The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

30 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Demand for Coronavirus vaccine shots will skyrocket in the US (in GOP states).  Thank you Mr Poutine the real head of the GOP party.

Hmmmm.....wouldn't the needle just break when they tried to stick it in his arm? :unsure:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

IDIOTS!

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/covidiots-overwhelm-florida-s-miami-beach-in-spring-break-swarm/ar-BB1eQtwb?ocid=msedgntp

Spring has sprung, the birds are singing, the pandemic is raging and the so-called “Covidiots” are flocking to the beaches of Florida once more, continuing a tradition that drew much scorn in the earliest weeks of the coronavirus outbreak last year.

State and city officials in Miami Beach, Fla., initially courted the crowds, but they panicked on Saturday after hundreds of mostly unmasked spring breakers swarmed over the famous Ocean Drive strip. The city declared a state of emergency, set an 8 p.m. curfew and dispatched police to break up the party shortly after the declaration.

Read more: Canada drops out of top 10 in latest World Happiness Report

Officers fired pepper balls into the crowd and arrested over 50 people, triggering fierce criticism about their tactics and creating yet another headache for city officials.

“At night there is no question that it became a little out of control or a lot out of control,” Miami Beach Mayor Dan Gelber told local station WPLG.

Gelber was responsible for setting the curfew. He also ordered that Ocean Drive be closed to all foot and vehicle traffic after curfew for four nights a week until at least April 12.

"Too many are coming, really, without the intention of following the rules, and the result has been a level of chaos and disorder that is just something more than we can endure," Gelber told CNN over the weekend.

Spring breakers came out in force again on Sunday, sparking mockery and anger as images poured out on social media.

"Today's center of the #COVIDIOTS universe is Miami Beach, Florida," one popular tweet read, along with an overhead photo of the crowd.

1411076672_Floridabeach.jpg.c04046a0acda0bb635e7165596fdbdc9.jpg

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, a Republican, has repeatedly boasted about the state's lack of lockdowns or mask mandates, and has been encouraging tourism despite the pandemic.

“If you look at South Florida right now, this place is booming,” DeSantis said last month. “Los Angeles isn’t booming. New York City isn’t booming.”

Miami also recently spent $5 million on a major national advertising campaign to push tourism in the area.

Read more: Ex-NBA star Shawn Bradley paralyzed from waist down after car accident

Miami Beach officials suspect the crowds are so large because of pandemic fatigue.

“I believe it’s a lot of pent-up demand from the pandemic and people wanting to get out,” David Richardson, a member of the Miami Beach City Commission, told the New York Times on Sunday. “And our state has been publicly advertised as being open, so that’s contributing to the issue.”

Police say they've seen gunfire, stampedes and rock-throwing during the days-long festivities.

City Manager Raul Aguila said many people from other states were coming in “to engage in lawlessness and an ‘anything goes’ party attitude.” He said most weren’t patronizing the businesses that badly need tourism dollars. Instead, visitors were gathering by the thousands to party in the street.

Miami Beach Police said more than 1,000 people have been arrested this spring break season, with about 80 guns seized.

Read more: Cheerleader’s mom charged in deepfake plot against rival teens

Concerns about racism have also swirled around the police response to the crowds.

Stephen Hunter Johnson, chairman of Miami-Dade’s Black Affairs Advisory Board, compared the Miami Beach crackdown to the lighter treatment that spring breakers are seeing on South Padre Island, another popular party spot in Texas.

“It’s the same group of kids that are in South Padre Island right now, except those kids happen to be white,” he told the Times.

“We have to realize that we are definitely fighting an undertone of racism,” DeAnne Connolly Graham, a member of Miami Beach’s Black Affairs Advisory Committee, told the Miami Herald. She spoke in particular about local white residents who complained about "animals" and "thugs" invading their town on social media.

Gelber defended the use of force during a public meeting on Sunday.

“When hundreds of people are running through the streets panicked, you realize that’s not something that a police force can control,” he said.

The Miami Beach scenes resembled the early days of the pandemic, when college-age revellers defied coronavirus rules to party in Florida last spring. "Covidiots" became a popular insult for such behaviour, particularly after one news report from the scene went viral.

Video: Miami spring breakers vow to keep partying amid pandemic

“If I get corona, I get corona,” one party-goer said at the time. “I’m not going to let it stop me from partying."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit:   Turns out the picture was taken in 2019, but the actual  events and story is current.

