Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

@hammertime

@Alflives

or anyone else that wants to jump in

Please point out the flaws in my idea, I know there are some......here it goes

So if JB is right and we will be a competing team in 2 years, than our 2023 draft pick will not be a lottery pick....let me know if you agree with this!

Secondly, I believe that we should have been a much better team this year, except for the Covid condensed schedule and Pettie's injury

So, there is the idea I was leading up to. If all that is true, and JB is an above average drafter, which most think he is, then would you accept the following?

Trade#1............................ our 2023-1st + Schmidt for Columbus's 2 late 2021-1st's (Toronto's 27 OA and Tampa's 25 OA)

or

Trade #2...........................our 2023-1st + Schmidt for New Jersey's (NYI's 2021 1st 22 OA) and New Jersey's 2022-2nd (36 OA ish? )

or

Trade #3...........................our 2023-1st + Schmidt for Minnisota's 2021-st 26 OA + Pittsburg's 2021-1st 29 OA

But my take is that we could really add to our prospects stable...................

So, just spit balling for illustration purposes

Canucks..........9th OA...........................Lysell, McTavish, Ceulemans or Dman who drops?

Tampa's...........25th OA.........................Morrow..........Svechkov (if he drops because he is Russian), maybe Raty?

Toronto's .........27th OA.........................Cossa, Morrow, if we took Svechkov with our 25th

Van's................41st OA.........................Mailloux, Schmidt

I mean, who knows, but it really fills the prospect pool back up

I like it.  I don’t really understand it though, but I like we get Ceulemans and Morrow.  

3 minutes ago, Sp3nny said:

Myself, I feel a lot of our skill picks were heavily Brackett favored, and our bigger meat and potatoes picks were Benning byproduct. They found a really good mix of picks at the start ie. Benning liked Virtanen, Brackett liked McCann, Benning liked Tryamkin etc. In 2017 you see this mirrored with Brackett getting Petey, Benning liking Lind etc. I think Brackett took offense to the Podkolzin pick as he perhaps really wanted to continue the success of our pure skill picks in prior years (Petey, Hughes) in Caulfield (just an example) but they went in Benning's meat and potatoes direction with Podkolzin. Let's be honest, I think a lot of us were a little surprised when Pod was announced as our pick. I have no problem with Pod at all, but it was different than our skill based picks from prior drafts. I was expecting Caulfield, Boldy, or who I preferred at the time, Newhook to be the pick.

That being said, I'm not of the opinion that Benning had no say in our skill picks, no doubt he did. However, I think Benning has proven in certain picks, and especially his trades, he puts a premium on character/intangibles over potential/skill. And this causes me to say that atleast some of our first round success was do to Brackett. Even looking at Minnesota's first draft with Brackett, they made skill picks in Rossi, Khusnutdinov, and Novak. All players I liked going into the draft for their skill based play.

I think this year will be really telling depending on how we pick. If we go the skill route with a Johnson, Lucius etc. it will change that narrative a bit. But I have a feeling we may go with a McTavish, Lyssell, Sillinger etc route with a bit of a two-way, hard to play against pick. I'm not saying these are bad players, just that Benning has a track record of preference to that type of guy.

I personally think we need more skilled players. Without Petey this year, our offense was severely lacking, no question about it. We need to insulate that with more skill, and let FA or trades take care of the two-way/defensive needs.

Pods will be better than the guys you liked.  Pods will be top three in his draft.  Can’t just have a bunch of fancy players who only play outside the dots.  Pods is highly skilled and a friggin’ lion out there.  

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Pods will be better than the guys you liked.  Pods will be top three in his draft.  Can’t just have a bunch of fancy players who only play outside the dots.  Pods is highly skilled and a friggin’ lion out there.  

Like I said, I don't have a problem with the Pod pick, and I think he will be good. I think your outlook is ambitious at this point, but only time will tell. I agree that you can't only have "fancy" players, but the "fancy" players almost always cost the most to acquire, and its why drafting them is so crucial.

At the time, I wanted Newhook, and was just being honest about that. I'm not the type to say "oh I wanted Pastrnak" after the fact. I loved Horvat in his draft year, I wanted Ehlers in 2014, Konecny in 2015, and rly wanted Hoglander with our 2nd in 2019. You win some, you lose some. Boeser wasn't high on my list, but he has proven to be an excellent pick. Everyone has a preference, but I'm not a fan of the bandwagoning after a pick is made, and people saying "oh I wanted him all along" just because your team picked him. Yes, I'm a Canucks fan, but I'm a hockey fan first and foremost.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sp3nny said:

Like I said, I don't have a problem with the Pod pick, and I think he will be good. I think your outlook is ambitious at this point, but only time will tell. I agree that you can't only have "fancy" players, but the "fancy" players almost always cost the most to acquire, and its why drafting them is so crucial.

At the time, I wanted Newhook, and was just being honest about that. I'm not the type to say "oh I wanted Pastrnak" after the fact. I loved Horvat in his draft year, I wanted Ehlers in 2014, Konecny in 2015, and rly wanted Hoglander with our 2nd in 2019. You win some, you lose some. Boeser wasn't high on my list, but he has proven to be an excellent pick. Everyone has a preference, but I'm not a fan of the bandwagoning after a pick is made, and people saying "oh I wanted him all along" just because your team picked him. Yes, I'm a Canucks fan, but I'm a hockey fan first and foremost.

