The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #47

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #47  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #47 Canuck of All-Time?

This poll is closed to new votes

McCarthy took home the vote this time, but there were a few others within striking distance. The nominations were largely a Clouter vs Sandlak battle and Cloutier took this one by just one nomination, so Dan Cloutier was added as a voting option to the poll.

Reminder to both vote and nominate another player to be added as a voting option!

For those of you who haven't seen these kinds of polls before, the way they work is you vote for who you think is the greatest/top Canuck at the position. As for what is meant by "Greatest" or "Top", I will leave that to each individual. I have my own interpretations, but others may define it differently. Worth noting, that I do want to keep this to their tenures with Vancouver and as players, thus a player like Neely would only be considered for his Vancouver time and guys like Quinn and Crawford would only be considered for their playing careers, not their coaching careers.

The List:

#1 - H. Sedin

#2 - D. Sedin

#3 - T. Linden

#4 - P. Bure

#5 - M. Naslund

#6 - S. Smyl

#7 - R. Luongo

#8 - K. McLean

#9 - T. Gradin

#10 - A. Edler

-------------------

#11 - T. Bertuzzi

#12 - M. Ohlund

#13 - R. Brodeur

#14 - A. Burrows

#15 - R. Kesler

#16 - H. Snepsts

#17 - T. Tanti

#18 - A. Mogilny

#19 - J. Lumme

#20 - S. Salo

-------------------

#21 - B. Morrison

#22 - A. Boudrias

#23 - D. Lidster

#24 - K. Bieksa

#25 - C. Ronning

#26 - D. Lever

#27 - D. Kearns

#28 - E. Jovanovski

#29 - P. Sundstrom

#30 - G. Adams

-------------------

#31 - O. Kurtenbach

#32 - P. Skriko

#33 - G. Courtnall

#34 - B. Horvat

#35 - T. Williams

#36 - D. Babych

#37 - G. Odjick

#38 - J. Hansen

#39 - D. Rota

#40 - C. Tanev

-------------------

#41 - G. Butcher

#42 - D. Ververgaert

#43 - D. Hamhuis

#44 - E. Pettersson

#45 - G. Smith

#46 - K. McCarthy

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Vote Lanz.

I should probably give up on nominating Sedlbauer, but...

Hey Hansen, Boeser, and Cloutier eventually got in.

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Hey Hansen, Boeser, and Cloutier eventually got in.

He's the only guy in the personal top 50 I made that hasn't been put up for voting, so I guess I have to stick to my guns.  But I've got some quality guys in the 51-60 range...Pederson probably at 51.  Reinhart, Blight, Tallon, Lalonde, Boldirev, etc...

• Vintage 1

Just now, Kevin Biestra said:

He's the only guy in the personal top 50 I made that hasn't been put up for voting, so I guess I have to stick to my guns.  But I've got some quality guys in the 51-60 range...Pederson probably at 51.  Reinhart, Blight, Tallon, Lalonde, Boldirev, etc...

Yeah, a lot of my guys have been up there, so all things considered, I think we've covered the bases pretty well from my perspective. Pedersen, Boldirev, and Markstrom are the only three in my top 50 not yet on the voting options. I suspect I'll be lucky if I get two of those in for the honourable mentions.

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Absolutely keep it up.  Overall I’m happy with the guys on the list mostly made it - and made peace with the fact a few won’t make it in.   Just hoping after Lanz Fraser, Oddliefson and especially  Murzyn given time served don’t get bumped out.....wonder what new or recent nomination will gain steam this time ... Erhoff?  Raymond?  Lappy? Ha ha ... or maybe JT Miller.  

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

McCarthy took home the vote this time, but there were a few others within striking distance. The nominations were largely a Clouter vs Sandlak battle and Cloutier took this one by just one nomination, so Dan Cloutier was added as a voting option to the poll.

I can die happy now.  ::D

Nominating Markstrom, because goalies gotta stick together.

• Cheers 3

39 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

I can die happy now.  ::D

Nominating Markstrom, because goalies gotta stick together.

I did not personally agree with you but I'm very glad that you brought so much passion!  That's exactly what is making this whole list fun for me.  Showing how much we love all the players from across the years has been great.

I've had some time to sit back and think about some of my own reactions in conversations.  I am realizing that my support of both the current roster and the 2011 team are connected.  After 2011 there were people everywhere saying that the Canucks would never do anything no matter what.  I heard people straight up saying that they'd never watch hockey again.  Essentially a lot of the amazing memories that we had built up were now being trashed.  Those sentiments remained for years.  While people weren't as loud about it, I still didn't feel "safe" bringing up the Canucks at the lunch table at work.   Those same "I'm never watching the Canucks again after 2011" people always come out of nowhere when you do.  

All of that started to change over the course of the last year or 2.  I started seeing Canucks hats at work.  I started to hear people asking things like "did you hear what Pettersson did last night?"  People were coming up to me over the last year saying "hey we're gonna get in this year aren't we?" So this modern core for me represents the kind of hope that we as a city have not felt since probably 2001 I would say.  They represent a future where I can enjoy talking about the team at work and cheer for them to win! (rather than tank lol)

Okay thanks for letting me rant about my self discovery lol.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Hey way to go Lanz!  I was afraid people were going to start writing in votes for Demko or something.

He's right there with McCarthy for me.  Really easy to convince me to vote for Lanz haha

39 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I did not personally agree with you but I'm very glad that you brought so much passion!  That's exactly what is making this whole list fun for me.  Showing how much we love all the players from across the years has been great.

I've had some time to sit back and think about some of my own reactions in conversations.  I am realizing that my support of both the current roster and the 2011 team are connected.  After 2011 there were people everywhere saying that the Canucks would never do anything no matter what.  I heard people straight up saying that they'd never watch hockey again.  Essentially a lot of the amazing memories that we had built up were now being trashed.  Those sentiments remained for years.  While people weren't as loud about it, I still didn't feel "safe" bringing up the Canucks at the lunch table at work.   Those same "I'm never watching the Canucks again after 2011" people always come out of nowhere when you do.  

All of that started to change over the course of the last year or 2.  I started seeing Canucks hats at work.  I started to hear people asking things like "did you hear what Pettersson did last night?"  People were coming up to me over the last year saying "hey we're gonna get in this year aren't we?" So this modern core for me represents the kind of hope that we as a city have not felt since probably 2001 I would say.  They represent a future where I can enjoy talking about the team at work and cheer for them to win! (rather than tank lol)

Okay thanks for letting me rant about my self discovery lol.

It's always been a somewhat fickle market.  A lot of the towel wavers of 82 weren't exactly filling the stands in the mid-to-late 80s before Trevor Linden showed up and did a Pettersson / Hughes on the fan base again.  Then everybody freaked out a bit from 89-90 to 90-91 when the Canucks were horrible in 89-90 and then the town gave up on Kirk McLean when Gamble was a little bit better than him for one year in 90-91.  Then they all had egg on their face from 92-94.

The only thing I couldn't watch and support was Messier and Keenan hollowing the team out like a pair of termites.  It was like watching an alcoholic relative or something, just a car going over a cliff in slow motion with no intention of turning the steering wheel in any other direction.

Much has been made about the return we got for Linden, but we got pennies on the dollar for everybody else.  McLean became Garth Snow and everyone else (Gelinas, Babych, Odjick, etc.) became basically nothing except Brad May.  Pavel Bure and Bret Hedican for Jovanovski in the final analysis.  I mean, I like Jovanovski but...

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1