The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nova Scotia shooter dead after killing 22 people/CDN Govt "assault style" weapons ban.

nuckin_futz

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I guess.....maybe if you want to make a point in the future, do it by composing a coherent sentence....

Anyway, I've said my piece. Happy with this legislation, as are most Canadians. The rest of you" carry on with your whinging.....

And you carry on with your whinging about Trump.

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Someone could literally provide a list of what classify as assault rifles but people like you would just be like not definitive lol, so really there’s no point. 

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Please explain to us what an assualt rifle is, better yet give us the government definition. 

Point proven

Maybe justin should ban cigarettes in Canada if he wants to play the supreme being and save Canadian lives. They are a link to all the top causes of death in Canada.

Guns aren't even on the list but smart old justin thinks he needs to ban them. What a fool. He should go back to teaching kindergarten. At least he is semi qualified for that.

image.png.50c47b3a0c8ccf4fee42f5824bd54704.png

Edit: In 2018 249 firearms deaths in Canada....most were gang bangers killing each other.   justin surely can find a better way to spend billions of dollars to save lives.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Pears said:

Point proven

You didn't prove squat. Give us the definition. Good luck on that.

The issue is once again you have no idea what you're discussing you just jumped in because you're infatuated with Trudeau. 

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

You didn't prove squat. Give us the definition. Good luck on that.

The issue is once again you have no idea what you're discussing you just jumped in because you're infatuated with Trudeau. 

This could be applied to you as well except your hate for Trudeau blinds you from reality

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Your bolded is kind of the point.

WE have not collectively deemed anything. 34% of the voting public voted in justin....so a minority of people voted that teacher into power and now that minority unconstitutionally banned privately owned items from 100% of the public. 

Sorry bud, that's democracy. We also deemed buying that stupid pipeline in the greater good. That's how democracy works. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Necessity is subjective.  Can't the same rule be applied for sports cars?  I mean... more people has probably died from sports cars than guns.  I'm not talking about regular cars... but cars that has like 400+hp, minimal passenger seating and minimal trunk space.  Why should society allow people to buy Ferraris?  Those people should just open to buy Corollas?  What place do they have in society?

The vast majority of gun owners aren't committing drive-by shootings, robbing banks, engaging a drug war, etc.  Spending billions and going after millions of Canadians... just to help with like a handful of deaths every year?  That's not even logically from a cost-benefit point of view.  

If they have stopped 100% of illegal guns from the US, has enforced the law on license gun owners malicious breaking the law, a gun ban might make sense if they are only source of it left.  But this current proposal... horse before cart.  

Sure it is, and like I said, society has deemed this to be too dangerous just as it has a myriad of other things. 

I don't get why you'd even want this much less need it. Shooting a metal plate 5 times sounds pointless to me. But if you want to do that, great. In an appropriate, safe place. Just like if I want to go racing cars I go to the track where it's a safe environment and not on the streets where it's illegal.

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

It's beyond pathetic. I posted a gun on Facebook and asked supporters of this if it should be banned they said yes then I showed them the gun, it's a bb gun. Lol but omg it looks scary. 

I don't give a flip about this I have 2 guns that made the list and I'm not turning them over.

As @Smashian Kassian said earlier. It’s a complete political play,  the liberals are going to protect you from the big scary assault firearms and the people, like in this very thread, suck that crap up. Because when they hear that term COD immediately jumps in their minds. 

if the liberals gave a rats about reducing gun related deaths it starts with handguns. You know the type of firearm type represents 75% of Canadian gun related crime and 60% of Canadian gun homicides. The type of firearm that Canada allows to go over the 5 round magazine limit. But nope free pass on those and instead we must ban the AR-15 which has caused 3 deaths in Canada over the last 30 years.  But you never hear a peep about that. Because it doesn’t buy you the fear vote. 

The most common reply you hear from people is, you don’t NEED to own one. Sure maybe we don’t, but Canada has a lot of things you don’t NEED. Smoking isn’t a right, alcohol isn’t a right, owning a sports car isn’t a right. There’s more smoking deaths in 2 days in Canada than yearly firearm deaths. And smoking also places a yearly health care cost of $6.6 billion a year. But we also don’t want to remove peoples freedoms. How many people would disregard the same argument in a debated for banning smoking. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, inane said:

Sure it is, and like I said, society has deemed this to be too dangerous just as it has a myriad of other things. 