Like I said, Pods will prove to be top three best in his draft.  He’s a winner.  That’s our guy.  Those other guys are craperolla to me.  Hate ‘em.  Can’t cheer for other team’s players, unless they’re playing the Leafs. 

• Cheers 1

I really like Clarke, Power, and Beniers at the top of the draft. Any of these guys would be huge additions to our roster.

But lately I'm back on the Luke Hughes train. He's one of the younger draft eligible players, and he's a great player in his own right.

The brother connection is enough to keep butts in seats, and it could be huge for defining the Hughes family as lifelong Canucks alumni.

Perhaps it even opens up the possibility of bringing in Jack at some point in the future. 

Quinn is my favourite Canuck, and I want to maximize his potential and keep him in our colours for life. Having baby bro on board helps with that, but it also means adding another dynamic piece to our backend. Win-win.

38 minutes ago, Sp3nny said:

Myself, I feel a lot of our skill picks were heavily Brackett favored, and our bigger meat and potatoes picks were Benning byproduct. They found a really good mix of picks at the start ie. Benning liked Virtanen, Brackett liked McCann, Benning liked Tryamkin etc. In 2017 you see this mirrored with Brackett getting Petey, Benning liking Lind etc. I think Brackett took offense to the Podkolzin pick as he perhaps really wanted to continue the success of our pure skill picks in prior years (Petey, Hughes) in Caulfield (just an example) but they went in Benning's meat and potatoes direction with Podkolzin. Let's be honest, I think a lot of us were a little surprised when Pod was announced as our pick. I have no problem with Pod at all, but it was different than our skill based picks from prior drafts. I was expecting Caulfield, Boldy, or who I preferred at the time, Newhook to be the pick.

Sources on any of this? There were interviews immediately following the draft where Brackett appeared giddy to be getting Podkolzin. 

Edited by nergish

2 minutes ago, nergish said:

Sources on any of this? There was a video immediately following the draft where Brackett appeared giddy to be getting Podkolzin. I'll have to find it, but I think he even suggested that he did not expect him to be available where we picked.

No sources, this is strictly my personal musings. I'm not stating any of it as fact. I could be totally wrong. Just was responding to the question of "does Benning have the upper hand?" question. If you find the video, I'll be fine being proven wrong. At the same time, what is Brackett supposed to say? He would support the team and pick, rather than coming out saying "we didn't get the guy I wanted".

I'm digging into Lucius and Sillinger right now. Sillinger can really finish. He actually reminds me a lot of Horvat from his draft year. Not the most skill, skating was a bit of a detractor, but the guy just always gets it done. Elite level finish, and his shot looks really good. I'm not sure his shot is good enough to be beating NHL goalies like he does from the face-off dots out right now, but its still great. Horvat really climbed the draft ranking later on, especially after his playoff performance. Sillinger seems to be doing the same.

17 minutes ago, nergish said:

Sources on any of this? There were interviews immediately following the draft where Brackett appeared giddy to be getting Podkolzin. 

Of course there are no sources for this view.  Bracket loved the Pods pick.  

This draft I know Benning will get us another great prospect.  Ho many years in a row have we had great rookies come in?  Four?  That’s crazy good drafting.  

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Like I said, Pods will prove to be top three best in his draft.  He’s a winner.  That’s our guy.  Those other guys are craperolla to me.  Hate ‘em.  Can’t cheer for other team’s players, unless they’re playing the Leafs. 

I like your exuberance Alf, but its just not my style. I like a lot of teams/players around the league, and my jersey collection reflects that lol. I hope one day my crystal ball is as good as yours though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sp3nny said:

I like your exuberance Alf, but its just not my style. I like a lot of teams/players around the league, and my jersey collection reflects that lol. I hope one day my crystal ball is as good as yours though.

My crystal ball is actually just melted down empty scotch bottles.  Nothing special.   :towel:

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Alflives said:

My crystal ball is actually just melted down empty scotch bottles.  Nothing special.   :towel:

I'll have to try that, as my scotch collection rivals my jersey collection. I've got a few empty's to dispose of right now lol.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I am with you on this CF

IMO, with such a rich defenseman draft, and the Canucks already having some very nice young LHD, our RHD do not have to be elite. As people are quoting Benning on his "speed and skill" remark, that is great, but size is also a factor we should be looking at. That rules out Heimosalmi, but all the rest are 6'2" or better.

I am of the mind, we could move our 2023, to accomplish what you suggest, and then recover it, later in 2 years at the TDL, "IF" wanted. (There will be players that may be getting pushed out in 2 years by some of our prospects).

So, if we use our 2023-1st to acquire a better pick and go after Clarke....great! If not, I am all in on Ceulemans, which will not take an up grade to get. (IMO, he will be around the 12 to 14 ranking on the next set of draft rankings (IMO, he really showed well at the U18's).........as good as Clarke!

