The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Nope but even if it’s 4 billion if we were to shut the border down for a year that’s something this province can’t afford to lose.

But here’s the thing...

NO ONE CAN AFFORD IT.

The world we’ve built is extremely fragile. And here is the result.

My house is on fire I can’t afford to lose my house I must go back in! 

But Sir, the entire world is on fire.

Edited by Me_
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

Just now, DeNiro said:

Nope but even if it’s 4 billion if we were to shut the border down for a year that’s something this province can’t afford to lose.

4 billion at this point is a very VERY optimistic number unfortunately.

You're right in we can't afford to lose it, but the coronavirus doesn't take that into account when doing it's thing. Perhaps we should have contacted coronavirus' agent sooner.

It's not about what we can afford to lose at this point. We couldn't afford to lose all of this a month ago, so the best way through this is to be safe. There will be no easy solution no matter what at this point. We'll get through this, it just might not be this year, and that's fine.

• Cheers 1

Just now, The Lock said:

There's a difference between identifying treatments and having an actual cure. Look up the difference between the 2.

I appreciate your positively, but let's not mistaken that for facts and the reality of the situation.

Don’t need to, I know the difference.

You don’t need a cure right away to get past this. Reducing patients time in ICU with a treatment will eleviate the pressure on the health care system.

Once we reach that point, we are able to test and trace, and the health care system is fully equipped things will be able to resume to close to normal. That won’t take a year, have a little faith in our country.

• Wat 1

51 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You don’t need a cure right away to get past this. Reducing patients time in ICU with a treatment will eleviate the pressure on the health care system.

Once we reach that point, we are able to test and trace, and the health care system is fully equipped things will be able to resume to close to normal. That won’t take a year, have a little faith in our country.

That should bring us to about the end of the year.

Do you own a tourism based company?

Edited by Me_
  • Thanks 4

Just now, DeNiro said:

Clearly you don't know the difference if you're stating them as "facts" when the actual people trying to figure this stuff out are going "uh.... not yet..."

Anyway for the record, I've never said it would take a year, but the summer is likely gone for tourism.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

"Some people need to" is a bit presumptuous.  Plus...where do you get YOUR information on successful treatments from?  Your neighbour?

I listen to the experts and read what scientists are saying and then go do other things or it gets a little daunting.  Those predicting economic gloom and doom probably need to get that fresh air that I'm getting...read a great book outside today (on a guy tracking cougars and bears in the wilderness with his dog).  It's going to play out how it does and we'll have to deal with that as it comes.  Financial troubles and all.

I think you're kidding yourself if you think this thing will "pass"....it'll be around for some time but how we manage it will determine things.  Do what it takes, sacrifice a bit and don't get impatient and we'll probably fare better than if we open the floodgates for tourists.  They may bring more than their spending money.

Revisit this thread in 3 months and we’ll talk. ;)

It has nothing to do with impatience, it has to do with reality. Can’t ignore the tolls a major downturn in the economy will have if a shutdown goes long term. Maybe you’re someone who’s okay financially but there are thousands in BC who are only months away from bankruptcy. That will equal lives and livlihoods lost.

Not too worried though, the worlds top scientists are all pulling together and working on treatments and vaccines. Won’t be long till we conquer this thing.

No need for doom and gloom.

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Clearly you don't know the difference if you're stating them as "facts" when the actual people trying to figure this stuff out are going "uh.... not yet..."

Anyway for the record, I've never said it would take a year, but the summer is likely gone for tourism.

The fact I was referring to is that treatments are currently being used and having success.

That is a FACT.

17 minutes ago, Me_ said:

But here’s the thing...

NO ONE CAN AFFORD IT.

The world we’ve built is extremely fragile. And here is the result.

My house is on fire I can’t afford to lose my house I must go back in! 

But Sir, the entire world is on fire.

Except the world is not on fire.

Its a challenge we’re facing but the world has made it through pandemics before with much less knowledge, resources and unity than it has now.

Have a little faith in humanity. ;)

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

The fact I was referring to is that treatments are currently being used and having success.

That is a FACT.

Those treatments though are ones where governments are throwing things at the wall and hoping they stick. The French government for example is one to have done this.

It doesn't mean it's flattening the curve or curing people as we don't have the data yet to indicate it. I hope that data does show to be the case but, as of now, it's not concrete.

So it's not an actual fact as of yet. Let's hope it becomes one.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I hear Michigan is looking for people.

Cuz dey be dyin’ 

Don’t need to protest it to make it go away.

I believe that the good doctors and scientists of the world will find a way to beat this in good time.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Those treatments though are ones where governments are throwing things at the wall and hoping they stick. The French government for example is one to have done this.

It doesn't mean it's flattening the curve or curing people as we don't have the data yet to indicate it. I hope that data does show to be the case but, as of now, it's not concrete.

So it's not an actual fact as of yet. Let's hope it becomes one.

There is data for treatments out there actually, showing very positives results.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Its a challenge we’re facing but the world has made it through pandemics before with much less knowledge, resources and unity than it has now.

My faith in humanity is indeed rather well exercised.

I’m Canadian, my government makes sure me and all my fellow Canadians don’t go hungry and bankrupt as much as perceivable, scientists are frantically looking for a solution.

And no, there are no treatment available right now. Some are in trial, but nothing confirmed and won’t be confirmed for a long time.

And this thing is rumoured to be mutating every month since at least last September. And that’s an E5, bud.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

There is data for treatments out there actually, showing very positives results.

Show us what no one else is able to show us.

You have time to argue, you have time to prove.

Edited by Me_
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Don’t need to protest it to make it go away.

I believe that the good doctors and scientists of the world will find a way to beat this in good time.

So you have faith in humanity. And that is good.

It is good to be positive. And for that, I thank you.

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

With four billion people in some form of self-isolation and quarantine today, I’d say the world is on fire indeed.

You understand that in the 1918 Spanish flu, the second wave was a greater killer than the first?

And that it took until around 1922-1923 for populations to feel perfectly safe?

YEARS.

My faith in humanity as well as a hope for a quickly found solution is definitely there.

But to think for sure it’ll be done in three months, well, expect the worst and hope for the best.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1