The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nova Scotia shooter dead after killing 22 people/CDN Govt "assault style" weapons ban.

nuckin_futz

3 minutes ago, You Mad Bro? said:

Every decision made by every political party will have opposition. Me and you clearly disagree. And that’s ok. We’re not going to change each other’s minds!

thats why we need a non-partisan solution to this. Get all the stakeholders to the table and work out something reasonable, otherwise this is just a political football. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

The some of biggest concerns about registry has always been about the potential blanket bans, abuse, and cost. 

The blanket done now is very poorly thought out and a list will just government more power to force gun owners to give up their personal possession.  They can just go "give them up immediately, no compensation"... so people will be out thousands of dollars with just a stroke of a pen.  At least if guns aren't not registered, there's a chance laws can be overturned and owners can keep their firearms.

Abuse... as I have laid out before, all you need is some police units to target a certain demographic.  Imagine if suddenly the RCMP primarily focuses on those who are aboriginal and black.  A simple task can suddenly become a racist policy.  

Lastly is cost.  If the whole registry costs like $10 billion.  It an audit finds out to has solved almost no crime and prevented almost no deaths, the electorates won't be happy.  People will be wishing that the $10 billion goes towards security the borders, more money for the courts to prosecute, more cops on the streets, more accessibility/availability for those with mental health concerns, etc.... pretty much what firearms owners are asking for now.  

It's not that LAGO are adamant in their position, but if you want something, you have to give something too.  

yeah i'm not a fan of blanket style regulation - I call it 'dumb regulation' and we can do much better.

cost is something thats drastically changed over the last few years, online databases are a tiny fraction to run now. The database should not be more expensive than the boots on the ground effort for border security e.g., not even close. 

abuse certainly is an issue where we'd need some checks on the system, but I don't see that as insurmountable either. 

1 hour ago, You Mad Bro? said:

It was a blanket statement. I also hunt and do live partly rural. But we disagree. I think if someone wants a gun and passes all the tests and clear the background check they should be able to have one. We can have different opinions. 

No argument there.  I just read your post and that statement stuck out glaringly.  Wanting a gun JUSt to have a gun seems like the exact type of argument people involved in this debate seem to have in spades, but never accept as being a non justifiable reason to own a weapon.

If someone can legally pass the checks and balances, pass their PAL/CSFC and either lives in rural areas, farms or hunts to feed their family or for a living no question.  But there are a LARGE number of owners that "own guns just because they want one" and that's a dangerous attitude to have .  Now that is my opinion only, but if there is no reason to have a gun than there should be no reason to get one and again.  That's just my opinion

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah i'm not a fan of blanket style regulation - I call it 'dumb regulation' and we can do much better.

cost is something thats drastically changed over the last few years, online databases are a tiny fraction to run now. The database should not be more expensive than the boots on the ground effort for border security e.g., not even close. 

abuse certainly is an issue where we'd need some checks on the system, but I don't see that as insurmountable either. 

But it's the government.... 

Brand new office, brand new computers, new furniture, new servers, new training material, new employees, new supervisors, new managers, security guards for the site, coffee machines, TV around the office, new cabinets, fancy window blinds, making source everything is carbon neutral, etc. 

The actual parts and software may be very affordable... but it's everything else that goes with it that will be pricey.  

Private companies could be cheaper... but you don't want such sensitive information to be outsourced.  

Once the bill is tallied up.... it may be the same price as boots on the ground.  

Looks like the liberals may have accidentally included 12 gauge shotguns (your squirrel gun... not that anyone in bc hunts squirrels) in the ban. 

just checking in To see if anyone’s demonstrated how the ban or a database would have prevented the few mass shootings that have happened in Canada this Century????  Things seemed to be pretty quiet on that front.....

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

No argument there.  I just read your post and that statement stuck out glaringly.  Wanting a gun JUSt to have a gun seems like the exact type of argument people involved in this debate seem to have in spades, but never accept as being a non justifiable reason to own a weapon.

