The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I dont think Virtanen has the IQ to become a top 6 forward.

Rate this topic

apollo18

Does he have the IQ to be a top 6; probably does but it would be the 4-6 range (2nd liner) imo. The question really is does he have the will/drive to do so. Reminds me of Kyle Wellwood a bit in that respect. I think what is best is a fresh start with a new team but he would either be an add-in to a deal or it would be reclamation for reclamation. 

I watched a lot of live JV in Calgary in his draft year. He was never a “playmaker” like most high IQ guys are. When he was in his draft year he was extremely dominant. He was just so much stronger and faster than everyone. Looked like a dad jumping in a road hockey game. However, he was a puck hog too. It seems like he can only see in straight lines. It’s not like these guys can’t have success though, you don’t have to be off the charts in IQ. You just have to bust your @ss and get open. IQ isn’t Jake’s problem, it’s effort.  

Edited by Convincing John
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Convincing John said:

I watched a lot of live JV in Calgary in his draft year. He was never a “playmaker” like most high IQ guys are. When he was in his draft year he was extremely dominant. He was just so much stronger and faster than everyone. Looked like a dad jumping in a road hockey game. However, he was a puck hog too. It seems like he can only see in straight lines. It’s not like these guys can’t have success though, you don’t have to be off the charts in IQ. You just have to bust your @ss and get open. IQ isn’t Jake’s problem, it’s effort.  

Well said and I agree, I can probably count on one (maybe two) hands the numbers of time Jake has ever attempted a pass (which nearly always fails).  He is clearly a "Puck Hog" and shooter and always has been since the time he played REP hockey in Abby when he known as " A Seagull" floating around the offensive Blue line waiting for the outlet pass.  He will never change - as he's hard coded for that and why he'll never be more than a shooter, so no use holding our breaths for more.   If he scores 15-18 goals for $1-2M on the 3rd or 4th line then, eh - maybe keep him, but if his numbers fall off a lot then there's only one option thereafter.

• Cheers 1