The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

44 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Interesting.

But what's the point in people getting medically exempt cards from their physicians if they can't be used?

I gather from the officer's remarks that such cards are not valid on transit.  

And, yes, the officer behaved very well when placed in a difficult situation - between a person who believes her medical exemption excuses her from wearing a mask and BC laws that apparently require masks on transit despite such medical exemptions.

If assuming this individual really was medically exempt, then the cop did the wrong thing.

I think they should just let people with "exemption" not wear masks, but record all their details.  Check out whether it's legit, if it's fake, massive fine.  

9 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

I think it's BS. Many people make one up at home too. If you are legitimately exempt then you probably have conditions that require you to stay home or avoid crowded indoor places during a pandemic. They should not be in places where they can either spread or catch the virus.  It is a not a pass to pee on everyone else.. 

Regardless of whether it's a good idea for someone with a medical condition to travel without a mask should be irrelevant.  

The authority shouldn't be policing "what you ought to do" since it will ultimately open a huge can of worms.  

Of course, screw her if she's lying.  

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

No kidding.

It was obviously a BS excuse and for some stupid reason, she decided to go full Karen. I'm sure she expected all her yelling and screaming to garner her sympathy, but I'd be willing to bet that anyone within earshot was thinking "what an idiot".....:picard:

I have zero sympathy for her or people like her. Find alternative modes of transportation. She doesn’t have a right to travel maskless on transit, medical issue or not. She had the right to remain silent and waived that, so waiving her right to travel maskless shouldn’t be an issue either. 

And what was that bullspit about the officer not putting his hands on her because she’s a woman? When was that a rule for police officers?! 

Her gender doesn’t protect her from lawful arrest or detention. That logic was astounding and simultaneously hilarious. 

Hope she was banned from Skytrain and fined. She can then use her car more without putting law abiding transit riders at risk. Win-Win. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

If assuming this individual really was medically exempt, then the cop did the wrong thing.

I think they should just let people with "exemption" not wear masks, but record all their details.  Check out whether it's legit, if it's fake, massive fine.  

I thought he said something about a provincial mandate after he called in for clarification and tried to explain to her that she needs some sort of covering, such as a face shield. 

Regardless of whether it's a good idea for someone with a medical condition to travel without a mask should be irrelevant.  

The authority shouldn't be policing "what you ought to do" since it will ultimately open a huge can of worms.  

Wearing a mask with or without a medical condition during a pandemic, on transit, is relevant to suppressing the spread of the pandemic virus. 

And authorities absolutely should be enforcing mask mandates. The word mandate itself means enforcement is attached, by those authorized to enforce the mandatory laws/regulations/orders. 

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I thought he said something about a provincial mandate after he called in for clarification and tried to explain to her that she needs some sort of covering, such as a face shield. 

Face shields are no longer acceptable on transit. It has to be either medical or cloth mask covering the mouth and nose. 

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

No kidding.

It was obviously a BS excuse and for some stupid reason, she decided to go full Karen. I'm sure she expected all her yelling and screaming to garner her sympathy, but I'd be willing to bet that anyone within earshot was thinking "what an idiot".....:picard:

Why was it obvious that it was a BS excuse?  At the start, she seems to be waving some sort of paper, supposedly her exemption.  At no time does the officer say he doesn't think the exemption is authentic.  What he does say is that the government has changed the rules, implying exemptions no longer apply on transit.  And if that's the case, why and when  did the government do this and what's the purpose in getting an exemption?  (I haven't been keeping up on these things.)

As far as people within earshot, at one point in the video I could hear someone saying "Leave her alone!".

4 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I have zero sympathy for her or people like her. Find alternative modes of transportation. She doesn’t have a right to travel maskless on transit, medical issue or not. She had the right to remain silent and waived that, so waiving her right to travel maskless shouldn’t be an issue either. 

And what was that bullspit about the officer not putting his hands on her because she’s a woman? When was that a rule for police officers?! 

Her gender doesn’t protect her from lawful arrest or detention. That logic was astounding and simultaneously hilarious. 

Hope she was banned from Skytrain and fined. She can then use her car more without putting law abiding transit riders at risk. Win-Win. 

The other thing about this that's kind of stunning is the fact that the only person we see in the video is the cop. (although there are occasional glimpses of people in the background) This means the bizzy ditch recorded the entire thing herself.....for "evidence", I suppose....:unsure:

But now, thanks to her stupidity, it will be evidence and it will be used against her.....:picard:

• Like 1

Absolutely.

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The other thing about this that's kind of stunning is the fact that the only person we see in the video is the cop. (although there are occasional glimpses of people in the background) This means the bizzy ditch recorded the entire thing herself.....for "evidence", I suppose....:unsure:

But now, thanks to her stupidity, it will be evidence and it will be used against her.....:picard:

I gotta admit, her video skills were pretty good. She kept us in the story the whole time, even during the arrest.