Edited by gurn
  • Cheers 1

And this moron, trying to draw a comparison as to how people are treated differently in a different state. Racism he says.

Wow, how bout that?

"

Concerns about racism have also swirled around the police response to the crowds.

Stephen Hunter Johnson, chairman of Miami-Dade’s Black Affairs Advisory Board, compared the Miami Beach crackdown to the lighter treatment that spring breakers are seeing on South Padre Island, another popular party spot in Texas.

• Cheers 1

NIAID Statement on AstraZeneca Vaccine

Late Monday, the Data and Safety Monitoring Board (DSMB) notified NIAID, BARDA, and AstraZeneca that it was concerned by information released by AstraZeneca on initial data from its COVID-19 vaccine clinical trial. The DSMB expressed concern that AstraZeneca may have included outdated information from that trial, which may have provided an incomplete view of the efficacy data. We urge the company to work with the DSMB to review the efficacy data and ensure the most accurate, up-to-date efficacy data be made public as quickly as possible.

ouch, again negative newsflow related to AZ vaccine. Something must be wrong with this company.

8 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Late Monday, the Data and Safety Monitoring Board (DSMB) notified NIAID, BARDA, and AstraZeneca that it was concerned by information released by AstraZeneca on initial data from its COVID-19 vaccine clinical trial. The DSMB expressed concern that AstraZeneca may have included outdated information from that trial, which may have provided an incomplete view of the efficacy data. We urge the company to work with the DSMB to review the efficacy data and ensure the most accurate, up-to-date efficacy data be made public as quickly as possible.

ouch, again negative newsflow related to AZ vaccine. Something must be wrong with this company.

Almost certainly a "nothing to see here" issue. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/business/2021/mar/23/us-health-agency-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine-trial-data

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well, we are asking them to produce vaccines at 5X the normal pace, and be perfect too. There's going to be mistakes. 

Seems a little like this is the vaccine they've chosen to play politics with as well.

I'm watching intently as this is the one I'll be getting in the coming weeks

Edited by stawns
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

Seems a little like this is the vaccine they've chosen to play politics with as well.

I dislike how the media likes to scare people with the information from these trials. Over 21,000 people in the US trial with very good results is what I'm looking at, as this is probably the one my wife will get, she's in post-secondary, its not clear when they will get the shot yet tho.

My in-laws got their 1st shot yesterday tho, so thats a relief. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I dislike how the media likes to scare people with the information from these trials. Over 21,000 people in the US trial with very good results is what I'm looking at, as this is probably the one my wife will get, she's in post-secondary, its not clear when they will get the shot yet tho.

My in-laws got their 1st shot yesterday tho, so thats a relief. 

I'm not too worried about, I'm happy to get any of them

• Cheers 2

Just now, stawns said:

bingo. The main difference seems to be that you may still get a mild case but you won't be in hospital. Works for me.

I just hope by this time next year we're lining up for a made in Canada shot. If we don't come out of this with at least that, people have sacrificed too much. 

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, stawns said:

Yep - most likely because it A isnt from a company that’s part of a large block, b is the cheapest one out there. 

there are vested national or geopolitical situations at play here 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

I think the "wrong" is how low they priced their vaccine.  Undercutting the price for Pfizer and Moderna by a lot.  MMMmmmmm

8 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

I think the "wrong" is how low they priced their vaccine.  Undercutting the price for Pfizer and Moderna by a lot.  MMMmmmmm

It’s not like there is a risk that when it rolls out to poorer countries that they will opt for AZ as it’s cheaper, seems to be a concerted effort to sow doubt to ensure  that isn’t case 

5 hours ago, gurn said:

so this picture I posted yesterday is actually from 2019, but the story and events are current

Are you ever right,

Miami is winning the prize for dumbest place in the USA right now and that is quite a feat.

Was just reading some MMA news and came across this. Jorge is an old school street fighter so he has been commenting on some of the brawls.

Just insane, I never thought I would see gang fights with girls in bikinis... 

Not posting the vids as they are a bit racy, but i am sure many of you will click the link....

https://www.rt.com/sport/518935-jorge-masvidal-spring-break-brawl/

Edited by bishopshodan

6 hours ago, stawns said:

I agree.  I bet if there were no such thing as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines.  All there is, is AZ, and it has 80% against mild, and 100% against serious illness.  People wouldn't be hesitant at all.  These are great numbers from the American trials.  But a double edged sword, that it will probably take us longer to get our 20 million.  It would be great if we could get 5-10 million of them by June.

Edited by BCNeil