The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Yep.

Id be good with trading the pick for Reinhart.

You know he’s a capable top 6 that can help this current core in their prime.

The player we get at 9 might not help for another 4 or 5 years if at all.

I have a strong feeling Benning tries to move up into the top 3 or trades the pick.

Good points DeNiro.  He's right in the age range that JB likes and is very flexible in C and LW abilities.  He's had to fill in for Eichel enough times and has held his own. Unfortunately he will likely want more $ than the Canucks should pay.  Under 6 would be ok, but I think he wants ++more.

If Benning can create a situation where he can move to top 3, he would definitely get a player that can play in the coming season or the following one.

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

Good points DeNiro.  He's right in the age range that JB likes and is very flexible in C and LW abilities.  He's had to fill in for Eichel enough times and has held his own. Unfortunately he will likely want more $ than the Canucks should pay.  Under 6 would be ok, but I think he wants ++more.

If Benning can create a situation where he can move to top 3, he would definitely get a player that can play in the coming season or the following one.

I think we’re better to wait for his UFA status.  We would likely need to move Boeser or Miller in a trade to make cap room.  Get a 1st and a high end prospect from a contender at the trade deadline and sign Reinhart in the summer.  Benning likely won’t sacrifice the playoffs if the Canucks are close so maybe it’s a draft day or summer deal?

3 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

I think we’re better to wait for his UFA status.  We would likely need to move Boeser or Miller in a trade to make cap room.  Get a 1st and a high end prospect from a contender at the trade deadline and sign Reinhart in the summer.  Benning likely won’t sacrifice the playoffs if the Canucks are close so maybe it’s a draft day or summer deal?

If it comes to that, I would hate to see Boes or JT traded for cap space.  I think things will be adjusted so that our cap space ends up looking a lot better than right now.  If they can do that, then go ahead and pick up Reinhart.  I don't think they do anything until it is apparent what the cap space will end up looking like.

29 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Reinhart won’t be a UFA next summer.

If Buffalo does trade him the team trading for him will sign him long term and you’ll never get him as a UFA.

5 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I'd be more than happy with one of Lysell or McTavish.

After the season VAN had? Not me.

They need one of the big guns (Power, Edvinsson, Hughes, Clarke, Beniers, Eklund)

27 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Haha you and I are going different directions.

That Pass from Tuomaala back door to Salminen against the Suisse wow!

https://www.facebook.com/iihfhockey/videos/763657261008077/?t=0

Tuomaala drawing literally the entire USA team to him working it to the point for the pass to Koivunen who could build a house on that acreage before anyone got to him.

Salminen predictably winning yet another draw against Svechkov rushing up ice and finishing this off out of mid air while down 6-3 was a huge momentum changing goal. 

Heimosalmi Vert de ferk! Thats a slippery Salmi.

Um did I say slippery Salmi... The moves on this kid to give Koivunen the tap in.

Yeah, there are flashes of brilliance from Tuomaala for sure. But after my first couple viewings I was so awestruck that I thought he might be top 15 or 20, up in Chibrikov, Johnson, Lysell skill territory. But I dunno, I'd like to see him bring that skill more consistently. Maybe I'm a hypocrite since I'm always critical of guys Johnson or Perfetti when they rely on their skill too much vs. playing within a team concept. Likely a big part of it is just the Finnish national team's philosophy - defense first, play as a team, responsible with the puck, but I saw him dump it in or make pure possession plays (plays with the sole intention of extending OZ possession) rather than offensive plays (plays with the intention of leading directly to scoring chances). I wanted to see him use his skill and attack defenders more, show some confidence, the belief that he can make something out of nothing. Would be great to see more of him with his club team, but there's only the one shift-by-shift available. Maybe he could go as early as low 20s, but I'd be pretty surprised with any earlier than that. Could be the biggest "hidden gem" potential of the first round though.

