The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks exploring possibility of trading Brock Boeser

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well that’s my point.

Our history of trades for D men has us overpaying for average defenseman.

If only every deal could be like the Ehrhoff one.

I trust Bennings hockey smarts and intentions and Know he will make a good trade for the Canucks moving forward

27 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Of course you do it.

Better question is do you trust Benning to hit one out of the park in a trade?

Sure he has a good streak of trades going, but he also has a history of bad ones.

Do you really feel comfortable rolling the dice with one of our core players to maybe land a top 2 defenseman? I don’t.

Pearson for Gudbranson was a great trade.   Never mind what we paid to get the later though.:lol:

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well that’s my point.

Our history of trades for D men has us overpaying for average defenseman.

If only every deal could be like the Ehrhoff one.

I believe we got Ehrhoff cheap because i recall Gillis saying he was watching teams cap situation and approached Sharks on him, Kinda what is a norm now, and teams looking at our situation knowing our leverage is poor

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The Demko for Dobson trade would at least have the potential of us coming out as big winners.

I don’t see that being the case with a Boeser trade. 

Uneducated statement, no one knows what the result may be in a trade involving Brock

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Has he committed to coming over here?

24 and still in Russia. But man look at those stats...

Yes.  He told his KHL team that he was going to the NHL and was confirmed by their president.  The team thanked both him and Kaprisov and wished them luck.  The league then changed the rules on new ELC signing where they were not going to allow them to sign for this season.  So he was then considering staying an additional year in the KHL because of that change instead of sitting out for that long.  He can now sign in that 53-hour window and join NYI for phase 3 and 4 but won't be allowed to play.   

1 minute ago, shazzam said:

They ain't going to be making the playoffs. It's not time for them to strike yet.

That's not how they see it.  If their vision is to make the playoffs their off-season moves will likely reflect their ambitions.

As much as I like what Jake Virtanen can bring, I would try to move him with a player like Sutter to shed some salary to try and retain Toffoli to solidify out top 6RW.

If Markstrom is signed then moving Demko would be a no brainer, would like to keep him but we have the exapnsion draft to think about. Demko and Stecher in a package for a late 1st?

The above 2 moves should allow us to retain Marky, Toff and Tanev. Hopefully we get 1 buyout and get rid of LoserSSon, but that might not happen so JB has to be creative this off season. He has had more time than he would normally ever have to accomplish it so I expect big things from GM JB this off season in regards to keeping who he believes we need to keep and getting rid of expensive players while packaging them with either Demko or Virtanen in order to do so.

If Jake is moved, depending on the team he goes to could see him having a very good NHL career. Compared to the massive weight on his shoulders he has been trying to play in his hometown. 

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

We’re a team on the rise yes.

So what age do you want your starting goalie to be when you’re ready to contend? 

As I said goalies over the age of 30 do not win the cup nearly as often as goalies age 22-28. Right around the age Demko will be when we’re hopefully ready to contend.

If we lock in Markstrom to a long term deal we’re basically saying goodbye to Demko. If the goal is to just be a playoff team that’s fine. If we want to build a cup contender you do that around younger goalies.

Demko should be given a split with a veteran on a short deal. It’s the only way we can build him into a starter. Hoping that Markstrom can lead us to the cup in the short window he’s still in his prime is not a great strategy. That’s how you end up with more overinflated contracts.

I totally agree, but I don't think JB is willing to take that gamble, his job is on the line and he needs to show the owners some level of success...even if it means barely being a playoff team while giving up assets to do so.

Marky at age 35...when Hughes and Petey  are mid 20s, doubt he can be an elite level goalie for 5years plus. Moving Demko eliminates the successor with good pedigree, Dipietro might be an NHL G down the road but if he ever becomes a legit #1 I would be shocked

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Me_ said:

#neverletitgo

Yes I like Pulock, 6'2, 25, solid D man, Islander could be a trade partner for sure...They need a winger to play with Barzal 23....

Buffalo need a young winger to play with there super star Jack Eichel... 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

43 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If NYI is willing to then yes you consider it. Pulock is the level of player you’d be hoping for.

That being said why would NYI trade their best defenseman for scoring when scoring isn’t their biggest issue? I just don’t see them creating a big hole in their depth for a winger.

If we’re going with Markstrom, then I’d rather see a Demko for Dobson level trade. More of a potential for potential type trade.

They may not, bit I expect he'd be a serious target.  Obviously the salaries would be a wash, and it wouldn't give much cap flexibility, but he would fill that #2-3 role perfectly. 

