The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Certainly a possibility as well...I think he's played there with Edler internationally.

I just think given the style Hughes plays, he'd easily be able to adapt to his 'off' side (and was quoted as producing more offense there). 'Rover' by definition isn't really side dependant :lol:

Besides, if OEL is more the defensive 'safety'/ 2 way guy on that pair, it probably matters more to have him on the better defensively side of the ice.

Either way, it would be a nice 'problem' for the coaches to sort out.

Reason why'd I like to have Tanev and OEL is because both Hughes/OEL could play with a steady defensive partner in Edler/Tanev. Pairings that can play 20+ each.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Certainly a possibility as well...I think he's played there with Edler internationally.

I just think given the style Hughes plays, he'd easily be able to adapt to his 'off' side (and was quoted as producing more offense there).

offense is not the concern - it's him on his offside, down low, in his 'off side' corner - that I do not like about the option - at all - where he's both back to the play and reversed to the transition... not something I would 'plan' to do when I think there 'should' be a priority made to avoid that.

5 minutes ago, Barry_Wilkins said:

Bill Armstrong is like that faithful employee who everyone notices, but his career path up that particular company's ladder is blocked by all the established personnel in place. So he gets a higher position with a, er .... "challenging" upstart company, and as soon as he enters his spacious new office with all his assistants hovering nearby, various multi-layer poo-storms explode all around him.

He's probably overwhelmed with how to work this all out. It's his first gig as head honcho. Imagine the knock to his pride to have to start out with a stinker of a trade.

My guess? He'll wait to the last minute, hold his nose, and take the best offer from whatever's been on the table for a while.

Oh, and don't fall for any marketing -type lies, JB. Here's Armstrong's high-powered BS from his job acceptance release:

"We have great ownership that is committed to winning, a very good core group of young, talented players, and a passionate fan base. I'm excited about our future and the opportunity to build this team into a perennial playoff contender."

:huh:

they may have opted for a Dale Tallon instead - as interim - whatever people might think of him (I don't know the truth about the rumours about him) but strictly as a GM - he does not hesitate to do what has to be done - he does not have an aversion to taking a necessary loss.

Perhaps it would have made sense to let an interim guy come in, rip it up and take the shizzstorm - and then let an Armstrong ride in on his white horse afterwards.

Otherwise - could not agree with you more - what an ugly set of circumstances to step into....at least no one is paying attention in Arizona....The Cardinals are 2-2 - I'd recomend cutting this deal right after their next victory lol.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If we did manage to keep Tanev we'd have a killer top 4.

Edler-Hughes

OEL-Tanev

OJ-Myers

Would require a ship out of Eriksson, Sutter, Virtanen, Stecher and one of Benn/Baertschi. Could be done if that happens and if Tanev takes a discount. Otherwise sign Stecher or try to find a top 6 upgrade.

That is as solid a D corps as we've ever had.  Not sure who would have  better in the NHL currently, but we'd be top 5 I'd have to think.  Elite goaltending and one f the best top 6 in the league to go along with it.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

offense is not the concern - it's him on his offside, down low, in his 'off side' corner - that I do not like about the option - at all - where he's both back to the play and reversed to the transition... not something I would 'plan' to do when I think there 'should' be a priority made to avoid that.

To be honest I think you distribute them and play both top pairings more, leaving the third pairing down a few mins other than the special teams needs.  Most of the game, you are either facing OEL or Hughes.

Ekman-Larsson Myers

Hughes Tanev

Edler Stecher/Fantenburg etc

Next year Edler signs for a discount or leaves (Likely discount) and Tryamkin comes over to pair with him and jump up the lineup as needed.

12 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If we did manage to keep Tanev we'd have a killer top 4.

Edler-Hughes

OEL-Tanev

OJ-Myers

Would require a ship out of Eriksson, Sutter, Virtanen, Stecher and one of Benn/Baertschi. Could be done if that happens and if Tanev takes a discount. Otherwise sign Stecher or try to find a top 6 upgrade.

I don't understand why you'd re-sign Tanev - and then not pair him with Hughes, in favour of Edler, with Hughes on his off side.

Doesn't matter - perhaps you point is just to illustrate the quality of that group and not necessarily a formation, but I'd think the point of retaining Tanev would be in large part to keep him with Hughes. I personally would do what is necessary to make that happen, regardless of the OEL deal.

Just now, BCNate said:

That is as solid a D corps as we've ever had.  Not sure who would have  better in the NHL currently, but we'd be top 5 I'd have to think.  Elite goaltending and one f the best top 6 in the league to go along with it.

Eh maybe top 10. Top 5 would be dependent of how well OJ and the 3rd pairing does. If he can prove to play over 16 minutes, more than what Benn/Stecher/Fanta play, reliably and well than we have a good 3rd pairing.