45 minutes ago, hammertime said:

If we are looking for a defense first RHD which of course we are. I don't think I would let Jake Martin drop beyond the 3rd round and thankfully Will Scouch has done a profile on him breaking down why we Canucks fans need this guy!

I am going to wait until the final rankings to see what others are thinking.

I have a hunch Ceulemans will be closer tothe top 10 then he is now.

I am on the fence .......McTavish, Lysell, Svechkov, Ceulemans, Johnson

IMO, we go after compete level or skill

Lyell, Johnson and Ceulemens are skill (Offensive players)

McTavish and Svechkov are compete players (200 ft games)

After listening to Benning, he wants skill and speed

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Yeah, there are flashes of brilliance from Tuomaala for sure. But after my first couple viewings I was so awestruck that I thought he might be top 15 or 20, up in Chibrikov, Johnson, Lysell skill territory. But I dunno, I'd like to see him bring that skill more consistently. Maybe I'm a hypocrite since I'm always critical of guys Johnson or Perfetti when they rely on their skill too much vs. playing within a team concept. Likely a big part of it is just the Finnish national team's philosophy - defense first, play as a team, responsible with the puck, but I saw him dump it in or make pure possession plays (plays with the sole intention of extending OZ possession) rather than offensive plays (plays with the intention of leading directly to scoring chances). I wanted to see him use his skill and attack defenders more, show some confidence, the belief that he can make something out of nothing. Would be great to see more of him with his club team, but there's only the one shift-by-shift available. Maybe he could go as early as low 20s, but I'd be pretty surprised with any earlier than that. Could be the biggest "hidden gem" potential of the first round though.

Oh for sure. I'm certainly not using a top 10 pick on Tuomaala. But I will certainly be listening for his name to be called on draft day fingers and toes crossed he makes it to our second. I remember in 2019 hyping Nils Hoglander to my jets fan buddy that they should snap him up at 20. When he dropped all the way to 40 I was shocked at our dumb luck.  

• Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I am going to wait until the final rankings to see what others are thinking.

I have a hunch Ceulemans will be closer tothe top 10 then he is now.

I am on the fence .......McTavish, Lysell, Svechkov, Ceulemans, Johnson

IMO, we go after compete level or skill

Lyell, Johnson and Ceulemens are skill (Offensive players)

McTavish and Svechkov are compete players (200 ft games)

After listening to Benning, he wants skill and speed

I think if we stick at the 9 spot, Lysell or Ceulemans will be our pick, unless one of the big names drop. 

7 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I have a question for who cares to answer it...........

If Benning really feels we are a playoff team in 1 or 2 years, then would you trade your 2023-st (unprotected) this year?

I wouldn't trade it this year we simply don't have the Cap space to add a player that a trade like that would make sense. Or for that matter the ability to predict that far ahead. However as an offseason move in 2022 I could see it. We have Luo, Loui, Rooster, Beagle comming off the books and only Boeser needs a re up. 2022 is when you make that deal and hope to swindle another JT Miller. 

• Cheers 2

Chibrikov was absolutely phenomenal at times through the U18s. Of the top three pure skilled players (Lysell, Johnson, Chibrikov), he is the most responsible, pro-style player. Defensively he's ok, but by responsible I mean with the puck, making smart plays, using his teammates, not giving it away or trying to go one on three. He also may have the most impressive hands in tight spaces in the entire draft - a highly NHL translatable skill. My main issue coming in to the tournament was with his size and ability (willingness?) to win battles. But I noticed in this tournament that when he's into the game, he battles pretty hard. But the problem is, he was almost completely invisible in a couple games against weaker teams. This is a very fixable problem, but could take some time. In the NHL to be an elite player you've gotta be ready to bring your A game every single night, regardless of opponent or circumstance. Surprised this kid isn't getting at least some chatter for top ten.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

