The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Getting value out of this year

This year is a dud. Canucks are so far behind they might as well make some trades and play some of the younger kids to give them experience and a larger taste of the league.

Pittsburg gets

Pearson 

Vancouver receives 2021 2nd round pick

Vancouver gives Pearsons minutes to Gaudette and Lind on Horvats wing. Podkolzin steps in next year to take some of the top 6 minutes as well.

Boston gets

Sutter (50% Retained)

Virtanen

3rd

Vancouver gets 

Debrusk

Frederic

Boston improves their bottom 6 and defence with Sutter and gamble on the idea that Virtanen can turn his game around and take Debrusks role. Canucks get a new middle 6 forward with skill and a young defensively minded centre men.

Benn for a 4th at the deadline.

Hogs-Pettersson-Boeser

Miller-Horvat-Lind

Debrusk-Gaudette-MacEwen

Roussel-Beagle-Frederic

1 minute ago, FaninMex said:

Gaudette is terrible. Why would you want him as 3rd center?

Where is Motte?

Who plays PK? You have Beagle, Roussel, Motte and...? Miller and Horvat are already playing way too many minutes.

Motte is hurt. He'd take Frederic or MacEwens spot in the bottom 6.

Gaudette hasn't been that bad in my opinion. He's just being asked to play a style that doesn't suite his game.

Splitting defensive responsibilities among the bottom 3 lines makes the most sense while Pettersson's line gets primary offensive zone start. Keeps those players your referring to fresher. Id also use my 2nd unit power play more often so your not overworking the 1st one.

As for PK Id go with Beagle, Roussel, Motte, Horvat, Miller and MacEwen/Hogz/Gaudette. Split the load and develop some of these younger guys defensive games and penalty kill ability. Its a lost season regardless if a couple more power play goals go in.

2 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Motte is hurt. He'd take Frederic or MacEwens spot in the bottom 6.

Gaudette hasn't been that bad in my opinion. He's just being asked to play a style that doesn't suite his game.

Splitting defensive responsibilities among the bottom 3 lines makes the most sense while Pettersson's line gets primary offensive zone start. Keeps those players your referring to fresher. Id also use my 2nd unit power play more often so your not overworking the 1st one.

As for PK Id go with Beagle, Roussel, Motte, Horvat, Miller and MacEwen/Hogz/Gaudette. Split the load and develop some of these younger guys defensive games and penalty kill ability. Its a lost season regardless if a couple more power play goals go in.

Gaudette has no idea of what the D zone looks like. Gaudette looks good because he is a lot like Mason Raymond. Gets the puck at the red line and breaking in all alone then hits trips on the blue line. Gaudette is a lot of flash but look at his shot. it does not exist.

I know Motte is hurt. I was assuming this trade was going to be around the trade deadline when he will likely be back.

With Green as head coach, look at the players you listed and tell me who Green plays on the PK. Gaudette does not play D or block shots unless it hits him as he stands there. Hogz would be interesting but I do not see Green doing that. MAC has been playing decent and is getting sat. Also, AHL is to develop players not the NHL.

One line offence is not going to get it done. Then look at this year and the Lotto line is just barely starting to get going now. Probably in part because Hogz - Horvat - Pearson have looked like the first line. Imagine when they are the only real threat. They will be shutdown real quick.

The changes aren't enough to improve the team, so I would prefer to play out the year, get a top 5 pick and retool in the offseason.

Definitely need to deal with the bottom 6.  Need a solid (Laughton) 3C and a healthy Ferland/or Ferland like player(Coleman) and a grindy (Goodrow)4th liner.

Hopefully, Podz will be ready next season.

I dream of a Miller   Bo   Podz line at some point.  It looks to be frightening to play against.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

sutter, pearson, edler, benn and hamonic are ufa at season's end. why would we get 2nd round picks for them? all you would trading is their rights.  maybe get 3rd or 4th picks but i doubt it.

i see hawryluk in our bottom 6 and maybe lind, or focht or michaelis., maybe rathbone and chatfield stick around next season as 7th and 8th defencemen.

2 hours ago, AriGold2.0 said:

Taking all offers on the following

Sutter
Pearson
Roussel
Beagle
Virtanen
Gaudette
Eriksson

Edler
Myers
Benn
Hamonic

Holtby

be careful your shipping out 3 centermen, who plays center and if you move on from edler. benn and hamonic, what will our defense look like?

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

sutter, pearson, edler, benn and hamonic are ufa at season's end. why would we get 2nd round picks for them? all you would trading is their rights.  maybe get 3rd or 4th picks but i doubt it.

i see hawryluk in our bottom 6 and maybe lind, or focht or michaelis., maybe rathbone and chatfield stick around next season as 7th and 8th defencemen.

be careful your shipping out 3 centermen, who plays center and if you move on from edler. benn and hamonic, what will our defense look like?