1 minute ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

To be honest I think you distribute them and play both top pairings more, leaving the third pairing down a few mins other than the special teams needs.  Most of the game, you are either facing OEL or Hughes.

Ekman-Larsson Myers

Hughes Tanev

Edler Stecher/Fantenburg etc

Next year Edler signs for a discount or leaves (Likely discount) and Tryamkin comes over to pair with him and jump up the lineup as needed.

I like the idea of Edler and OEL pairing separate of Hughes...

Those two pairings could handle any type of minutes - probably win the possession battle regardless and produce excellent conditions for Hughes to produce and do his thing....

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I don't understand why you'd re-sign Tanev - and then not pair him with Hughes, in favour of Edler, with Hughes on his off side.

Doesn't matter - perhaps you point is just to illustrate the quality of that group and not necessarily a formation, but I'd think the point of retaining Tanev would be in large part to keep him with Hughes. I personally would do what is necessary to make that happen, regardless of the OEL deal.

TBH I feel Hughes is gonna do a lot better on his off-side than OEL.

Both Edler and Tanev have that smoothness and poise to their game hence why I feel Hughes would do just as well with Edler as he was with Tanev. Hell, he might be able to get more offense out of Edler than he did with Tanev.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I like the idea of Edler and OEL pairing separate of Hughes...

Those two pairings could handle any type of minutes - probably win the possession battle regardless and produce excellent conditions for Hughes to produce and do his thing....

Definitely true.  I was just hoping to keep our stars on their correct sides.  Edler OEL in concept would be good as Edler can play a bit more straightforward game and not try and do too much.  That's when he's at his best.  Either way lots of options, so we just need some news soon!

• Cheers 1

Just now, Kobayashi Maru said:

Definitely true.  I was just hoping to keep our stars on their correct sides.  Edler OEL in concept would be good as Edler can play a bit more straightforward game and not try and do too much.  That's when he's at his best.  Either way lots of options, so we just need some news soon!

Yep - we've worked it all out here GMJB - you can go ahead and complete the lowball now.....:ph34r:

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Eh maybe top 10. Top 5 would be dependent of how well OJ and the 3rd pairing does. If he can prove to play over 16 minutes, more than what Benn/Stecher/Fanta play, reliably and well than we have a good 3rd pairing.

Myers in a sheltered role for 15 mins per night would be outstanding.  Pair him with Tryamkin for the playoffs!:bigblush:

Ekman-Larsson - Hughes

Edler - Myers

Juolevi - ??

That's a pretty great Top 4, and D wins championships. 

Sounds like ARI really wants Demko, but apparently it's a non-starter with Benning. Should Benning trade Demko and sign Lundqvist (cheap) to back up Markstrom for a year? King Henrik just wants to win, he doesn't need anymore money. They could always sign another reasonable UFA goalie in 2021/22, until DiPietro arrives.

to ARI - Demko, Eriksson, Sutter and Virtanen

to VAN - Ekman-Larsson and 2nd

Not sure I would actually really want this, just another option. 

7 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Myers in a sheltered role for 15 mins per night would be outstanding.  Pair him with Tryamkin for the playoffs!:bigblush:

Myers will probably never play that many minutes, maybe 15-16 even-strength minutes. He'd still be a pretty significant PKer even with OEL, being a mountain definitely helps him in that regard.

He probably wouldn't be playing 21:30 he played this year though. I imagine OEL or OJ takes him off the #2 PP and he averages around 18-20 minutes depending how much we're on the PK.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

5 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Myers does not need to be 'sheltered' - ie he's a second unit penalty  killer for example - he doesn't need inflated ozone starts or a partner to protect him.

The only players on the roster that do - are Gaudette - and to a lesser extent, Hughes.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 3

10 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Myers does not need to be 'sheltered' - ie he's a second unit penalty  killer for example - he doesn't need inflated ozone starts or a partner to protect him.

The only players on the roster that do - are Gaudette - and to a lesser extent, Hughes.

Never said he had to be sheltered.  His match ups would naturally be sheltered if he was on the third pair behind that top 4.

• Wat 2

16 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Myers will probably never play that many minutes, maybe 15-16 even-strength minutes. He'd still be a pretty significant PKer even with OEL, being a mountain definitely helps him in that regard.

He probably wouldn't be playing 21:30 he played this year though. I imagine OEL or OJ takes him off the #2 PP and he averages around 18-20 minutes depending how much we're on the PK.

Point being is that Myers plays a smaller role that maximizes his strengths.

Just now, BCNate said:

Point being is that Myers plays a smaller role that maximizes his strengths.

Overall I feel like we wouldn't have to overplay anyone which would benefit the whole D-core. Decreases the risk of injury and fatigue over time.

And when push comes to shove, come the playoffs, the top 4 will be better prepared. 

It is similar to keeping your goalies fresh over time so that you can rely on them when it matters.

• Cheers 1