The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning

Rate this topic

aqua59

19 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Doubt we'd get Parayko but Manson from Anaheim might be attainable.

Might as well fire JB if he did that .  Love Manson, but at 27 we'd might as well just look for a UFA and pay a little premium for a guy like him.  Dumba I'd stomach - his stock is lowered, might have to add a little but you never know .... wait were you joking?

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Might as well fire JB if he did that .  Love Manson, but at 27 we'd might as well just look for a UFA and pay a little premium for a guy like him.  Dumba I'd stomach - his stock is lowered, might have to add a little but you never know .... wait were you joking?

Shutdown guy in his prime who can play on the first pairing, tough as nails, and moves well?  I'd love to see us go after him.  Imagine him playing with Hughes and watching his back.  Not necessarily the price I'd give up but I would be willing to pay a premium for him.  He's exactly what this group needs.

Edited by King Heffy

41 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Do you think St Louis Would do that ?

Is there some reason you think parayko could end up here? 

They have to re-sign Pietrangelo to $10 million+.  With Faulk signed long term at $6.5 million that right side of defence is going to take up a lot of cap space.  They may want to move Parayko for help up front...

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

You have it all wrong. 
You only HATE Benning because you hate yourself and are a social reject at parties. 
It has nothing to do with strategy, execution and results. 

I’m tapping out of this thread. 

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

You have it all wrong. 
You only HATE Benning because you hate yourself and are a social reject at parties. 
It has nothing to do with strategy, execution and results. 

I’m tapping out of this thread. 

Nice to see you back.   Next time we shouldn't go back in time and relive this.   Might as well go back and talk about the Messier/Keenan days. It's just as fun - I'm out too.

So, if someone were to start a Change.org petition that encourages Loui to retire this summer, what would that classify under within Change.org?

These are the options that they have:

Environment: His play kind of stinks the last couple of seasons, so I guess there's always that angle

Animals: I don't think he kicks dogs or anything, but I'm sure he's not good for Fin's overall health

Health: I think there's a mental health angle, we'll all be much happier fans if he's not on the team or the books anymore

Human Rights: Ummmmm....rights to watch good, motivated hockey? Is that a stretch???

Economic Justice: Well, 36 million for 38 goals, almost a million per goal, that has to break some type of law you would think!

Local: Kind of crosses over into a few of the above. Happier fans = less violent fans.

Criminal Justice: Wellll, see Economic Justice and let's just extend that to highway robbery!

Womens Rights: Again, happier fans = less domestic violence = less women cutting husbands brake lines = less traffic accidents = lower insurance rates.

Politics: Can we link his retirement to Trumps reelection? Get rid of 2 bad things at once???

Education: He could take up a job teaching how to score MASSIVE contracts without actually scoring! That feeds the economy too!!!!!! :)

Entertainment: I've yet to see that from Loui, but I keep hoping....:huh:

Immigration: Can anyone think of a way we can have him deported for non performance?

LGBT Rights: I think this crosses over back to the whole happier fans = more tolerance for other. Anyone have any other idea on this one??? 

Technology: I got nothing here.....

Other: Again, I got nothing.....ohhhh community improvement maybe??? Again, Happier fans = yada yada...

What do you think guys? Maybe we can get some fans (cough) @Alflives, (cough, cough), manning a table in front of Rogers arena signing people to our petition???

7 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

@Devron are you going to try to counter anything or just leave clueless confused faces on my posts?  

Lets hear it

I can’t remember what you posted. Did you edit it out? I remember actually being confused about what you said though 

4 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Thanks for that work. 

If JB is such a Draft God, then why not ply the man with as many picks as possible?

The Age Gap Replace-athon, was it truly necessary? 
Was using picks to execute necessary, or were there other options like PTOs, college kids, etc to use instead of picks? 

Water under the bridge now, but it’s still happening. We say less now because Miller was a success, but there sure has been a pile of fails too and given tnis management’s supposed drafting prowess, it’s a bizarre approach. I think this is what your list serves to remind us of. 

Do you realize that there is a rule called 50 contract limits?  You can't sign all draft picks and you need balanced youth and veterans and give time to youth in the development stage.  You lose your own draft pick if you couldn't sign them at the limit and you do not get those asset back as the prospects are put in re-enter the draft after 2 years..  If you sign all youth from the draft picks, there would be no veterans left over to help out the young guns after their ELC.   There is a reason why JB traded away high picks as they will not be ready and if there's a bad 1st round draft like 1999 draft year excerpt for Sedin, you would sell them as soon as you can if you are able to predict the future and you do not win the lottery and get something from it.  Predicting deep draft year is a roulette.  Some expert said that it's a deep draft pi8ck, how do you know, the expert were wrong in 1999.     

4 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Okay so Chicago, L.A, Pittsburgh, vs St Louis 

St Louis 2006-08 ........ 6 1sts, 5 2nds, 5 3rds.  Yeah 6 1sts and 5 2nds in three drafts     They were great all the way through the 2010's and finally got over the hump in a fluke like fashion.  In that the norm or the regular.?  

Really, you gonna go back 11-13 years? Lol. 