37 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

100%, In Benning I trust

Good on you for feeling that way but for me...No GM is going to make the right trades or signings but a GM on a team like the Canucks that clearly needed a tear down and full rebuild went about it in the least efficient way imo. Locked up many UFA players to expensive, long term NTC/NMC contracts. Did NOT trade players for picks for additional draft picks. 

Luckily, we drafted a couple very good players high in the draft, we have also "missed" on some high picks like OJ and Jake to a lesser extent. Other teams can find gems or NHL regulars in 2nd round onward, we have but very few imo. 

JB has been here long enough, luckily for him this off season will be extended by months giving him more time than he would normally get to try and figure out how he is going to keep this team together and competitive. He has to try and get LoserSSon to retire or cough something up to dump that salary. Being able to keep Toffoli would greatly help our top 6 for the next few years, but it won't come at a cheap price!

Good luck GM JB, your in tough...please don't trade Boeser, doesn't look like the coaches see Jake as a top 6 guy so maybe move him out as an asset vs paying him X amount to be cemented on the 3rd line. Also, might have to consider moving Pearson in the off season for a pick to just save that cap space. Good fit for us but we need to shed a good amount of cap and can't just dump all the useless players...that costs too much in high draft picks/Prospects

34 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Pearson for Gudbranson was a great trade.   Never mind what we paid to get the later though.:lol:

Well yea the first part of the equation is kind of the problem.

We’ve been pretty good acquiring forwards though.

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

But again it comes down to why NYI would be motivated to trade their best defenseman?

I don’t see how that makes them better. They’d be looking for us to overpay 

Outside of Barzal, they don't have a legitimate pure offensive forward.  I'm sure they'd love to see a Boeser/Barzal duo.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Uneducated statement, no one knows what the result may be in a trade involving Brock

Of course not, but I’m fairly certain that if you want a legit top 2 defenseman you’re gonna have to pay big.

Probably more than just Boeser straight across. How much more is up for debate.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Outside of Barzal, they don't have a legitimate pure offensive forward.  I'm sure they'd love to see a Boeser/Barzal duo.

And their top defenseman is then Toews or Leddy?

Their D core is too shallow to absorb a loss like that. I don’t see it happening.

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

And their top defenseman is then Toews or Leddy?

Their D core is too shallow to absorb a loss like that. I don’t see it happening.

Pelech, Toews, Dobson, and Wilde likely making the jump next year. Supported by vets Leddy, Hickey, and Boychuk for 2 more seasons.

They have a lot of depth. If any team could flirt with trading a young D like Pulock for a forward, it’s NYI.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Good on you for feeling that way but for me...No GM is going to make the right trades or signings but a GM on a team like the Canucks that clearly needed a tear down and full rebuild went about it in the least efficient way imo. Locked up many UFA players to expensive, long term NTC/NMC contracts. Did NOT trade players for picks for additional draft picks. 

Luckily, we drafted a couple very good players high in the draft, we have also "missed" on some high picks like OJ and Jake to a lesser extent. Other teams can find gems or NHL regulars in 2nd round onward, we have but very few imo. 

JB has been here long enough, luckily for him this off season will be extended by months giving him more time than he would normally get to try and figure out how he is going to keep this team together and competitive. He has to try and get LoserSSon to retire or cough something up to dump that salary. Being able to keep Toffoli would greatly help our top 6 for the next few years, but it won't come at a cheap price!

Good luck GM JB, your in tough...please don't trade Boeser, doesn't look like the coaches see Jake as a top 6 guy so maybe move him out as an asset vs paying him X amount to be cemented on the 3rd line. Also, might have to consider moving Pearson in the off season for a pick to just save that cap space. Good fit for us but we need to shed a good amount of cap and can't just dump all the useless players...that costs too much in high draft picks/Prospects

You sound bitter, too much content to answer all, I think I'll just pass on responding

Just now, D-Money said:

Pelech, Toews, Dobson, and Wilde likely making the jump next year. Supported by vets Leddy, Hickey, and Boychuk for 2 more seasons.

They have a lot of depth. If any team could flirt with trading a young D like Pulock for a forward, it’s NYI.

Wilde is still a prospect and not even performing at the AHL level. Dobson is still very young and unproven.

Pulock is their best D man. That’s a pretty sad list that I wouldn’t call a lot of depth.

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Of course not, but I’m fairly certain that if you want a legit top 2 defenseman you’re gonna have to pay big.

Probably more than just Boeser straight across. How much more is up for debate.

Of coarse there will be sweetners to add one way or the other. Its more about team needs, we need a top 4 d man and the Iles need a sniper to play with Barzal. If both teams can make it work I think we'd be better off in the long run