Chibrikov was absolutely phenomenal at times through the U18s. Of the top three pure skilled players (Lysell, Johnson, Chibrikov), he is the most responsible, pro-style player. Defensively he's ok, but by responsible I mean with the puck, making smart plays, using his teammates, not giving it away or trying to go one on three. He also may have the most impressive hands in tight spaces in the entire draft - a highly NHL translatable skill. My main issue coming in to the tournament was with his size and ability (willingness?) to win battles. But I noticed in this tournament that when he's into the game, he battles pretty hard. But the problem is, he was almost completely invisible in a couple games against weaker teams. This is a very fixable problem, but could take some time. In the NHL to be an elite player you've gotta be ready to bring your A game every single night, regardless of opponent or circumstance. Surprised this kid isn't getting at least some chatter for top ten.

I mean if it makes you feel better Neutral Zone whoever they are has him 11. https://www.eliteprospects.com/draft-center/2021/neutral-zone they also have Lambos at 2 and Beniers at 18 :picard:

Undersized offensive Russian yaaaaa its no surprise he's flying below the radar. In 2 years he will be on the top of every top prospects outside the NHL list. My guess is Yzerman takes him with the Capitals pick. If not he may even make it to the 2nd round. He will likely get the Kaliev, Klim Kosten treatment. Of course for different reasons I'm not comparing him to those players other than the lens he well be looked at. 

I really really like how Chibrikov slices through the neutral zone I havn't looked at any controlled zone entry stats if there are any but I would wager in this area he's at or near the top of this draft class.

Concerns he seems largely ineffective when the puck is on the opposing teams stick. It's not for lack of trying at least he makes an effort to check and cover lanes but from what I have seen he doesn't seem very effective at it. At least he's not giving up on the play he certainly has the capacity and desire to improve. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, hammertime said:

Haha you and I are going different directions.

That Pass from Tuomaala back door to Salminen against the Suisse wow!

https://www.facebook.com/iihfhockey/videos/763657261008077/?t=0

Tuomaala drawing literally the entire USA team to him working it to the point for the pass to Koivunen who could build a house on that acreage before anyone got to him.

Salminen predictably winning yet another draw against Svechkov no less with the strong second effort then rushing up ice and finishing this off out of mid air while down 6-3 was a huge momentum changing goal. 

Heimosalmi Vert de ferk! Thats a slippery Salmi.

Um did I say slippery Salmi... The moves on this kid to give Koivunen the tap in.

My two cents on some of the rest of the Finns:

I remember someone posted a ranking from some blog site or something a couple months ago that had Heimosalmi at 14. Good for that guy; 14 is a stretch, but I love when people have strong/bold opinions and run with them (especially when there is actually something to it). Heimosalmi will be skyrocketing up everyone else's lists after U18s. The way he creates deception walking the offensive blueline could make him a legitimate weapon on an NHL powerplay. Defense and puck-rushing also looked really solid. I'll be stunned if he's not a first rounder, and won't be too surprised if he goes way earlier than most people expect. Wouldn't it be something if Aatu Raty ends up being the third Finn chosen, behind Heimosalmi and Tuomaala?

To be honest, I'm not the biggest Salminen fan. Yes, there's a few legit tools - the shot, faceoffs, size, strength. Hockey sense seems pretty good. But I just don't see much in the way of skills there. I mean, he could be a really good bottom six grinder and PKer who can chip in some goals, but where he gets picked depends how safe a bet he is to be that. Even just to be a grinder in the NHL, the skating, stickhandling, passing have to able to keep up with the pace. If a team thinks he's a sure thing, then he might go early 2nd, but the return isn't high enough to be worth too much risk, so if teams think there's any chance he busts, he could fall to late second or even third. I'm not informed enough on all the possible second rounders in this draft to make a very educated prediction, but assuming it is a relatively average draft class, my guess would be he goes mid second.

My feeling on Koivunen is very similar to Katelevsky for Russia. Really good, but not elite skill, smart, responsible players, pretty good size, but nothing that really stands out. Both are borderline first rounders, but most likely early to mid second.