The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning

Rate this topic

aqua59

Just now, The 5th Line said:

13 years who cares how long it takes, as long as it gets done.  You don't think those 2006-2008 picks helped St Louis with there success  through the 2010's?  They were a favorite for many of years actually and with the proper moves easily could of won the cup.

Pittsburgh 03 had first overall and 2 extra 3rds.  In 04 they had two extra 2nds and two extra 3rd.  In 05 they won a lottery for the best player since Mario Lemieux so isn't it fair they said screw the draft picks?  Or are you one of those who thinks Petey is a genrational talent as well..?  YOu said Pittsburgh has two generational talents?  See, no they have one, Crosby.  

I understand there is more than one way, you need to be good at all aspects.  But what team has had successful long term success and has won a cup?  Im giving you names of tons of team who at one point during their rebuild, hoarded picks like crazy.  You haven't given me anything.  

What you are not getting is that pick hoarding is a byproduct of most teams that go through a trajectory.  They sell off their vets and start again.   The biggest factor that wins cups is the top tier talent you get, usually at to top of the draft.  Buffalo has hoarded picks, as an example, for how long now...how is that working?

You still fail to answer the question.  What was the biggest factor in Pittsburgh's cup wins...the FOUR times they picked in the top TWO...or the 4 or 5 picks they got in the 3rd and 7th rounds in 3 years?  Come one be honest.

Arguing if Malkin is a generational talent or not is a moot point in this discussion. Fact is he was picked  SECOND overall and the IMPACT of that player TRUMPS anything pittsburgh did in the 3rd and 7th rounds like you are impying.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Here's the changes I think this team goes through over the summer;

Forward:

Out:

Eriksson - Retire after bonus paid. I think he knows that he's in Utica next season if he doesn't, and that's too far from where he's settled his family. I don't believe that he's a buyout option this summer, we would save more by sending him to Utica for a season and then buying him out next summer. Would actually work out better for us on the Cap. I think we have all the pressure for him to just call it a career and maybe pickup a position with the team.

Sutter - I think he's actually still effective when healthy, but I think Benning will look to move him out and make more room

Leivo - Like the guy, but I think they will opt for other guys from within at a cheaper cap hit.

Baertschi - He'll either be packed in a trade or bought out. 

In:

Toffoli - I think we resign him for about 6 million per season. He's looked good out there.

MacEwan - I think he's on this team out of camp unless he really screws up in camp.

Defense: - I think Benning wants to complete his makeover 

Out:

Tanev - I think signs in Toronto. Could be wrong here, but I think if we haven't made a major move to sign him by now, the team is looking at other options

Stecher - Would be sorry to see him leave, but I think he gets traded at the draft. Something along the lines of From Canucks: Stecher, 5th rounder, To Canucks 2nd Round pick. He's solid defense, but I think Benning wants to upgrade size and make us harder to play against in our own zone.

Benn - Either flipped or sent to Utica in camp. We actually save slightly more in cap space by sending him to Utica for a season.

In:

Tyson Barrie - I think he wants to be in Vancouver, and I think Benning has tried to acquire him a few times. I think he signs here for somewhere around 6 - 6.5 million per. Benning wants more horsepower on defense and this would help provide it.

Tryamkin - I think he signs here as soon as his season in Russia ends. He's the upgrade to Stecher, will help to cut down shots in the slot and make us much more intimidating to play against. I believe that Benning will chase him hard this month and bring him back.

Juolevi - I believe that he will be on this team next year. I think they want him to finish in Utica and have one more summer of training, but I think he's going to round out our third pairing next season.

Note: Fantenberg - I think we sign him back for around 1 million per, he's a good sound 7th D. He's probably peaked in capability, I think they will use him in the pressbox and on hand for injuries, and leave the kids (Rafferty, Woo, Rathbone, possibly Utinen) down in Utica to play bigger minutes and gain more experience. I think Rafferty is first call up.

Goal - I think both Markstrom and Demko are back in net next season.

With an estimate of 1 million increase in cap, I think we'll be able to do this, resign the guys that we need to and still have a little wiggle room. Although I hope I'm wrong, I think Ferland spends the rest of his contract and career on LTIR and then retires.

About $15,735,000 out in contracts, should give us roughly 34,000,000 in cap space

Contract breakdown

Toffoli - 6 million

Virtanen - 2.5 million

Motte - 1.25 million

Gaudette - 2.25 million

MacEwan - 750k One Way (takes less for 1 way deal)

Barrie - 6.5 million

Tryamkin - 3.5 million (I might be a little high on this)

Juolevi - Already signed, but would be his cap hit of 834k

Fantenberg - 1 million

Markstrom - 6 - 6.5 million

Total roughly 30.585, plus returning, we should actually have about 3 million in space if we get the 1 million increase.