I don't get why you'd even want this much less need it. Shooting a metal plate 5 times sounds pointless to me. But if you want to do that, great. In an appropriate, safe place. Just like if I want to go racing cars I go to the track where it's a safe environment and not on the streets where it's illegal.

Serious question.  What are your hobbies?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, inane said:

Golfing sounds pointless to me.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, inane said:

You obviously have absolutely no idea what you're talking about with regards to recreational shooting (or anything to do with firearms for that matter).

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Let's ban BB guns they look scary. What's next incarcerate people with scary looking tattoos?

Maybe they should. That way kids can use them like the old days without the fear of a police officer mistaking it for something else. 

And my tatts should not get me thrown in the slammer, they don't 'shoot' anything, although I am pretty sure there is a Marvel character that can do that. 

Common sense from a politician below. Almost unheard of.

“The Government of Alberta is concerned about all crime, including the illegal use of firearms. Today’s order by Ottawa does little to target criminals. Instead, Ottawa is singling out law-abiding Canadians who purchased their property legally, have owned these items safely for years, and who have committed no crimes,” stated Alberta Premier Jason Kenney.
“We know that the overwhelming majority of firearms used criminally in Canada are smuggled in illegally from the United States. Instead of addressing this, Ottawa will instead spend vast sums of money to criminalize law-abiding Canadians. That money would be far better used to pursue the smugglers and drug gangs that plague our society,” added Kenney.
“We also know that violent criminals who use guns are often released with surprisingly soft sentences. Rather than focus on law-abiding Canadians, we’d call on Parliament to bring back tough, mandatory sentences for the criminals who flagrantly endanger Canadians with their use of illegal guns,” implored Alberta Justice Minister Doug Schweitzer.
In November 2019, the Alberta legislature unanimously passed Government Motion 41, which stated:
“Be it resolved that the Legislative Assembly recognize and support the ability of Albertans to lawfully and in a responsible manner own and possess firearms and to engage in permitted activities involving the use of firearms, including but not limited to hunting and sport shooting.”
“The Government of Alberta will scrutinize today’s move by Ottawa and explore potential responses through this lens,” said Schweitzer.
“In response to today’s announcement from Ottawa, our government is actively considering appointing Alberta’s own chief firearms officer (CFO) to replace the CFO appointed by Ottawa,” concluded Kenney.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

btw.

Dont those that own these guns get to grandfather them?

I don't know if you will be able to take them to the range or hunt. But I think you get to keep them as paper weights. 

This has yet to be determined.

Buy back/grandfather plan are both on the table:

Full list and legislation (link could take a couple of tries)

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Common sense from a politician below. Almost unheard of.

“The Government of Alberta is concerned about all crime, including the illegal use of firearms. Today’s order by Ottawa does little to target criminals. Instead, Ottawa is singling out law-abiding Canadians who purchased their property legally, have owned these items safely for years, and who have committed no crimes,” stated Alberta Premier Jason Kenney.
“We know that the overwhelming majority of firearms used criminally in Canada are smuggled in illegally from the United States. Instead of addressing this, Ottawa will instead spend vast sums of money to criminalize law-abiding Canadians. That money would be far better used to pursue the smugglers and drug gangs that plague our society,” added Kenney.
“We also know that violent criminals who use guns are often released with surprisingly soft sentences. Rather than focus on law-abiding Canadians, we’d call on Parliament to bring back tough, mandatory sentences for the criminals who flagrantly endanger Canadians with their use of illegal guns,” implored Alberta Justice Minister Doug Schweitzer.
In November 2019, the Alberta legislature unanimously passed Government Motion 41, which stated:
“Be it resolved that the Legislative Assembly recognize and support the ability of Albertans to lawfully and in a responsible manner own and possess firearms and to engage in permitted activities involving the use of firearms, including but not limited to hunting and sport shooting.”
“The Government of Alberta will scrutinize today’s move by Ottawa and explore potential responses through this lens,” said Schweitzer.
“In response to today’s announcement from Ottawa, our government is actively considering appointing Alberta’s own chief firearms officer (CFO) to replace the CFO appointed by Ottawa,” concluded Kenney.

Jason Kenney and common sense do not belong in the same sentence lol. In fact that clown should be among the last people to give advice on something. 

• Wat 2

10 minutes ago, Pears said:

Jason Kenney and common sense do not belong in the same sentence lol. In fact that clown should be among the last people to give advice on something. 

To borrow from @Warhippy you are borderline "willfully ignorant" while ignoring the message due to the messenger.

Sad, really.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2