The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Aug. 19, 2020 | Canucks lead series 3-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

I’m not sure.

I thought that just about any goal could be challenged. For example the goalie being interfered with, an offside call being missed, a high stick, the period ending, a ref whistelling down the play, the puck didn’t cross the plane of the goal, and the referee claiming that he was trying to whistle the play dead.....Seems like the play could have been challenged. 
But, since Berube didn’t say anything at the time, we would have to check the rule book,.

I’m a lazy sod. :P     Does anyone else know?

Nah. Berube saw the goal and thought to himself and said “hmmm excellent  goal, just like the four I scored my career year”

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

That is one chill Capybara....

Little known fact: The Capybara is the world's largest rodent. (Except for Brad Marchand)

One of my Friends Fiancé is a zookeeper for them. They are basically overgrown guinea pigs 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Me_ said:

Just can’t get that game 5 out of my head.

So good.

But a Game 6 without Myers AND Edler might hurt a lot.

I would assume that Juolevi comes in...

HUGHES- TANEV

FANTENBERG - BENN

JUOLEVI - STETCHER

As much as Benn is holding his own, it would be nice to be back to:

HUGHES - MYERS

TANEV - EDLER

FABTENBERG - STETCHER

As much as I think Stecher was better in the last game, I think Benn has shown that he belongs and I'd rather have his size against the Blues, in a scenario where all of our D are available...

A bit of a moot point though. I don't think Myers is coming back anytime soon.

• Vintage 2

12 hours ago, stawns said:

I played against Kamloops in Jr.  I ****ing hated Hitch.

Guess we are close in age ... did you hate playing against him because they played hard (great record that year) or because you hated him because he scared you with his look (you know the one that should be on lists that have to report to their neighbours)?  Even more importantly do you remember that young cocky punk star centre for Spokane and later Medicine Hat with the killer mullet and baby face who scored 60 goals and 128 points the season Hitch coached?  Chances are your path crossed Travis Green too. 

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

As much as I think Stecher was better in the last game, I think Benn has shown that he belongs and I'd rather have his size against the Blues, in a scenario where all of our D are available...

A bit of a moot point though. I don't think Myers is coming back anytime soon.

Benn coming in cold and playing his best hockey of the year says a little bit about the guy JB signed last year.   At the time I loved that deal, thought it was a great depth signing kind of a middle six D if that makes sense, and out of all the guys he did signed figured he’d be the one to easily perform at or above his cap hit.   Both Fatenburg and Benn had a great game all considered.  I’m sure Edler will be back tonight but it’s good to know things aren’t necessarily in the crapper if either he goes down again. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Had to chuckle a bit after Benn more or less spilled the beans on Edler's availability for game six.......Travis usually likes to play the "game time decision" card, to keep the opposition guessing....

Knowing that Benn had already messed that up for him, he offered this: “I’ll check in with Benner to make sure that he’s in or out.”

I also liked Ian McIntyre's description of Quinn Hughes: Hughes is playing like the best defenceman in the world even if it looks like his playoff beard won’t be finished until 2028.

Lol.   “I’ll check in with Benner....”. Hilarious dry wit.   My favourite.   Using his middle finger to rub his eyeball...TG is no KB but he’s had some zingers. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Bert & Jovo on 650 right now with their take on the game tonight.....

Bert loved Gaud's energy...said with that kind of depth/youth LOOK OUT.

Soooo good.. lol the Bert and Jovo show   ::D it was fun to hear them both on at the same time and praising  our current team and their chances not just for this year but for years to come.:towel:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, oldnews said:

Exactly.

The problem with Torts imo - is that he had that hard-headed, cookie cutter determination to one-size fits all.   Has he developed more nuance since?  Maybe -probably not lol -  but for me, things like trying to make penalty killers of the Sedins was signature of his limits.  He is what he is.  He can't be bothered with the 'touchy feely' or whatever he wants to call it - but the problem then becomes that you have to populate your lineup with players the fit him.  Otherwise you wind up with internal standoffs (ie as he had with Foligno, Hartnell...and probably a handful of others.  Maybe the CBJ have moved beyond that, but it seemed to cost them, possibly years.   I don't mind Torts, have a soft spot for him on some levels - but Keenan was similar, and I never managed to like him one iota.

You don't see Green managing Pettersson the same way he manages Virtanen.  For obvious reasons.  And interestingly, Green still manages to get through to players like Virtanen - to the point that Virtanen not only recognizes that his ice time depends on himself, but that Green is correct in assessing it as he does.  The article posted earlier in this thread contains some interesting, candid admissions by Virtanen, that I think make him that much more promising of a young player, recognizing his own limits and need for some tough guidance.  Green still manages to effect that, without the ballbusting - which I respect and appreciate.  I'm glad he's behind the bench of this team - he really seems to manage to get the most out of his lineup, top to bottom.  I think AV probably has a similar skillset.

Is Torts that unique? Many teams have an identity that seems to transcend their coaches. Boston and Philly come to mind. On a individual basis many coaches have built their teams with particular characteristics. Trots comes to mind as one of the best ever. Look at the buy in he has got on the NYI, particularly Barzal. I like the Islanders to come out of the East. 

• Vintage 1