btw it  took  Chicago 11 years  to win 3 cups  not 6   

Edited by the grinder
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Darius said:

Buffalo Sabres

2013 Draft = 11 picks

2014 Draft = 9 picks

2016 Draft = 10 picks

Using pick hoarding = success logic you would expect more success here.

Lets cut to the bottom line.  Your top end talent dictates your success.   Pittsburgh's excessive first round picks in any year are probably irrelevant to their success if it were not for franchise / generational tier talents the drafted in the top 3 (Malkin and Crosby)

Tank Nation endorses this message. 
Master Drafter Benning Fan Club, does not. 

It’s interesting, the competing, circular logic we see in varied opinions on Benning regarding his rebuilding vs extra picks-rebuilding. I’m never able to nail down which philosophy he is being praised for. 

Is he a draft master and should get more kicks at the can to rebuild with or is that a myth and our drafting will inevitably mirror anyone else’s’ unless they are lottery picks, or just plain high picks. 

9 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

We paid a 1st, but we aren't spending nearly 13 million of cap on one player either. Pro and cons for each direction.

Over 10 mil for Eriksson and Ferland? Over 10 mil for 3rd and 4th liners? and Sven? All cannot be traded.

• Wat 1

18 minutes ago, the grinder said:

I am  baer we gave up a second for right ?  

I’m inviting you to be objective in your arguments by showing both success and failure when using this metric.

You’ve proposed two successes in a row, you know what must come next now right? 

You are not required to say anything here, I was merely pointing out, preemptively as it may be, how your comments could be perceived as biased or a subjective sample size. I trust that is not what you’d like represented. 

I hope you see my intentions there. This Church of Benning needs to fill out both isles or it will tip onto one side. If you only cite picks that worked out, you’re really not being objective, IMO, and we can’t find the common ground. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

It’s like we can’t manage two competing thoughts at once on here or you’re a hate-troll from Toronto. 
I can love EP and criticize how he came to be ours. 

Have to be very careful about thoughts here, I am a fan of Vancouver and want them to do the best they can as fast as possible and without getting something for expiring contracts the only way now is through the draft, IMO the team needs more draft picks playing on the team faster before losing becomes okay to the players.

I feel they are two minimum away from making the type of moves Benning just made, trading away a first and second. Miller is good but a draft pick could be good for 8 years and cheaper for 6 years. Cap and asset management count too.

EP, QH, JV and BB are all good players, just not enough.

• Vintage 1