Would he be a reach at 10 OA..........no, I don't think so.

Now the other guys you named are also obtainable, as long as we again , do not reach. Excluding Heimosalmi.

Morrow..............late 1st

Mailloux............late 1st to early 2nd

Schmidt............mid 2nd

Bar....................mid to late 2nd

Imo, it is nice to have skill and speed with your 1st, and it is always nice to be able to pick it and any round, but defensive skills also need to be addressed, and be part of it.

Yeah I'm hoping for that. I've been looking at a few list lately and all of those guys except for Clarke and Ceulemans obviously have been all over the boards. I'm not overly interested in Heimosalmi due to his size as you pointed out but as for the others I've seen all over.

Morrow - mid 1st to early 2nd

Mailloux - early 2nd to early 4th (lol)

Bar - mid 2nd to mid 3rd

Schmidt - mid 2nd to late 3rd

Ideally for me we'd get Clarke or Ceulemans in the 1st, Morrow or Mailloux in the 2nd and Bar or Schmidt in the 3rd. If we have to make some trades to make that happen I'd be fine with that. And then I'm sure there will be plenty of others late in the draft that would be well worth taking a chance on at basically any position.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Sp3nny said:

I'll have to try that, as my scotch collection rivals my jersey collection. I've got a few empty's to dispose of right now lol.

I’ll send you my mother-in-law.  Her “dragon” breath melts the bottles perfectly.    :frantic:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ‹(•¿•)› said:

This is the guy that intrigues me the most at our spot, does seem risky though, with some rankings having him as low as the 2nd round.

Lol at Craig Button flipflop: " I have no doubt he’s a top-10 player — none whatsoever in my mind — in the draft. And I don’t care if he plays another game. I’ve had the benefit of watching him play for a number of years, and I think he’s that good.”

Latest Button list has him ranked at 22, c'mon Craig which is it?:rolleyes:

If we trade down to 21 - say we trade with NJ for some reason e.g.- id like him at that spot. But who knows even Button cant say

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

@hammertime

@Alflives

or anyone else that wants to jump in

Please point out the flaws in my idea, I know there are some......here it goes

So if JB is right and we will be a competing team in 2 years, than our 2023 draft pick will not be a lottery pick....let me know if you agree with this!

Secondly, I believe that we should have been a much better team this year, except for the Covid condensed schedule and Pettie's injury

So, there is the idea I was leading up to. If all that is true, and JB is an above average drafter, which most think he is, then would you accept the following?

Trade#1............................ our 2023-1st + Schmidt for Columbus's 2 late 2021-1st's (Toronto's 27 OA and Tampa's 25 OA)

or

Trade #2...........................our 2023-1st + Schmidt for New Jersey's (NYI's 2021 1st 22 OA) and New Jersey's 2022-2nd (36 OA ish? )

or

Trade #3...........................our 2023-1st + Schmidt for Minnisota's 2021-st 26 OA + Pittsburg's 2021-1st 29 OA

But my take is that we could really add to our prospects stable...................

So, just spit balling for illustration purposes

Canucks..........9th OA...........................Lysell, McTavish, Ceulemans or Dman who drops?

Tampa's...........25th OA.........................Morrow..........Svechkov (if he drops because he is Russian), maybe Raty?

Toronto's .........27th OA.........................Cossa, Morrow, if we took Svechkov with our 25th

Van's................41st OA.........................Mailloux, Schmidt

I mean, who knows, but it really fills the prospect pool back up

I mean it really depends who it there buuuut..... I kinda feel like this is trading Bo Horvat + Schmidt for Gaunce + Jensen. There is no substitute for top 10 picks I don't think I make any of those deals. Realistically the drop in talent available especially this year between  25OA and 50th OA isn't that wide. In fact especially this year I would look at adding as many 2nd and 3rd rounders as possible hoping a lil scattershot drafting turns up some gems other teams havn't had a chance to get a good look at. 

Can we please have 3 or 4 of

Salminen prototypical checking C 2nd round

Koivunen very good 5v5 scoring RW 2nd/3rd round

Samoskovich Puck rushing speedy fast thriving in transition C. 2nd round

Jack Bar Good all round RHD 2nd

Pastujov High end play making winger with 2 way acumen 2nd round

Brent Johnson Skilled 2 way RHD 2nd round

Helenius Massive 6'6 shut down C 3rd rounder

Kuzmin Cuz he's so fun to watch RHD 3rd rounder

Roman Schmidt Mammoth 6'6 defensive RHD with above average skating. 3rd rounder 

Trade Schmiddy poo for some expiring cap back and 2 2nds sure bring it!

Rous 50% for a 4th+6th git er dunn. 

Edited by hammertime

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If we trade down to 21 - say we trade with NJ for some reason e.g.- id like him at that spot. But who knows even Button cant say

I think he will go earlier than 21, I feel like the people that like him really like him a lot. I wouldn't be mad if we took him at 9.

2 minutes ago, ‹(•¿•)› said:

I think he will go earlier than 21, I feel like the people that like him really like him a lot. I wouldn't be mad if we took him at 9.

I mean why not? This draft is a crap shoot and we need rhd. 

• Cheers 2