Im not trying to say picks arent important, I dont think that pick hoarding is the gold standard of championship teams that are you are making it out to be.    I betcha you were salivating at what a genius Buffalo management was hoarding all those picks 4-5 years back, just like how you are salivating over Detroit's picks now.   Extra picks  guarantee nothing.

Do you really think that if Pittsburgh hadnt drafted Fluery at FIRST overall,  Malkin at SECOND overall, Crosby at FIRST overall, and STAAL at SECOND overall in a short time frame, it would REALLY matter that they had 4 7th round picks and 4 3rd round picks in 2 years?.   If Crosby wasnt a once in 20 year talent do you think it matters who they picked multiple times in the 6th round? 

Top tier talent wins you the cups, Chicago shows us that, Pittsburgh shows us that.   A bunch of fifth and 3rd rounders are nice to have, and certainly can be used as currency to bolster a core (or you may fluke out with a Jamie Benn once in a blue moon) but the biggest factor is picking high and nailing a franchise calibre player or two(or a generational talent like Crosby...). 

Benning isnt perfect, and I wouldnt be losing sleep if they can him this season if the team misses...but buddy has had the worst luck at the draft lotto and still managed to pick some pretty good players you can build a core with.

Edited by Darius
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, sassbs said:

Is everyone forgetting what this man has done to this club?  Sure he has made some questionable moves, which GM hasn’t?  
Before he showed up our top prospects were who?  Gaunce and Shinikuruk (sp?). 

Vancouver has been terrible for years.

If you used a draft magazine you'd have great prospects too when you finish at the bottom.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CanadianRugby said:

Vancouver has been terrible for years.

If you used a draft magazine you'd have great prospects too when you finish at the bottom.

Yet teams that picked ahead of Benning picked worse players than say Pettersson, Hughes and Boeser. Leafs stockpiled TONS of picks and got Flamingo, Matthews, Marner and Dermott. 

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yet teams that picked ahead of Benning picked worse players than say Pettersson, Hughes and Boeser. Leafs stockpiled TONS of picks and got Flamingo, Matthews, Marner and Dermott. 

So?  He also picked OJ over Tkachuk.

Virtanen over Pasternak, Nylander & Ehlers.  

Some you hit on some you miss.  Point is that if you're picking 5th - 7th every year, you'll end up with really good players.  It doesn't make Benning a great GM that he got good players with high picks.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

You said St Louis didn't hoard picks and they did, they got Pietrangelo and other pieces of the core, they had tons of trade chips from those drafts and they used them to build success through the 2010's.  It takes time to build a foundation properly.[/quote]

you are bringing up a period from 2006....sorry but thats funny.  Talk about reaching.  Maybe you should give Benning the same patience...hell you are willing to give ST Louis 13 years. lol

5 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Pittsburgh was hoarding picks like mad until they won the Lottery for Sid, the best player since Lemieux.  

Hoarding what picks?  A bunch of post 3rd and 7th rounders.   Answer the question: What won PIttsburgh the cup...the fact that the picked 1st two times (including 2 generational players) and second overall two times or the fact that they had multiple third and 7th round picks.  What do you think the biggest factor was the picks or the multiple guys they got at the very top of the draft?

Its a simple question.

Fact is there isnt one rulebook on how to build a team. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

@Darius

Do you want to know why Vancouver has "sucked" at drafting for the last god knows how long?

It's because they did the opposite of what every other team did.  Hoard picks...

Canucks - 

2004  7 picks

2005 6 picks

2006 5 picks

2007 6 picks

2008 5 picks

2009 7 picks

2010 5 picks

The drafting wasn't even that horrible they just didn't give themselves enough picks to work with.

We still haven't won jack **** because we just don't do it right 

I think the biggest factor is we have picked the wrong guys a lot of the time and we havent picked top 3 since when?   like 20 plus years?

Not having multiple 4th and 5th rounders isnt as bad as picking Nathan Smith over Justin williams in the first round as an example

Edit: Id like to also add that at the tail end of the period you listed above the Canucks got within one game of the cup and prob should have won it.  No pick hoarding....having top tier talent in the form of 2 scoring title winners and a selke trophy winner was the biggest reason.

Edited by Darius
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Some you hit on some you miss.  Point is that if you're picking 5th - 7th every year, you'll end up with really good players.  It doesn't make Benning a great GM that he got good players with high picks.  

Picking good/great players makes hime a good GM, he has a pretty good track record thus far.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Dude, you’re obviously a seasoned fan like the rest of us and make your points, sorry if I was a tad lecturer-y there or whatever. I may have jumped the gun and came at you with assumptions then. Sounds like I did there, apologies. 

its all good , I am definitely a well seasoned fan, lol   I have pretty much seen it all in Canucks history ,so ive seen some pretty crappy Canucks teams , all I will say imo  jb has done a decent job as gm , he just need to stay away from the free agent market  lol

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Pastrnak is cheating. Practically the whole league passed on him lol

Edited by Devron44
  • Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

You can’t write off OJ just yet.   Thachuk is good but he’s a puke!  We don’t know how OJ will turn out.   And you really want Nylander on this team??  Drafting is a hit in a miss.  It takes a special GM to spot those rare gems.  Yes he missed out on Pasternak  but he also nailed Pettersson and Hughes.  Virtanen Is slowly coming around.  How many years did it take cam Neely to come around? Or Bertuzzi?