This is approximately how I see it playing out, will be interested to see how close I am.

6.5 for barrie   for what 7 years   ?   I don't think so   

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, the grinder said:

Be nice to see Barrie sign somewhere right on July 1st so we can stop seeing this come up. We need defence not offence. What’s there not to understand here lol

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, the grinder said:

I'm guessing, but I think 6 - 6.5 is realistically what he would sign for if he wound up coming here. I would guess 4 - 5 year term.

Now, the predictions I made, aren't necessarily what I think we should do, its how I think summer will play out.

Time will tell if I'm right or not.

Just now, The 5th Line said:

Well my argument ties in with other issues like cap structure, players ready and in on entry level deals, having extra pieces to shed to get rid of players like Loui.  Our cap is tight and we will be losing player in the offseason for nothing.  It's not about the players that come from the draft its about assets, surplus etc.  

alright, now you are introducing a bunch of other topics.  I get up at 5am so im hitting the sack.  Maybe we can continue tomorrow...i actually like discussing this with you.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

True, same can be said about Boeser though if we're using that argument. 

Boeser was picked in the area where he was ranked. Pastrnak was ranked as high as 16th on some scouting reports. 

21 minutes ago, sassbs said:

You can’t write off OJ just yet.   Thachuk is good but he’s a puke!  We don’t know how OJ will turn out.   And you really want Nylander on this team??  Drafting is a hit in a miss.  It takes a special GM to spot those rare gems.  Yes he missed out on Pasternak  but he also nailed Pettersson and Hughes.  Virtanen Is slowly coming around.  How many years did it take cam Neely to come around? Or Bertuzzi? 

I'm not writing OJ off but we have to go off what we've seen since they were drafted.  One has turned into one of the best young players in the league and the other hasn't made the NHL.  If it was OJ on Calgary and Tkachuk in Vancouver then 100% of people on CDC would be laughing and calling their GM an idiot for passion on Tkachuk. 

Nylander started his career with back to back 60 point seasons.  The only thing bad about him is his contract.  

Cam Neely had 72 points in his 4th season.  Virtanen has 94 points in 5 seasons put together.  

Comparing Virtanen to Cam Neely and still arguing that OJ might be a better pick than Tkachuk is just crazy talk. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Well my argument ties in with other issues like cap structure, players ready and in on entry level deals, having extra pieces to shed to get rid of players like Loui.  Our cap is tight and we will be losing player in the offseason for nothing.  It's not about the players that come from the draft its about assets, surplus etc.  

well the canucks do have players on entry level contracts  petey , hughes , gaudette , and big zack  ,  there is 4  on entry level  deals  next year there will 2 to 3 more entry level contracts,  Used an extra piece to get a injury replacement for brock  and , every team loses a few pieces for nothing ,,. So Where do you get assets from ?did pitts just find Malkin Letang Fleury and Crosby on the side of the road?   drafting well gets you assets , because 95% of nhl players are drafted  lol

2 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

I'm not writing OJ off but we have to go off what we've seen since they were drafted.  One has turned into one of the best young players in the league and the other hasn't made the NHL.  If it was OJ on Calgary and Tkachuk in Vancouver then 100% of people on CDC would be laughing and calling their GM an idiot for passion on Tkachuk. 

Nylander started his career with back to back 60 point seasons.  The only thing bad about him is his contract.  

Cam Neely had 72 points in his 4th season.  Virtanen has 94 points in 5 seasons put together.  

Comparing Virtanen to Cam Neely and still arguing that OJ might be a better pick than Tkachuk is just crazy talk. 

no willies  cornrows were pretty bad too Image result for william nylander hair

37 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

True, same can be said about Boeser though if we're using that argument. 

Fair. That was based on what was missed by JB. So I guess the real question is how many GM’s nail their pick every year. If you look at past history, there are many busts in the first round and if you go through the draft list and start sorting teams practically every team in the leagued missed somewhere and another team made the better pick. There’s no doubt as of in this moment that Petey and Hughes should have went 1st overall in their draft classX that could change slightly in time of course. If Joulevi and Virtanen were the wrong picks and you include Boeser. We nailed 60% Over the past 5 year. Potentially 66% In 6 years if Podz turn out to be the right pick. I would almost bet thats very good 

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

And who in management responsible for these picks?  And he’s moving on.  

You can’t put a gun to his head Alf, if in deed he is moving. 
Do we know for sure he’s leaving? And if so, what is the reason?

Maybe somebody offered him the assistant GM position or even a GM position?