If someone can legally pass the checks and balances, pass their PAL/CSFC and either lives in rural areas, farms or hunts to feed their family or for a living no question.  But there are a LARGE number of owners that "own guns just because they want one" and that's a dangerous attitude to have .  Now that is my opinion only, but if there is no reason to have a gun than there should be no reason to get one and again.  That's just my opinion

Respect your opinion. Based on logic not emotional ramblings. However I disagree with the last part. Cheers

Just now, J-Dizzle said:

Looks like the liberals may have accidentally included 12 gauge shotguns (your squirrel gun... not that anyone in bc hunts squirrels) in the ban. 

just checking in To see if anyone’s demonstrated how the ban or a database would have prevented the few mass shootings that have happened in Canada this Century????  Things seemed to be pretty quiet on that front.....

They also banned two websites too.

Must have been a military-style assault webpage, lol.  

7 minutes ago, You Mad Bro? said:

Respect your opinion. Based on logic not emotional ramblings. However I disagree with the last part. Cheers

We can agree to disagree.

But.

I will need some solid and concise explanation why Tom, who lives in downtown Toronto, doesn't hunt and lives in a gated condo needs to own say 3 AR-15s as he whines about his loss of rights and freedoms.

Those are the exact people I am speaking of when I say wanting one should not necessarily mean owning one.

I am open to more laws of storage like the swiss have, I am open for more restrictions on ammo sales and prices.  I am open for far more inspections and searches of travellers and packages/shipments coming from the school shooting capital of the world in America.  But I cannot ever stand behind Tom from Toronto as he whines about not being able to go out one day a year to cabin country and nuke 2 fridges, a microwave and 3 flats of empties with the boys while no doubt leaving the garbage behind

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

But it's the government.... 

Brand new office, brand new computers, new furniture, new servers, new training material, new employees, new supervisors, new managers, security guards for the site, coffee machines, TV around the office, new cabinets, fancy window blinds, making source everything is carbon neutral, etc. 

The actual parts and software may be very affordable... but it's everything else that goes with it that will be pricey.  

Private companies could be cheaper... but you don't want such sensitive information to be outsourced.  

Once the bill is tallied up.... it may be the same price as boots on the ground.  

I'm not sure thats true. Lots of sensitive info is outsourced. But of course then sometimes you get the Phoenix pay system. This wouldn't be anywhere near that complext tho, it could pretty much be done in Excel :lol:

25 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

We can agree to disagree.

But.

I will need some solid and concise explanation why Tom, who lives in downtown Toronto, doesn't hunt and lives in a gated condo needs to own say 3 AR-15s as he whines about his loss of rights and freedoms.

Those are the exact people I am speaking of when I say wanting one should not necessarily mean owning one.

I am open to more laws of storage like the swiss have, I am open for more restrictions on ammo sales and prices.  I am open for far more inspections and searches of travellers and packages/shipments coming from the school shooting capital of the world in America.  But I cannot ever stand behind Tom from Toronto as he whines about not being able to go out one day a year to cabin country and nuke 2 fridges, a microwave and 3 flats of empties with the boys while no doubt leaving the garbage behind

I don’t know anyone like that. Also we can’t buy ar15’s in Canada already. But I’d have no problem with John Smith living downtown Vancouver owning a shotgun. There’s already millions of Canadians who do that peacefully. 

40 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm not sure thats true. Lots of sensitive info is outsourced. But of course then sometimes you get the Phoenix pay system. This wouldn't be anywhere near that complext tho, it could pretty much be done in Excel :lol:

Oh gawd.

If a gun registry is anything like that then no thanks.  Triple the cost, numerous errors, still doesn't work right, etc. :picard:

32 minutes ago, You Mad Bro? said:

I don’t know anyone like that. Also we can’t buy ar15’s in Canada already. But I’d have no problem with John Smith living downtown Vancouver owning a shotgun. There’s already millions of Canadians who do that peacefully. 

Shotguns are OK.

A good buddy of mine got his hunting license a few years back.  Went every year to hunt duck.  And every time he comes back with nothing. :lol:  Lol.

An uncle (wife side) goes hunting for moose.  He seems to be lucky and bags one every time he goes (whenever he gets in the moose draw lottery??..not sure how that works).

Neither has a handgun nor feels the need to get one.

25 minutes ago, BPA said:

Shotguns are OK.

A good buddy of mine got his hunting license a few years back.  Went every year to hunt duck.  And every time he comes back with nothing. :lol:  Lol.

An uncle (wife side) goes hunting for moose.  He seems to be lucky and bags one every time he goes (whenever he gets in the moose draw lottery??..not sure how that works).

Neither has a handgun nor feels the need to get one.

Haha right on. I got skunked on deer last year. 

