The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

36 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

K well I've been looking over my list and realizing there's quite a few players I still need viewings or additional viewings on, so I'll just post my tentative top 10, with brief comments:

1. Brandt Clarke - Elite skating and all-around hockey sense. Like Jamie Drysdale last year, the thing that sets him apart is his ability to escape danger in his own zone; regardless what kind of pressure he is under, he almost always finds a way out. Loves to join the cycle and lead the rush, but what many people miss is he's also really good at picking his spots and knowing when to fall back or dump it in. Only minor concern is his zone defense, where he can get a little lost trying to do too much.

2. Owen Power - His biggest strength is carrying the puck up the ice through the neutral zone, where I see shades of Dustin Byfuglien. Not the greatest hands, but he uses his size and reach to protect the puck, and once he gets going its like trying to knock a steam engine off the tracks. Strong defending around his net, and can make plays in the offensive zone. Only concern for me is his ability to defend against speed.

3. William Eklund - Very high upside, and also looks like a relatively safe pick. He's already an offensive difference-maker in the 3rd best league in the world. Good work ethic, responsible with the puck, but most importantly he loves to make things happen offensively, and his dynamic skating makes him a threat at all times.

4. Matthew Beniers - The best two-way forward in the draft; his checking, tenacity in pursuit and second effort are NHL-ready. Basically everything he does in NCAA is going to carry over smoothly to the NHL. He's shown a dynamic offensive element at times throughout his young career, but I'm doubtful much of that will translate to the NHL due to limited technical skills.

5. Luke Hughes - He's at his best in the offensive zone, where his dynamic skating ability rivals Clarke's, but Hughes has better hands. He also defends well, at least at the USHL level, and carries the puck very well through the neutral zone. The main concern is handling the puck in his own zone under pressure, where he can make smooth escapes in open ice with his skating, but down low he tends to make bad reversals and throw it away to opponents along the boards.

6. Cole Sillinger - He's a swiss army knife and a coach's dream. Such a pro-style player: he's great along the boards and he's the best in the draft around the opponent's net, where he's an elite shot-tipper, creates chaos in the crease and shovels garbage like nobody's business. Excellent on the forecheck and backcheck, first forward on the ice for the PK, and on the PP he can be effective from any position; netfront, bumper, sideboards. He likely won't be best utilized on the point on an NHL powerplay, but for one of the worst teams in the USHL this year he was often needed there. His shot and deceptiveness are his best offensive attributes. Hands are good but not elite. Biggest concern is with his skating, but his hockey sense is high enough to alleviate much of that concern, a la Mark Stone or Luc Robataille. I see a lot of Joe Pavelski in him.

7. Dylan Guenther - Biggest strength is his one-on-ones, where he can deke, skate around guys, or shoot through them. He's also a dangerous shooting option from the left sideboards on the PP. He's also a good two-way forward. No real weaknesses, but as high-end as his skating and stick skills are at the junior level, I don't see them as elite in the NHL. Probably more of a complimentary top six than a line-driver, but he'll score goals due to his shot and nose for the net.

8. Kent Johnson - One of the most skilled and unquestionably the most creative forward in the draft. Work ethic and second-effort are quite high, and he shows a willingness to contribute in his own zone. Biggest concern is his decision-making with the puck, where he tends to try to do too much and makes some high risk plays. He's skilled enough that a lot of it works in the NCAA, but in the NHL he's gonna drive his coaches to drink.

9. Fabian Lysell - Another of the most purely skilled players in the class. Elite skater, both in terms of speed and agility. I haven't watched him a ton but I've had the benefit of seeing him periodically over the course of a year and a half so I've seen his constant progression. Initially at the U17s I had major concerns about him being a one-man show offensively, but the SHL has humbled him and he's improved drastically at knowing when to dump it in or use his teammates vs. trying to go one on two or three. Still trying to find that balance as he looked highly confident again at U18s, but in SHL he often looks unsure of himself with the puck; and his size doesn't help matters as he can't really afford to take bumps or find himself in puck battles because he's usually going to lose possession.

10. Chaz Lucius - Goal-scoring prowess starts with offensive IQ that finds him skating routes off the puck that set up multiple dangerous options, then excellent 360 degree skating agility allows him to quickly utilize those options and slip into open areas, and finally his elite shot finishes things off. I've had the occasional question mark on his decision-making with the puck. Wish we could have seen him against some higher level competition this year, like a DI school or at U18s.

Thanks for bringing Sillinger into the discussion. He is one guy I need more viewings of however from the games I have watched I would be very happy if we came away with him at 9. A net front presence is something we are woefully lacking and his 2 way game seems to have every indication of him panning out as a reliable top 6 NHL player. My only concern is his skating seems a bit clog footed I am however optomistic he can improve. 

I think if JB is looking to save his hide Sillinger might be a smart choice for him as he will likely be NHL ready before JB's contract is up. Where a guy like Johnson he won't be able to hang his hat on when it comes time to re negotiate.

