The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

6 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

10 years of Demko or 3-4 good years from Marky. That’s the question you gotta ask your self if you trade Demko 

I think we would all rather Demko for 10, however, with DiPietro in the wings it is a good succession plan to go with Marky for 3-4 then pass on to DiPietro, esspecially if giving up Demko means getting OEL while getting rid of bad contracts. 

3 minutes ago, Millerdraft said:

Didn’t Demko fall to the second round because he had some hip issues leading up to the draft?  There is some risk there regarding whether or not his body will hold up with a heavy workload.  Watching what happened to Cory Schneider when he tried to play through hip injuries was sad.  Not to say the same thing will happen but it is something to consider as they choose between Markstrom and Demko

No, that’s usually where good goaltenders get taken. Hip injuries happen to most goalies though, you’re right. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, CanuckGAME said:

So you let the sure thing walk because the young kid Projects to be better?

Thats a terrible decision,  especially with the goaltending position.

Again.  Demko could be great,  but Markstrom has already proven he is capable of being THE guy to carry this team as the #1.

I want both of them for another couple years. You trade Demko, go with Marky, Mikey doesn’t turn out and all of sudden you are Calgary looking at everyone’s else’s goaltending year in and year out 

1 minute ago, CanuckGAME said:

So you let the sure thing walk because the young kid Projects to be better?

Thats a terrible decision,  especially with the goaltending position.

Again.  Demko could be great,  but Markstrom has already proven he is capable of being THE guy to carry this team as the #1.

No he hasn't. He doesn't even have a full year of being a solid number 1 under his belt and his playoff performance was not stellar it was hit or miss. Demko in the 3 games he played in the playoffs was light years better than any game Markstrom played in the playoffs. Markstrom isn't an established number 1 like Luongo, or Miller was in the past. He has just emerged and really as people pointed out with Demko he could be getting exposed which from what I saw his glove hand was exposed in the playoffs. 

11 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

10 years of Demko or 3-4 good years from Marky. That’s the question you gotta ask your self if you trade Demko 

I think its alot harder than that. You will definetly get 3-4 good years with Marky but 10 years of Demko? What are you getting from him? Do we really know? Not saying he won't be a great goalie but again, it's foolish to say Demko is a legit #1 right now at least let alone get expecting 10 years from him.

Edited by HOFsedins

Just now, Devron44 said:

I want both of them for another couple years. You trade Demko, go with Marky, Mikey doesn’t turn out and all of sudden you are Calgary looking at everyone’s else’s goaltending year in and year out 

Yeah that would be nice and all to have both for a cpl years but if we have both by next off-season Seattle will 100% poach Demko and well lose him for nothing.

1 minute ago, peaches5 said:

No he hasn't. He doesn't even have a full year of being a solid number 1 under his belt and his playoff performance was not stellar it was hit or miss. Demko in the 3 games he played in the playoffs was light years better than any game Markstrom played in the playoffs. Markstrom isn't an established number 1 like Luongo, or Miller was in the past. He has just emerged and really as people pointed out with Demko he could be getting exposed which from what I saw his glove hand was exposed in the playoffs. 

Stopped reading after you said he barely has a full year of being a solid #1.

Go watch some games before you spout off this verbal diarrhea.

• Cheers 1

marky will pull a Sedin and sign on the dotted line after he rakes every last item he wants from GM JB...I sure hope that is NOT the case tho!!

Move on from a soon to be 31yr old G who had 2 stints of being injured last year at very inopportune times...

Go with the younger G and don't be tied down to a long term deal to a G over the age of 30... We may take a small step back but we don't want to lose a younger G asset or be stuck with a bad contract you can't move in an old G. NYR had to buyout the King, Quick is a shell of his former self...Price is not going to be worth his contract neither will Bobrovsky.

Pay your players when they are young...let them walk and get overpaid $/term/NMC/NTC wise via FA...Canucks should be more than aware of the FA buyer beware/regret 

They are leaving themselves no time to explore alternatives.  I am trying to mentally prepare for basically nothing happening.

If they aren’t in the ballpark for Markstrom, why not trade his rights before the weekend.  Detroit is apparently hot and heavy for him, so you have them take on a little cap dump like Baertschi  and get Markstrom's rights in exchange for a late pick.  Or give us a pick straight up for a week of exclusive negotiating with Markstrom.

The OEL thing should have been put to bed before the RFA qualifying deadline.  Paralyzing all your decision making for one deal that is someone else chasing us is a recipe for wasting time.

If we think there are just better deals out there for lesser players, all of our UFAs should have had rights traded for picks.  The reports are that Toffoli and Tanev haven’t even received offers, try to extract some value for their rights if that is the case.  We happen to have 3 of the top UFAs on the market, there should be some value to teams wanting to get an advantage with an exclusive negotiating window.

Just now, HOFsedins said:

I think its alot harder than that. You will definetly get 3-4 good years with Marky but 10 years of Demko? What are you getting from him? Do we really know? Not saying he won't be a great goalie but again, it's foolish to say Demko is a legit #1 right now at least.

