The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blues trade Jake Allen, 2022 7th-round pick to Canadiens for 2020, 3rd-round pick, 2020 7th-round pick

1 minute ago, Master Mind said:

It helps Price, but it's a stretch to say Allen dramatically improves their team.

Montreal missed the playoffs by 1 point last year.  This year their backups won a combined 4 games.  Having Price play 65+ games drastically effects his effectiveness.  He showed during the playoffs how much better he is when he’s rested. Having a great backup means not only more starts and wins by the backup, but a much better Price in the games he plays.  This move could easily be the difference between playoffs or no playoffs 

3 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Sorry I looked at it wrong.  Still makes it tough to make improvements.  I don't think any other team has anywhere near that much alotted to the goaltending position.  Only 1 can play at a time so you are paying $15 for a goalie.

For 1 season.  During that season they remain competitive (allowing Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Romanov ect) to develop in a good environment.  In a year they’ll have Primeau ready to step into the backup position and they’ll have the cap space to use elsewhere 

Just now, qwijibo said:

For 1 season.  During that season they remain competitive (allowing Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Romanov ect) to develop in a good environment.  In a year they’ll have Primeau ready to step into the backup position and they’ll have the cap space to use elsewhere 

I get that it is 1 season, but they showed some progress and now will have shackles on.  I would have looked for a cheaper option if I were them.

1 minute ago, Dixon Ward said:

I get that it is 1 season, but they showed some progress and now will have shackles on.  I would have looked for a cheaper option if I were them.

Who?  If you go UFA you’re unlikely to get anyone cheaper for 1 year.  They’ve gone through a list of bargain backups over the last several years and none have been the solution.  So who is this cheaper 1 year option? 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Shackles?

They still have $14M of cap space for next season, with only Domi and Mete needing extensions (and there are rumours that they may trade Domi). They’ll have plenty of space to pursue whatever else they need.

It would have been hard for Montreal to find a quality UFA willing to sign for 1 year to play behind Price. And the 1-year deal is key, both to keep it open for Primeau, and also because they have a lot of big contract decisions after next season (Gallagher, Petry, Kotkaniemi...). This deal makes a lot of sense for the Habs.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Sorry I looked at it wrong.  Still makes it tough to make improvements.  I don't think any other team has anywhere near that much alotted to the goaltending position.  Only 1 can play at a time so you are paying $15 for a goalie.

It buys a year of development for Cayden Primeau.  Also they have several players to extend in a year - it blocks cap space.  

When Montreal was in Vancouver this season Bergevin talked of how they are still in a rebuild.  Their young players are going to continue to improve and take on increased roles and start to need less sheltering.  Bergevin and Molson keep on insisting there's a plan.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

That is a lot of money tied up in goaltending for Montreal.

It also shows how cheap it would be to get a solid veteran to play alongside Demko IF Markstrom’s contract demands are just too much.

thats what I was thinking. almost 15 mil in goalies... whoa. But they should be set quite nicely for next year.

14 mil left to improve that F group, which really needs it particularly if Domi is soured on being there. 

12 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Shackles?

They still have $14M of cap space for next season, with only Domi and Mete needing extensions (and there are rumours that they may trade Domi). They’ll have plenty of space to pursue whatever else they need.

It would have been hard for Montreal to find a quality UFA willing to sign for 1 year to play behind Price. And the 1-year deal is key, both to keep it open for Primeau, and also because they have a lot of big contract decisions after next season (Gallagher, Petry, Kotkaniemi...). This deal makes a lot of sense for the Habs.

they will, but its not a desirable destination for elite UFAs. I'm sure they'll find good talent tho, or trade for it. 

32 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Montreal missed the playoffs by 1 point last year.  This year their backups won a combined 4 games.  Having Price play 65+ games drastically effects his effectiveness.  He showed during the playoffs how much better he is when he’s rested. Having a great backup means not only more starts and wins by the backup, but a much better Price in the games he plays.  This move could easily be the difference between playoffs or no playoffs 

That was last year. Reality is Montreal was 24th overall this year.

To expect a backup goalie improvement to make that much of an impact is wishful thinking.

Sounds very similar to the Leafs media blaming their shortcomings on their backup...

1 minute ago, Master Mind said:

To expect a backup goalie improvement to make that much of an impact is wishful thinking.

Sounds very similar to the Leafs media blaming their shortcomings on their backup...

Montreal had a barrage of injuries to their forwards this year. At one point they had 3 of the top 6 and 4 of the top 9 out.  Every team desks with injuries but Montreal didn’t have the depth to deal with it. They’re much closer to the 96 point team than what they showed this season 

2 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

it is a nice duo for sure, but at 15 mil its going to cost them one, maybe two, quality players elsewhere. Those ELCs are going to have to be very prominent next year. 

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Montreal had a barrage of injuries to their forwards this year. At one point they had 3 of the top 6 and 4 of the top 9 out.  Every team desks with injuries but Montreal didn’t have the depth to deal with it. They’re much closer to the 96 point team than what they showed this season 

3 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

it is a nice duo for sure, but at 15 mil its going to cost them one, maybe two, quality players elsewhere. Those ELCs are going to have to be very prominent next year. 

Which is why IMO they'd be better off spending that cap space to improve their depth at other positions.

Would also make life easier for the backup whether that be Lindgren, Primeau, or someone else.

4 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Which is why IMO they'd be better off spending that cap space to improve their depth at other positions.

Would also make life easier for the backup whether that be Lindgren, Primeau, or someone else.

Once again. Their  backups played 14 games this year and won 4 of them. Price was forced to play way more games than he should have.  They still have cap space And a crap load of picks to address the weakness at F. This move improves the team.  Even the usually negative Montreal press is pretty much universally endorsing this trade as a great move 

Edited by qwijibo
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

5 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Once again. Their  backups played 14 games this year and won 4 of them. Price was forced to play way more games than he should have.  They still have cap space And a crap load of picks to address the weakness at F. This move improves the team.  Even the usually negative Montreal press is pretty much universally endorsing this trade as a great move 

Allen does seem like a bit of a pricey answer to the backup problem tho, if we're being objective here. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Robert Long said:

Allen does seem like a bit of a pricey answer to the backup problem tho, if we're being objective here. 

It’s one season.  Montreal hasn’t spent to the cap in 3 years.  So what does it matter? Yes. It’s a pricy tandem for a year.  But if that money wasn’t being spent anyway then it’s a great investment 

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Right, but if those backups had a deeper team in front of them, maybe they win a few more games, and ultimately play more games so Price can rest a little more.

If they address other areas, then good for them. So far most Habs fans I know think Allen is too expensive for someone stuck behind Price, when the team in front of him could use some help.

Just now, Master Mind said:

Right, but if those backups had a deeper team in front of them, maybe they win a few more games, and ultimately play more games so Price can rest a little more.

If they address other areas, then good for them. So far most Habs fans I know think Allen is too expensive for someone stuck behind Price, when the team in front of him could use some help.

It’s not one or the other though.  They still have the cap space and the assets to improve the forward corps