I think the Canucks biggest need is a big dependable, elite skating defensive Dman to pair with Hughes.  Really intrigued by Edvinsson.  Defence wins championships, and having a Hedman-type of Dman would help get them there. I really like Beniers, Guenther, Johnson and Eklund, but the Canucks have skilled young players in Pettersson and Hoglander, and then there's Podkolzin coming next year.  I hope they take a D, either Power or Edvinsson, if they get the chance. 

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think the Canucks biggest need is a big dependable, elite skating defensive Dman to pair with Hughes.  Really intrigued by Edvinsson.  Defence wins championships, and having a Hedman-type of Dman would help get them there. I really like Beniers, Guenther, Johnson and Eklund, but the Canucks have skilled young players in Pettersson and Hoglander, and then there's Podkolzin coming next year.  I hope they take a D, either Power or Edvinsson, if they get the chance. 

I go BPA but if the players are equal go for positional need. If we ever get 1st overall pick, I would get Power or Clarke. 

• Vintage 1

Here is the way I see the draft going down.

1. Buff- Beniers. They need him.

2. Dux- Power seems like a prototypical duck to me.

3. Seattle- Eklund They are going to have the pick of the litter of D they will want the highest ceiling fwd.

4. NJ- Luke because of course.

5. CBJ- Edvinsson their defensive cupboards are bare. I think Edvinsson is a player they can really sell to their their fanbase.

6. Det- Wallstedt Yzerman is no slouch. He is building a winner brick by brick. Walls are made of bricks drafting a goalie named Wall.... Coincidence I think not.

7. SJ- Clarke. He makes perfect sense for them Karlsson is literally his hero who better to mentor him? He fits their timeline and screams Shark to me.

8. LA- Cossa I think they shake things up. With all the players remaining having so many question marks Cossa actually IMO is one of the most sure things left. He has been overshadowed by one of the best goalie prospects we have seen in probably a decade but make no mistake Cossa is the real deal. LA's aging out Cossa to me makes perfect sense as a piece of the foundation of their rebuild.

Which brings us to Van and my wish list.

1 Lysell I feel like he does a great job of summing up how I feel about this player right here.

2. Mason Mctavish. He's a strong character salt of the earth blue collar C the kind of guy who comes up huge when games matter. He can be relied upon to play hard minutes with the skill to play with high end players and put points on the board. The Swiss league is no joke very impressive.

3. Svechkov all we ever hear about with this player is his defensive game. However IMO his offensive game hasn't been given an opportunity to shine through given the crappty team he has been on and the role he has had to play. Make no mistake he's far more than just a defensive C he's crafty he creates space and generates chances. He was an absolute juggernaut for Russia at the u18 when wedged between skilled players he did not look out of place one bit infact was a huge contributor to their success. The thought of him and Podkolzin together is so tantalizing.

4. Sillinger IMO its a toss up between him and Lucius for best goal scorer in this draft however when it comes to Sillinger he's far more dynamic he can make you pay all over the ice. He's so smart and can be relied upon on the PK. His skating has improved since I started watching him but still a work in progress if he were a step quicker he would be in top 3 discussion. I believe he can gain that step.  

5. Ceulemans If I'm honest It's pretty hard to project this player based on his games with Brooks. However I was quite impressed with him at the U18 I don't really know enough about him to put him ahead of the others however if JB is picking him I trust he has done his homework. 

But you may say what about Guenther and Johnson? I have nothing against these 2 players there's a lot to like in fact. Everyone's entitled to their opinions and in my opinion Johnson though having elite skill isn't a guy who screams playoff performer to me. I'm kinda in that same boat with Guenther I expected a dominating performance from him at the U18 where he just sorta went along for the ride. So in my opinion these 2 just don't really fit the blueprint of the team identity of smothering and hard to play against. If I am wrong I will happily concede that I was wrong.

My second round targets not ranked in order yet. Hoping one of them falls to us.

Chibrikov

Tuomaala

Heimosalmi

Svozil

Chayka

Pastujov 

Salminen

Rosen

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 3

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Edler will fill that role admirably, if Baumer comes back; not sure a rookie will be allowed to get into the line up in the NHL level - except if the rookie manages to force his way into the lineup.  

On Draft day outside of the top 3 year after year don't most D men drop a few spots to skilled Centers and wingers ? I think one of the top D men should still be available at 9 [ Hopefully we don't drop any farther AGAIN ] . Would not be surprised at all if JB trade the pick this year hopefully not if we win a top 2 pick  .  Would 9th and a prospect be out of the question to Buf for  Sam Reinhart or is that just a No Go ?

I am hoping they draft one of the top D men this year if one drops to 9th

Edited by Nurnge
just to be clear

7 minutes ago, Nurnge said:

On Draft day outside of the top 3 year after year don't most D men drop a few spots to skilled Centers and wingers ? I think one of the top D men should still be available at 9 [ Hopefully we don't drop any farther AGAIN ] . Would not be surprised at all if JB trade the pick this year hopefully not if we win a top 2 pick  .  Would 9th and a prospect be out of the question to Buf for  Sam Reinhart or is that just a No Go ?