Never said he was a legit number one. If you read the comments. I’ve suggested both goalies. You don’t just trade Demko in hopes to sign Marky for one. And 2 it’s a projection. In all honestly none of us now a damn thing. It’s just what players are projected to be and maybe just maybe we’d be trading a franchise goalie away for a few years of a “sure thing” then that’s no good 

9 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Stopped reading after you said he barely has a full year of being a solid #1.

Go watch some games before you spout off this verbal diarrhea.

He was injured this year to end the season and in the playoffs. Last year he started off pretty poorly and the second half of the year is when he looked good. Where is the full season of stellar play you speak of? He hasn't had one complete season like Luongo or Miller... number 1 goalies who were established number 1's in both playoffs and regular season. 

That is not Markstrom. The league has only just recognized him as a true number 1 and in his first playoffs his glove was exposed pretty badly.

16 minutes ago, Tower102 said:

I think we would all rather Demko for 10, however, with DiPietro in the wings it is a good succession plan to go with Marky for 3-4 then pass on to DiPietro, esspecially if giving up Demko means getting OEL while getting rid of bad contracts. 

I wouldn’t do it. I’d move on. Our bad contract aren’t long. 1-2 years left on all of them. If it can helps us without trading Demko I’m in. I want OEL but not for the price of Demko

Edited by Devron44

7 minutes ago, KKnight said:

If Benning loses all three and overpays in the trade, he has to go. This offseason is critical. Team just starts getting better and you lose everyone. I really think Toffoli should have been top priority. Benning should have made the yotes sweat it out and give them a firm deadline of this afternoon. Instead were sitting here twiddling our thumbs.

I dont know why this is so hard to understand, this year is crucial to making sure we don't follow the path of the 2015 Flames. Not only that but if they can't make a deep run in the playoffs you've just wasted a prime contender ship year with Hughes and Petey on an ELC. 

6 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

I dont know why this is so hard to understand, this year is crucial to making sure we don't follow the path of the 2015 Flames. Not only that but if they can't make a deep run in the playoffs you've just wasted a prime contender ship year with Hughes and Petey on an ELC. 

So it’s all in this year hey. Hopefully the pandemic doesn’t take the NHL out 

24 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Yeah that would be nice and all to have both for a cpl years but if we have both by next off-season Seattle will 100% poach Demko and well lose him for nothing.

I’m sure they will too but at least we’d see Demko play another year if Marky signs and if we a comfortable at that time maybe make a trade. I don’t know but JB clearly said he wants 2 good goalies so I guess we’ll see how it plays out 

17 minutes ago, Provost said:

They are leaving themselves no time to explore alternatives.  I am trying to mentally prepare for basically nothing happening.

If they aren’t in the ballpark for Markstrom, why not trade his rights before the weekend.  Detroit is apparently hot and heavy for him, so you have them take on a little cap dump like Baertschi  and get Markstrom's rights in exchange for a late pick.  Or give us a pick straight up for a week of exclusive negotiating with Markstrom.

The OEL thing should have been put to bed before the RFA qualifying deadline.  Paralyzing all your decision making for one deal that is someone else chasing us is a recipe for wasting time.

If we think there are just better deals out there for lesser players, all of our UFAs should have had rights traded for picks.  The reports are that Toffoli and Tanev haven’t even received offers, try to extract some value for their rights if that is the case.  We happen to have 3 of the top UFAs on the market, there should be some value to teams wanting to get an advantage with an exclusive negotiating window.

It would have been nice to trade some players rights for picks...but it barely happened this off season due to the flat cap. They must be close in terms of a new deal for Marky, but why they can't cross that finish line is beyond me. Its quite simple you have your offer and if your true to your word and want to have a 2 G tandem with Demko you CANT give Marky a NMC. 

Plus, Marky doesn't even deserve a NMC. Has he been a good G for us the last 2 years...yes. Do we have a $&!# D core yes! Has Marky won Vezina's or multiple rounds in the playoffs for us...NOPE!

Great guy, good story of how he kept with it after being a bust of a 1st round pick in FLorida, got passed over by 29 teams on waivers and with the help of Ian Clark he has transformed his game to be a good NHL G. If I was him, you have to look at the big picture...something like what Ray Ferraro said today on radio, players dont often get to test the waters as a UFA and when you do you target good teams to a degree but ALSO the best $$$ contract wise as well. Marky has less than 10 years of making $ as a G obviously with this contract being his 1 chance at a big payday...Congrats Marky you deserve it but unfortunately we are a very young team and when are ELITE players are 25 we can't have a 36 yr old G between the pipes basically at the end of his career.

Move on, trek on and it might mean a slight setback next year but we can't cap strap ourselves to another bad contract and walk away from Demko as a potential future long term G option for us.

OEL please go to Boston after Krug signs elsewhere. Canucks need to stay the course for 2 more years to get rid of all the BAD CONTRACTS, not add more contracts with much longer term

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

So it’s all in this year hey. Hopefully the pandemic doesn’t take the NHL out 

What’s so hard to understand about the fact that you should probably go for it in the one last year when you pay Hughes and Pettersson less than 2M combined, and should theoretically have the space to maximize the potential of the rest of the roster. 

Vs any other year when the two alone will make close to if not more than 20M. 

Doesn’t mean they won’t come close to winning again, but look how close the oilers have gotten once they’ve paid the art Ross winner and the best player in the game.