The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Places in Vancouver to buy fresh SE Asian fruits (e.g. mangosteen)

Phil_314

Simple thread, hope it's in the right place...

Does anyone know where to get mangosteen in Greater Vancouver?  Also hopefully wouldn't have to pay the premium that places like Safeway and T&T charged (think it was over $1 each for overripe fruit).  Also heard that there's apparently mangosteen wine as well (as confirmed on Google, but it was a Thai site) so if anyone has any local leads as to where to get these, let me know, thanks!

I would be shocked if you can find fresh mangosteen, rambutans or other fruits native to SE Asia that are much more fresh than what you would find at the larger grocery chains.  You can try some Asian specific markets like Henlong in Surrey or New Pacific Supermarket in Coquitlam (between the two you might have a better chance with Henlong).

Generally speaking, the supply lines for these fruit getting to Vancouver don't seem well established for there to be a reliable fresh supply.  Even when I was in SE Asia, regions that weren't particularly close to where those fruits grew did not always have access to very fresh supply of those fruits.  You could still find fruit that was miles better than what you can find in Vancouver, and sometimes you could find a very fresh batch, but even then it wasn't consistent. 

Anything that would be fresh in Vancouver would need to have been flown over which would limit the amount of fruit that could be transported.  That alone would presumably lead to anything you might find being extremely expensive. 

Still, I'm now also curious if anyone has found anything :).

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, AriGold2.0 said:

I've never even heard of a mangosteen but it looks cool. I must try 1 of these, following for answers.

Looks like an orange.

Ingredient Spotlight: Mangosteen - Isagenix Health

Ditto.

Which part do you eat?  Just the white part?  Or is the pink fleshy part under the rind also edible?

20 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Ditto.

Which part do you eat?  Just the white part?  Or is the pink fleshy part under the rind also edible?

Just the white part, it comes in slices which you can just peel apart like an orange.  
Others may have different opinion but it's got a white wine flavor to me, which was why it was so memorable when I had it in SE Asia.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Just the white part, it comes in slices which you can just peel apart like an orange.  
Others may have different opinion but it's got a white wine flavor to me, which was why it was so memorable when I had it in SE Asia.

i lived off them when i was in laos yum

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

According to their website, Granville Island Market has mangosteens between May and late August, and they are actually flown in, so that might be a good bet, in terms of freshness (probably not gonna be too great on the price, however). They also have litchi, longan, rambutan, sugar apple, rose apple, etc, when in season.

Otherwise, I’d say some of the smaller Asian groceries and fruit markets around town might work, but you kind of have to know somebody, or go every day, and just hope you’re there the day they have what you want, fresh and not already picked over too bad, and at a good price. At least that’s how it goes at my favourite fruit markets, but the hunt is part of the fun sometimes.

My local market, I’ve showed up and asked for something seasonal or exotic and the lady says, “we had them yesterday,” and I’m like, “I was here yesterday morning,” and she’s like, “they came in the afternoon and we sold all them all.” 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

A lot of places have mangosteen it’s what you’re comfortable paying for them. The farmers market in steveston had them for around for around 12.99/lb but they are almost worth it.

if you can make the drive out to Surrey, hen long has them also for around 8-9

• Wat 1

Chinatown.

There's a market behind this Chinese BBQ place on Keefer/Gore. They usually have the exotic south asian fruits. They have rambutans, longans (when in season), lychee, thai bananas, asian pears, snake fruit, and other interesting fruits.

T&T usually does but it's expensive.

Also HMart might carry it too. 

Chong Lee on 47th And Victoria should have those also.

88 Supermarket as well.

Edited by Honeydew
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Also, some of the Chinese fruit/veggie stores in Richmond (Parker Place and Continental are two that come to mind) have mangosteen, longans, lychees, guava, durian, mango, pomelo, and other fruit from the SE Asia area from time to time.  No idea about pricing or when they stock them though.  As tasty and appealing as I find those fruit, they give me nosebleeds unfortunately.

Even PriceSmart in Richmond has mangosteens and most of the other fruits you mention, from time to time, depending on season and availability. I’m sure if one spoke to the produce manager there (and other similar grocery stores that serve a largely Asian customer base), they’d have an idea of when they’re all available.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

I’ve also heard that there are several Etsy shops that offer one or two day air shipping of pretty much any exotic fruit you can imagine. The price would be steep, but they’d probably be extremely fresh and high quality.

This one for example:

https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/GreatPlentifulShopCA

Although $119 for 2.5 lbs of mangosteens seems a little excessive. :blink:

10 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I live pretty close to Chinatown...  I'll try to remember and take a look for you. Never had one before, now I'm intrigued. 

Some of them can be very very sour if not ripen properly :) so make sure you get a ripe one haha

• 3 months later...