The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jeff Skinner for Loui Eriksson (Proposal)

26 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

To be faaaaiiiir.....if we really could jettison Eriksson + Roussel next season, and Seattle picks up Myers...factoring in the $750k cap hit for Skinner next season....below is the kind of roster JB could assemble. Add to that a possible 1st overall (e.g. Owen Power) in our system. Pretty mouthwatering lineup.

Someone mentioned "clean slate" in 2022-23. Well the below roster would give us $23m in cap space for that season alone, with only Boeser and Motte as MUST resign. Edler and Virtanen are optional resigns with that money.

Skinner trade.JPG

Skinner trade 2.JPG

I actually would love to see a Hoglander  - Cozens  - Podkolzin line

So just curious, just because you have allowed yourself to dream

who would you draft with your 2021-1st (Van) (4th OA) and 2021-st (Buff) (8th OA)

2 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

So what about a "super trade" with BUF bringing together the two threads currently out there???.......

To VAN: Eichel, Cozens, BUF 1st 2021, Skinner (will be bought out)

To BUF: Horvat, Miller, VAN 1st 2021, Eriksson, Roussel

VAN lineup next season:

Pettersson Eichel Boeser

Nugent-Hopkins Cozens Podkolzin

Hoglander Lowry Gaudette 

Motte Beagle Virtanen

(MacEwen)

Edler Schmidt

Hughes Savard

Juolevi Tryamkin

(Rathbone)

Demko

(Holtby)

Geez.......you are worse than me.............lol

Keep the thread on point...................at least a little!

PLZ

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I actually would love to see a Hoglander  - Cozens  - Podkolzin line

So just curious, just because you have allowed yourself to dream

who would you draft with your 2021-1st (Van) (4th OA) and 2021-st (Buff) (8th OA)

Haven't done enough research to make a useful comment. But I'd like to see us drafting primarily D men - want to be as rich as Colorado is right now in that dept...

• Cheers 1

Might as well try and give Jeff a chance @4.5 mil for one year before buying him out. Also I doubt they would pay that much to retain salary on Skinner, we would have to take the full 9 mil coming back. And there's no way the 1st is leaving Buffalo considering their record this year.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Ovi one kenobi said:

Might as well try and give Jeff a chance @4.5 mil for one year before buying him out. Also I doubt they would pay that much to retain salary on Skinner, we would have to take the full 9 mil coming back. And there's no way the 1st is leaving Buffalo considering their record this year.

Skinner has 1 point in 16 games this year...he is terrible. To put it in context....Eriksson has 1 point in 5 games

Skinner had 23 points last year and was minus 22.......he sucks, and has an Eriksson contract for 6 more years, which is a factor of 1.5 x 6

So basically 9X as bad as Eriksson's today! Buffalo, will have to pay big, or live with it, the way we did with Eriksson

Even if they buy him out by themselves, it is still 39 Million..................instead of 54 million

It will handcuff Buffalo for all those 6 years

maybe dont make trade proposals this ones the worst one ive ever read am i wrong?  we need to sign petey and hughes to long term exstension at best we can get mill in cap relief sending eriksson to utica     would give  us 27.5 mill in space next yr  before seattle takes a contract off our books as well 

At this point i wouldn't trade LE for Skinner straight up - which i thought was your proposal before reading it - and that it would be a interesting one...i'd be scared JB would actually do this to our team too lol.   When a guy has a career year just his UFA year i'm always scared about taking him - usually means he doesn't play 100% unless his wallet is on the line.    Skinner for sure is a good player over his career, Calder guy - consistent with some injury issues.   Now Buffalo has to live with it.   Okposo did the same thing.   Ugh.   Imagine being a Buffalo fan with Eichel and Dahlin and two anchors like that. 

7 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Skinner has 1 point in 16 games this year...he is terrible. To put it in context....Eriksson has 1 point in 5 games

Skinner had 23 points last year and was minus 22.......he sucks, and has an Eriksson contract for 6 more years, which is a factor of 1.5 x 6

So basically 9X as bad as Eriksson's today! Buffalo, will have to pay big, or live with it, the way we did with Eriksson

Even if they buy him out by themselves, it is still 39 Million..................instead of 54 million

It will handcuff Buffalo for all those 6 years

Imagine signing a 30/30 guy to 9x8 .... just wow.   Wow.   Like WTF...this contract is 3 times worse then LEs, LE career is debatably better then Skinners over the same time period before they were UFAs...could become the worst contract in the history of the NHL.

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Ovi one kenobi said:

If Buffalo could get under Skinners deal for the first overall this year ... they should for sure consider it. 

9 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

To be faaaaiiiir.....if we really could jettison Eriksson + Roussel next season, and Seattle picks up Myers...factoring in the $750k cap hit for Skinner next season....below is the kind of roster JB could assemble. Add to that a possible 1st overall (e.g. Owen Power) in our system. Pretty mouthwatering lineup.

Someone mentioned "clean slate" in 2022-23. Well the below roster would give us $23m in cap space for that season alone (this is when Skinner's buy out is at its highest cap hit of $4.5m), with only Boeser and Motte as MUST resign. Edler and Virtanen are optional resigns with that money.

Skinner trade.JPG

Skinner trade 2.JPG

Curious - if Seattle picks up Myers - who is replacing him?  Think our D is bad this year ... wowzers.   Better ask for Dahlin in this deal somehow.   

