The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks exploring possibility of trading Brock Boeser

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

This. 

The recent comparables for Hughes would be the likes of Provorov and McAvoy. Neither of whom are anywhere near the dollars Stawns and others keep repeating/fearing. And both were pre-covid economy/cap stagnation. That's not going to do good things for player's contracts the next few years.

I'm interested to see what Barzal ends up signing for this summer as well, as that will give us some indication of what to expect for Pettersson. And like you, I think it's closer to $7-$8m.

Look at that, we just saved like $4m in cap space! :lol:

The comparables for Hughes won't be Provorov or McAvoy.  It'll be equal to or north of what Makar gets.  

Petey will be using Mathews and Marner as comparables, closer to Mathews

19 minutes ago, mll said:

Minnesota needs a C1 and not another winger.  Staal has 1 year left and has shown his age.  They are so desperate for top-6 Cs that they are playing Galchenyuk at C although all his previous teams gave up on him as a centre.

Everyone covering the team and the main insiders say that the Wild don't want to break up their D-corps but would be willing to if they can get a C1 in return.  

So all proponents of trading Brock need to do is find a team that will take Brock(+)? from the Canucks, trade a C1 to Minny and then Minny trades a D to the Canucks.

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

Unless Hughes starts becoming a finalist for the Norris trophy these next few years. I highly doubt he gets the estimated money everybody seem to think he will get. Ditto with Pettersson. 

My guess Hughes’ next contract is closer to 5-6M, while Pettersson’s will come at around 7-8M. By that time, Edler’s, Sutter’s, Pearson’s and possibly Myres’ contracts will be off the book. 

No chance they're getting Hughes at $5-6m if he continues to play this way 

6 minutes ago, gurn said:

So all proponents of trading Brock need to do is find a team that will take Brock(+)? from the Canucks, trade a C1 to Minny and then Minny trades a D to the Canucks.

Dumba is the D they would be willing to trade and he's not really the kind of D the Canucks need.  Dumba does well in Minnesota because he had Suter and now Brodin that can cover for him. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

No chance they're getting Hughes at $5-6m if he continues to play this way 

Could be between those numbers on a bridge deal, as Hughes is an RFA and also  not eligible for offer sheets from other teams

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, stawns said:

The comparables for Hughes won't be Provorov or McAvoy.  It'll be equal to or north of what Makar gets.  

Petey will be using Mathews and Marner as comparables, closer to Mathews

They're recent, top D, bridge contracts. I'm not talking play style, we're talking contracts.

Makar is due at the same time as Hughes, unless Makar signs ahead of Hughes, there's nothing to compare as far as contracts go.

Matthews signed pre-covid (also Toronto is/was ridiculous with their extensions). I'm sure his agent will mention Matthews but it won't remotely be the only factor or contact taken in to account.

14 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Thing is Hughes has zero rights in his next contract. We don't have to worry about an offer-sheet. What I see happening is a bridge deal like Boeser where his next qualifying offer will be a pretty good amount.

So a 5-6M 2-3 year deal with a 8M+ qualifying offer seems likely to me.

That's no longer an option in the new CBA.  

Under the new rules the qualifying offer is the lesser between the last salary and 120% of the AAV of the contract.  To have an 8M qualifying offer the AAV of the contract would have to be 6.67M.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, aGENT said:

They're recent, top D, bridge contracts. I'm not talking play style, we're talking contracts.

Makar is due at the same time as Hughes, unless Makar signs ahead of Hughes, there's nothing to compare as far as contracts go.

Matthews signed pre-covid (also Toronto is/was ridiculous with their extensions). I'm sure his agent will mention Matthews but it won't remotely be the only factor or contact taken in to account.

glasses GIF

Those are some purdy rose coloured glasses.  Right now I doubt anyone thinks Hughes or Makar wont be at a higher level than Provorov/McAvoy

1 minute ago, stawns said:

glasses GIF

Those are some purdy rose coloured glasses.  Right now I doubt anyone thinks Hughes or Makar wont be at a higher level than Provorov/McAvoy

Either you're overestimating Hughes/Makar, or underestimating Provorov/McAvoy

41 minutes ago, mll said:

That's no longer an option in the new CBA.  

Under the new rules the qualifying offer is the lesser between the last salary and 120% of the AAV of the contract.  To have an 8M qualifying offer the AAV of the contract would have to be 6.67M.

Still around my sort of ballpark.

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Would you trade Hughes or Makar straight up for McAvoy or Provorov right now?

Hughes and Makar both significantly out produced the career years of Provorov and McAvoy.  They also did it in a shortened season.

I'm interested to see your debate play out lol.

9 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Hughes and Makar both significantly out produced the career years of Provorov and McAvoy.  They also did it in a shortened season.

I'm interested to see your debate play out lol.

I'm not advocating a Boeser trade for a cap dump, but to use a position of strength (wingers) to reinforce an area of weakness (defense).  That said I don't think they'll be able to keep BB, QH and EP and still maintain balance in the lineup, so might as well move him while he's got good value

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

I'm not advocating a Boeser trade for a cap dump, but to use a position of strength (wingers) to reinforce an area of weakness (defense).  That said I don't think they'll be able to keep BB, QH and EP and still maintain balance in the lineup, so might as well move him while he's got good value

so how does bringing a young high calibre d man here (hopefully what they would get for BB) resolve future cap issues?  Top tier d men are just as expensive.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think I am somewhere in the middle.  I really don't want them to trade Brock but I DO think they should explore the option.  If some team is willing to seriously overpay then awesome.  

Personally I think the off-season is gonna get wild.  Quite a few teams in cap trouble aside from Vancouver.

43 minutes ago, stawns said:

Would you trade Hughes or Makar straight up for McAvoy or Provorov right now?

The former put up more offense but the latter are bigger/more physical and have better two way/complete games.

Would I trade them? Probably not... and they likely wouldn't either. But not because one's worth more than the other, but because if you trade a 'Hughes' for 'Provorov', you're just stuck looking for another 'Hughes' to play with the 'Provorov' you traded for (and vice versa).

If I had the luxury of two 'Hughes', I'd trade one for a Provorov in a heartbeat.

• Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, Baratheon said:

I think I am somewhere in the middle.  I really don't want them to trade Brock but I DO think they should explore the option.  If some team is willing to seriously overpay then awesome.  

Personally I think the off-season is gonna get wild.  Quite a few teams in cap trouble aside from Vancouver.

I agree, in no way do I want them to dump Boes.  He is the one chip that can change the entire dcorp in one move.  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

The former put up more offense but the latter are bigger/more physical and have better two way/complete games.

Would I trade them? Probably not... and they likely wouldn't either. But not because one's worth more than the other, but because if you trade a 'Hughes' for 'Provorov', you're just stuck looking for another 'Hughes' to play with the 'Provorov' you traded for (and vice versa).

If I had the luxury of two 'Hughes', I'd trade one for a Provorov in a heartbeat.

Speaking of two Hughes.........would anyone do a Boeser for JH deal?