I think the cop did well but could have been clearer that medical exemptions are no longer ok on transit. As Sharpy said, needs to be a regular mask too, I didn't know that. 

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

&^@# her, right in the massk. I hope her evidence is used against her to boot. 

1 minute ago, UnkNuk said:

Why was it obvious that it was a BS excuse?  At the start, she seems to be waving some sort of paper, supposedly her exemption.  At no time does the officer say he doesn't think the exemption is authentic.  What he does say is that the government has changed the rules, implying exemptions no longer apply on transit.  And if that's the case, why and when  did the government do this and what's the purpose in getting an exemption?  (I haven't been keeping up on these things.)

As far as people within earshot, at one point in the video I could hear someone saying "Leave her alone!".

A couple of things:

Firstly, the amount of yelling and screaming she was doing tells me that it's pretty unlikely that she has any respiratory issues. Not sure what other medical reasons there might be for a mask exemption, but if anyone knows of any, I'm certainly willing to be proved wrong.

Second, remember the point where she shows us the card? Were you able to read it and verify what it was? I certainly wasn't. So I have to wonder why she didn't give us a better look at it....

• Vintage 1

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

Second, remember the point where she shows us the card? Were you able to read it and verify what it was? I certainly wasn't. So I have to wonder why she didn't give us a better look at it....

She had the real one at home, from her doctor!

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

A couple of things:

Firstly, the amount of yelling and screaming she was doing tells me that it's pretty unlikely that she has any respiratory issues. Not sure what other medical reasons there might be for a mask exemption, but if anyone knows of any, I'm certainly willing to be proved wrong.

Re: your first point:  C'mon, none of us here can tell what issues she might have from her voice on the video.

Re: your second point:  No, I couldn't read it.   But in an earlier post you critized her for filming the incident at all.  Now you're criticizing her for not including enough details?

In any event, from the Translink website:

https://www.translink.ca/rider-guide/coronavirus-precautions#ministerial-order-on-mask-use

TransLink will suspend the issuance of exemption cards given we are not able to exempt customers from a Ministerial Order. The Ministerial Order does exempt persons from wearing masks in some circumstances. Transit Police will conduct standard inquiries with any customer not wearing an appropriate mask or face covering, whether they hold a TransLink issued exemption card or not.

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

She had the real one at home, from her doctor!

That's actually a good point.

I just did some digging and I can't find any evidence of Mask exemption "cards", other than a story about anti-maskers printing out fake ones. From what I've read, proof isn't even required, so it seems strange that BC would have such cards and it makes me doubt even more that this woman was telling the truth.

One story I looked at showed the a woman with an actual letter from her physician. Not a card.....

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Re: your first point:  C'mon, none of us here can tell what issues she might have from her voice on the video.

Re: your second point:  No, I couldn't read it.   But in an earlier post you critized her for filming the incident at all.  Now you're criticizing her for not including enough details?

https://www.translink.ca/rider-guide/coronavirus-precautions#ministerial-order-on-mask-use

TransLink will suspend the issuance of exemption cards given we are not able to exempt customers from a Ministerial Order. The Ministerial Order does exempt persons from wearing masks in some circumstances. Transit Police will conduct standard inquiries with any customer not wearing an appropriate mask or face covering, whether they hold a TransLink issued exemption card or not.

I criticized her because it was stupid to record it in the first place. However, if she was trying to convince us that she indeed had an exemption card (which as far as I can tell, don't exist) then she should have done so...

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

That's actually a good point.

I just did some digging and I can't find any evidence of Mask exemption "cards", other than a story about anti-maskers printing out fake ones. From what I've read, proof isn't even required, so it seems strange that BC would have such cards and it makes me doubt even more that this woman was telling the truth.

One story I looked at showed the a woman with an actual letter from her physician. Not a card.....

She knew that.She wanted a conflict in my opinion. 

If she wanted the police to respect her, or anyone for that matter, calm down and communicate. 

• Cheers 4

8 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Actually, I have to admit that you might be correct.....

I found this on Global Edmonton:
https://globalnews.ca/news/7261770/coronavirus-edmonton-bylaw-exemption-cards-masks/

However, one Edmonton physician says that he believes there are actually very few people with legitimate medical exemptions.

“There are very, very few medically indicated reasons for not wearing a mask,”  Dr. Darren Markland, an intensive care physician at the Royal Alexandra Hospital, said Sunday. “And they all tend to revolve around neurological or psychiatric conditions.

That woman definitely sounded like she has a psychiatric condition.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2