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

If Buffalo could get under Skinners deal for the first overall this year ... they should for sure consider it. 

Totally the worst contract, which backfired, terribly. If Skinner would have came out guns a blazing, scoring 100 points a season, then it would have been a good signing.

It does underline the perils of signing long term contracts. Personally, I raised my eye brows when it was signed, as Skinner (IMO) has never been an elite player, merely a 

good, solid 1st line player, yet he was signed to a contract which indicated he was elite. I , at the time I seen him much more an equal of Horvat, quite a difference in pay scale.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Totally the worst contract, which backfired, terribly. If Skinner would have came out guns a blazing, scoring 100 points a season, then it would have been a good signing.

It does underline the perils of signing long term contracts. Personally, I raised my eye brows when it was signed, as Skinner (IMO) has never been an elite player, merely a 

good, solid 1st line player, yet he was signed to a contract which indicated he was elite. I , at the time I seen him much more an equal of Horvat, quite a difference in pay scale.

I think you'd have to believe that Skinner had something left to give at 1/2 retained, which is possible. A 1st and DC is a nice add and thats the kind of deal it will take to dump him. 

It might also be easier for us to flip him at 50% retained to a tanking team for a future 1st rounder as well.

But this deal probably gets Benning fired :lol:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think you'd have to believe that Skinner had something left to give at 1/2 retained, which is possible. A 1st and DC is a nice add and thats the kind of deal it will take to dump him. 

It might also be easier for us to flip him at 50% retained to a tanking team for a future 1st rounder as well.

But this deal probably gets Benning fired :lol:

Yet, I posted this on HF Boards and am getting roasted....lol

I mean Jimmy,  am I wrong for thinking it would cost that much? I personally think it handcuffs for all 6 years, just like Eriksson has done to us.

Am I wrong?

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

Yet, I posted this on HF Boards and am getting roasted....lol

I mean Jimmy,  am I wrong for thinking it would cost that much? I personally think it handcuffs for all 6 years, just like Eriksson has done to us.

Am I wrong?

you're not wrong, Skinners deal, assuming he continues to stink, will end up in the top 10 of worst deals ever. It certainly has that potential.

But you're asking to be a part of it, and holy cow thats one risky move. If DC doesn't work out e.g., eep. Lots of risk here too.

Say hi to Lucky Larry for me while you're over there, ask him to drop me a DM over here. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

sure would be fun to pull up some of those Skinner threads where the highlight reels of these boards were pining to sign the guy....

absolutely no way taking him on makes sense for this franchise.

To be fair, people really REALLY wanted Myers back in the day.

Although at least Myers is playing decent. Skinner seems a lot more volatile with his mental game.

14 minutes ago, The Lock said:

To be fair, people really REALLY wanted Myers back in the day.

Although at least Myers is playing decent. Skinner seems a lot more volatile with his mental game.

To be fair to Myers this comparable doesn't belong in the same post.

He has 12 pts in 26 games.

#2 penalty killing D (and under 50% ozone starts 5on5).

Skinner has 1 pt in 17 games.

including about 25 minutes of powerplay ice time.

$72 million over 8 years.

People were panicking over a 'reported' 50+ million, 7 yr deal to Myers..  It turned out to be 30 over 5.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

To be fair to Myers this comparable doesn't belong in the same post.

He has 12 pts in 26 games.

#2 penalty killing D (and under 50% ozone starts 5on5).

Skinner has 1 pt in 17 games.

including about 25 minutes of powerplay ice time.

$72 million over 8 years.

People were panicking over a 'reported' 50+ million, 7 yr deal to Myers..  It turned out to be 30 over 5.

I heard Milke Futa on the radio the other day discussing Skinner - fwiw according to him Skinner is difficult player for his line mates to mesh with. He didn't really elaborate on the why of it, but he had no idea how Buffalo would be able to move that deal. 

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I heard Milke Futa on the radio the other day discussing Skinner - fwiw according to him Skinner is difficult player for his line mates to mesh with. He didn't really elaborate on the why of it, but he had no idea how Buffalo would be able to move that deal. 

As soon as they signed Hall that left the question open to what would Skinner's role be. However, because of that, perhaps next year Skinner could have a bounce back if Hall doesn't resign and no one else is there to take that 1 or 2 left wing spot from Skinner.

I think that's really what it comes down to. Skinner is probably one of the last people you want to use on the 3rd or 4th line. He's kind of offense or bust; otherwise, we wouldn't be worried as much about his production if he at least came with other abilities. Being paid a 9mil cap hit a year to score means you need to be among the elite, which is a tall order for someone on the 3rd or 4th line.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Yes he for sure looked great his UFA year ... and scored what 40ish goals or something?  He's a winger with a Calder Trophy, injuries were factored into his not matching that season - but he did better two more times with 37 and 40 goals - which is a lot.   To me he's a level down from Patches - who's got leadership, and being a top ten goal scorer throughout his entire career on average and got a 7 x 7 deal i think.   How he got 9 x 8 .... wow Buffalo must have betted on him scoring 35-40 goals for quite some time - and he may still do that, early returns ... well he's looking a lot like the "new" Bobby Ryan plus plus plus.   GMs just won't ever learn.