Once again....you're a "law abiding" citizen....until you're not:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/horrific-edmonton-tax-attorney-wife-daughter-dead-in-apparent-strathcona-county-murder-suicide/ar-BB13DRtc?li=AAggNb9

A tax attorney with Moodys in Edmonton is dead along with his wife and daughter in an apparent murder-suicide at the family’s Strathcona County acreage on Monday.

An “In Memorium” post on Moodys Tax website, removed Tuesday afternoon, read:

“We are deeply saddened by the loss of a beloved and founding member of the Moodys Tax family, Greg Gartner. We offer our deepest sympathies and condolences to Greg’s family and loved ones at this time. We will miss him.”

At 6:14 a.m. Monday, Strathcona County RCMP responded to a 911 call of a male with a firearm at a home on Range Road 222, said a Tuesday afternoon statement from police.

“To protect the public, the area was contained, traffic was diverted and nearby residences were evacuated. When Strathcona RCMP, including the Emergency Response Team, made entry onto the subject’s property, three people and one dog were located, deceased,” continues the release.

“RCMP Major Crimes are actively investigating what is believed to be the homicides of a 55-year-old woman and a 13-year-old girl. A 53-year-old male has died as a result of a self-inflicted injury. All three were members of the same family.”

30 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

three people and one dog were located, deceased,

I wonder if the dog was trying to protect the wife and child and then took a bullet for his effort.

Also this part:

32 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

We offer our deepest sympathies and condolences to Greg’s family and loved ones at this time. We will miss him

I'll presume came before they knew the guy went nuts, and killed people other than himself.

• Upvote 1

Cops in Lethbridge;            video and tweets at link.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/lethbridge-police-criticized-for-takedown-of-star-wars-stormtrooper/ar-BB13DRL0?ocid=spartandhp

The Lethbridge Police Service has started an internal investigation after officers drew their guns on a teenager dressed as a Star Wars stormtrooper carrying a toy gun.

The arrest happened around 11 a.m. on Monday. Police say they received two 911 calls about a person in a stormtrooper costume with a weapon.

The person was a 19-year-old female employee of Coco Vanilla Galactic Cantina, a Star Wars-themed restaurant, according to business owner Bradley Whalen. The teen was holding a prop plastic gun as part of her costume.

He said he’d asked his employee to wear the costume and wave to passersby because it was Star Wars Day. The date, May the 4th, is a pun on the film franchise slogan “may the force be with you.”

“We don’t have an issue with the fact that police responded,” said Whalen. “We have an issue with how they responded.”

A partial video of the arrest circulating on social media shows the employee with her hands up and on her knees while police have their guns drawn. Police can be heard yelling at her to get on the ground, although she does not immediately comply. Later the employee can be heard crying.

Whalen said officers continued to treat the woman aggressively, even after they had determined the weapon was a costume prop.

“You could tell by looking at it, even 10 feet away, that it was a plastic toy,” said Whalen.

He said the woman was handcuffed and forced to the ground, but was later released at the scene of the incident without charges.

On Tuesday, the Lethbridge Police Service issued a news release announcing an internal investigation into the incident.

“Upon reviewing the file and additional information, including video circulating on social media, Chief Scott Woods has directed a service investigation under the Alberta Police Act that will look into whether the officers acted appropriately within the scope of their training and LPS policies and procedures.”

The news release said the girl sustained a minor injury that didn’t require medical attention.

According to police, the employee did not comply with requests to get on the ground. Whalen finds that difficult to believe given her background.

“What a lot of people don’t understand is that this girl is in a criminal justice training program to be a police officer,” he said.

Whalen said the employee is taking a few days to recover from the stress of having guns pointed at her.

He said the incident has led to calls from media organizations across the U.S., and messages of support from as far away as Europe and New Zealand.

“Something has to happen,” said Whalen. “We have been contacted by lawyers who are wanting to help us.”

Lethbridge police say they won’t comment further on the incident until the investigation is complete.

brthomas@postmedia.com

8 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Hmmmm. Certainly seems like another one a database or ‘assault rifle’ ban could have stopped......

Legal guns are legal....but a weapon is always a weapon I guess?

For the record, I lol'd at the last statement.  Yes, guns are usually used in mass shootings

image.thumb.png.1f79e8d3e1ed3be71d83d7db1e7864b7.png

Edited by Warhippy