Or maybe family issues etc etc etc...maybe he slept with JB’s wife...:bigblush:

I may have missed some info somewhere, but then please enlighten me, cause bashing our GM for something that, A: hasn’t happened yet or B: lack of knowledge, is just being tabloid whiny.... :frantic:

10 hours ago, Lazurus said:

I think it was the 3 mil a year for 5 years that helped him decide to just sit pat., Oh you didn't know about that? Okay ditto with Gilman, another few mil paid them to not work. Torts too but the team had to release him from his deal and then he signed an even bigger one and won the Adams didn't he? He left 2 mil a year for 4 mil a year.

Gillis only became available this year and he has been mentioned for the NJD job already.

You didn't know this?

Are you suggesting we should have kept Torts here???

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Here's the changes I think this team goes through over the summer;

Forward:

Out:

Eriksson - Retire after bonus paid. I think he knows that he's in Utica next season if he doesn't, and that's too far from where he's settled his family. I don't believe that he's a buyout option this summer, we would save more by sending him to Utica for a season and then buying him out next summer. Would actually work out better for us on the Cap. I think we have all the pressure for him to just call it a career and maybe pickup a position with the team.

Sutter - I think he's actually still effective when healthy, but I think Benning will look to move him out and make more room

Leivo - Like the guy, but I think they will opt for other guys from within at a cheaper cap hit.

Baertschi - He'll either be packed in a trade or bought out. 

In:

Toffoli - I think we resign him for about 6 million per season. He's looked good out there.

MacEwan - I think he's on this team out of camp unless he really screws up in camp.

Defense: - I think Benning wants to complete his makeover 

Out:

Tanev - I think signs in Toronto. Could be wrong here, but I think if we haven't made a major move to sign him by now, the team is looking at other options

Stecher - Would be sorry to see him leave, but I think he gets traded at the draft. Something along the lines of From Canucks: Stecher, 5th rounder, To Canucks 2nd Round pick. He's solid defense, but I think Benning wants to upgrade size and make us harder to play against in our own zone.

Benn - Either flipped or sent to Utica in camp. We actually save slightly more in cap space by sending him to Utica for a season.

In:

Tyson Barrie - I think he wants to be in Vancouver, and I think Benning has tried to acquire him a few times. I think he signs here for somewhere around 6 - 6.5 million per. Benning wants more horsepower on defense and this would help provide it.

Tryamkin - I think he signs here as soon as his season in Russia ends. He's the upgrade to Stecher, will help to cut down shots in the slot and make us much more intimidating to play against. I believe that Benning will chase him hard this month and bring him back.

Juolevi - I believe that he will be on this team next year. I think they want him to finish in Utica and have one more summer of training, but I think he's going to round out our third pairing next season.

Note: Fantenberg - I think we sign him back for around 1 million per, he's a good sound 7th D. He's probably peaked in capability, I think they will use him in the pressbox and on hand for injuries, and leave the kids (Rafferty, Woo, Rathbone, possibly Utinen) down in Utica to play bigger minutes and gain more experience. I think Rafferty is first call up.

Goal - I think both Markstrom and Demko are back in net next season.

With an estimate of 1 million increase in cap, I think we'll be able to do this, resign the guys that we need to and still have a little wiggle room. Although I hope I'm wrong, I think Ferland spends the rest of his contract and career on LTIR and then retires.

About $15,735,000 out in contracts, should give us roughly 34,000,000 in cap space

Contract breakdown

Toffoli - 6 million

Virtanen - 2.5 million

Motte - 1.25 million

Gaudette - 2.25 million

MacEwan - 750k One Way (takes less for 1 way deal)

Barrie - 6.5 million

Tryamkin - 3.5 million (I might be a little high on this)

Juolevi - Already signed, but would be his cap hit of 834k

Fantenberg - 1 million

Markstrom - 6 - 6.5 million

Total roughly 30.585, plus returning, we should actually have about 3 million in space if we get the 1 million increase.

This is approximately how I see it playing out, will be interested to see how close I am.

Doubt LE walks away from 5 million (last two years).   Maybe he will his last year - or maybe then we can do a Marleau type deal (cost would be like Backes next TDL).  Hope he does.  That said where's the money for EP and Hughes coming from if we use it all up like this?  Sutter and Pearson?  Not enough, and they need replacements.  Suppose it's possible.  Getting Tryamkin back could be nice too.  Hurts my head to think about it...hope JBs cap plans work out....QH is playing himself into one boffo deal. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

F that!   Even here in Toronto, everyone hates Nylander.   There’s a reason for that.  All this guy does is float and is a perimeter player. come playoff time he is nowhere to be found.  He’s a season stat player.  

• Cheers 1