Hey Joe, 

I'm looking past the season. Some FA signings and hopefully Rathbone will be ready to play, he looked great recently. 

I personally see the first year the Canucks can really push forward is 2022/2023.. Alot of big money clears the books IE Luongo, Eriksson etc.

Hog and Pod will be on the ELC and hopefully in the top 6. Just need to responsibly fill the bottom 6 and some defenseman. Getting a good D this draft is imperative.

Hughes, Clarke and Power are the most ideal.

4 hours ago, AriGold2.0 said:

Sutter

Edmonton would be dumb to not pick him up at 50% retained, they can fit that in their LTIR

Pearson

best trade piece for sure 

Roussel
Beagle

maybe salary retained deals? but we'd be adding too 

Virtanen

Rick Dhaliwal is saying there's buzz about Heinen for Virtanen 

Gaudette

not sure what your return would be here? might be worth giving him one more year after an offseason of  proper nutrition and training given his health issues 

Eriksson

sigh 

Edler

Eddie's going nowhere 

Myers

Myers wil be exposed to Seattle 

Benn

sure maybe a 4th from TO?

Hamonic

NMC

Holtby

we need Holtby for expansion 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

10 hours ago, AriGold2.0 said:

Sutter
Pearson
Roussel
Beagle
Virtanen
Gaudette
Eriksson

Edler
Myers
Benn
Hamonic

Holtby

Pretty much.  We need Holtby to expose in expansion, but if we can replace him with a cheaper signed backup who fills those requirements... sure.

Play all the kids for the last hunk of games this season, then rebuild the bottom half of the roster during expansion and in another UFA market where money is tight and there will be deals to be had.

People say our guys don't have value.............here is a snippet of last years TDL

ebruary 16, 2020 To Tampa Bay Lightning

Blake Coleman    3rd line LW Tampa..

36 and 31 pts last 2 years

To New Jersey Devils
Nolan Foote
conditional VAN 1st-round pick in 2020 or
     VAN 1st-round pick in 2021
[327]
February 17, 2020 To Vancouver Canucks

Tyler Toffoli      3rd Line LW Mtl ...

34 and 44 points last 2 years

To Los Angeles Kings
Tim Schaller
Tyler Madden
2nd-round pick in 2020
conditional 4th-round pick in 2022
[328]
February 18, 2020 To New York Rangers
Julien Gauthier
To Carolina Hurricanes
Joey Keane
[329]
February 18, 2020 To Winnipeg Jets     Who? Defensive Defenseman
Dylan DeMelo
To Ottawa Senators
3rd-round pick in 2020
[330]
February 18, 2020 To Washington Capitals

Brenden Dillon*      3rd LHD pairing in Wash

22 and 14 point last 2 seasons

To San Jose Sharks
COL 2nd-round pick in 2020
conditional ARI 3rd-round pick in 2020 or
     WSH 3rd-round pick in 2021
[331]
February 18, 2020

To St. Louis Blues    1st pairing LHD in STL

13 and 13 points the last 2 seasons

Marco Scandella*
To Montreal Canadiens
2nd-round pick in 2020
conditional 4th-round pick in 2021
[33

So please reference the above............

Pearson 2nd LW.......3rd on a good team...............best comparable above Blake Colman.............return was a blue chip prospect and a 1st

Sutter.....Defensive forward....................................Not that far off Blake Colman............................return was a blue chip prospect and a 1st

Benn.......................................................................Brenden Dillon...................................................return 2nd + Conditional 3rd

Harmonic................................................................Marco Scandella................................................return 2nd + Conditional 4th

No retention mentioned!!! It was a Covid year

Now, my point is, even if our players hold a little less value, than the above players, certainly with retention, they must have similar values.............

Do I expect Pearson to bring a blue chip and a 1st.......well hell no.......but a second seems reasonable without retention

Sutter with retention "Should be able to bring a 2nd, you would think?

Benn and Hamonic with retention???? certainly a 2nd or a 3rd

I think we tend to undervalue our players every year.....Sure they are not exact........but come on, they are close

Friggin Benning is trying to get a player for Virtanen........well, it had better be a player that had a decent year last year and is in a down turn this year, or he should just take the picks.............and he should be same age.

Pearson, Sutter, Virtanen and Gaudette could all be traded to bring us some nice pieces. I would hold on to Gaudette though and see what he can do next season or drop him to Utica (he's not really costing us anything) whereas Virtanen has cap and the high 6th overall pricetag weighing over him.

If we can somehow move Roussel too, brilliant.

Might be able to get a decent prospect and 2nd round pick out of that bunch.