Hard no for me.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Thanks.

1. It would have been great to have seen Sillinger at U18s, but as I mentioned to you about trusting my instincts - I had him number four on my first list after U17s, and despite other people's opinions, my subsequent viewings as well as the stats have always backed me up, as he was a goal a game player for a while on the worst team in the USHL. The skating has been an issue at times without question, but as a Sens fan I was doubtful of Mark Stone for a long time, and I learned the lesson that when hockey IQ is that high, average skating can be overcome.

2. On Wallstedt, I just can't condone picking goalies that high. I had a post the other day noting that I'm old enough to remember Al Montoya, Rick DiPietro, Dan Blackburn, Pascal Leclaire, etc., all were supposed to be next big things. Yes there's Carey Price, Tuukka Rask, Vasilievsky, but history shows us they are the exception rather than the rule.

3. I've talked a number of times about my concerns with Edvinsson's defensive game; he'll come in around 11 or 12 on my final list. I know it's against the majority, but on McKenzie's first scout survey, Edvinsson was ranked 2nd overall but four scouts had him outside the top ten, so I'm not completely alone on this.

I also have the same handful of players, McTavish, Svechkov, Ceulemans, plus Chibrikov and Lambos, in that 10-15 range. Tuomaala and Bolduc are dark horses competing for spots in my top 15.

1. Stick to your guns. Sillinger is the real deal.

2. If ever there was a year Goalies could go high this is it. IMO Wallstedt and Cossa are 2 of the best goalie prospects we have seen in a long time. Don't be shy to draft a goalie in the 1st. for every Rick D there are 2  Fleury, Brodeur, Fuhr, Luongo, Barasso, Rask, Price, Vasilevski, Varlomov, etc. Knight is gonna be a beauty too.

3. Edvinsson it's hard to tell with him one thing is certain holy smokes can he skate. Give him time maturity does wonders. 

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I actually watched this video last night. Everyone needs to do themselves a favour and give this a watch!

Yes, he's a winger... but he might very well be the BPA at our pick.

I get a funny feeling that LA really likes this kid...

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs

56 minutes ago, AC Readership said:

GMJB shouldn't be trading this draft pick at all unless it's trading down to get more assets.

Disagree.

All options should be on the table.

If Columbus isn’t convinced they can re-sign Jones you jump all over that.

I’d do our 1st, Schmidt, and a prospect for a signed Jones in a heartbeat.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Seen a few projections that have Guenther, Wallstedt, and Eklund going in the first 8 picks.

If LA decides to take a forward like Johnson that would be enough to see either Clarke or Edvinsson fall to 9.

There’s too much value in a right handed dman that I can’t see Clarke making it. Edvinsson is the real wildcard type prospect and for that reason he’s the only one I could maybe see slide to 9th. However If it were me picking all those 4 dmen are gone before our pick. Edvinsson’s measureables and skating ability are very rare and he has nice offensive ability with already a good defensive game.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

There’s too much value in a right handed dman that I can’t see Clarke making it. Edvinsson is the real wildcard type prospect and for that reason he’s the only one I could maybe see slide to 9th. However If it were me picking all those 4 dmen are gone before our pick. Edvinsson’s measureables and skating ability are very rare and he has nice offensive ability with already a good defensive game.

Not every team is gonna need defenseman though.

Theres some pretty good forwards in that range and a very good goalie. 

I think there will be more than a few surprises in this draft.

Edited by DeNiro

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Disagree.

All options should be on the table.

If Columbus isn’t convinced they can re-sign Jones you jump all over that.

I’d do our 1st, Schmidt, and a prospect for a signed Jones in a heartbeat.

I'd trust you to make that trade, but not GMJB.

I'm even hesitant at the though of him trading up or down in the draft.

Guenther is a RW/LW, so unless he's a phenomenal winger, I'd wait on him if they're picking #10-12. Cs and Ds are the sought after assets. Guenther is probably quite good, like a Boeser, but is he worth taking in the Top 5? 

Cs

Beniers

Johnson

Eklund

Ds

Power

Edvinsson

Hughes

Clarke

Need one of these guys

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Guenther is a RW/LW, so unless he's a phenomenal winger, I'd wait on him if they're picking #10-12. Cs and Ds are the sought after assets. Guenther is probably quite good, like a Boeser, but is he worth taking in the Top 5? 

Cs

Beniers

Johnson

Eklund

Ds

Power

Edvinsson

Hughes

Clarke

Need one of these guys

Probably not but he should probably be taken in the top 10. He does get a phenomenal amount of points wherever he plays.

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Cs

Beniers

Johnson

Eklund

McTavish

Ds

Power

Edvinsson

Hughes

Clarke

Need one of these guys

Fixed