The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Team wasnt ready from the get go!

Rate this topic

Harold27k

18 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Well, again, if you look at just this year, Torts doesn't look as good, but if you look at how Columbus has done the past couple of years, one could argue Torts has done a lot for Columbus. However, perhaps this should be considered a lesson for us, because what Columbus shows is that a coach can look good one year and look bad the next year, with almost the EXACT same team. So then, what does that tell us about Green, or what does that tell us about coaches in general even?

If we're going to now say Torts is not working in Columbus after the past couple of years of everyone literally praising Torts, that kind of makes this whole thing questionable to me about how a coach is viewed. If we're suddenly good next year and we still have Green. Guess what? Green would get a ton of praise. If the team doesn't do well, Green will get the opposite.

Cooper in Tampa Bay's another example. Everyone wanted him gone when they were swept by Columbus 2 years ago. The next year, he looks like a genious because they win the cup. So what is he? Is he a good coach or a bad coach? If those 2 years were flipped around, would we be saying he's a bad coach now instead of a good coach?

So then I guess the question would be, how much does a coach actually affect the team? Perhaps a coach is just one person on the team just like everyone else and he can only motivate so much when things are not so great. Do we really know? Do we often focus too much on the coach when really blame should be spread out a little more?

Because, ultimately, and honestly, the fact that you're talking about Torts being bad now, after his past couple of years of praise, that's a little alarming to me about just how volatile that position is and just how much tunnel vision we often have regarding coaches.

Well, coaches, unfortunately, have a short shelf life in most cases. The huge trade for Laine didn't seem to spark the team nearly as much as everyone else (including myself) thought it would. It seemed like both players needed a change of scenery.

So I don't know anymore. Green's winning these last few games - and I am still cheering for the Canucks. I haven't been updating my playoff watch thing because the last loss we had was just sad, plus I've been busy. However, unlike other people, I don't want Green to fail fantastically just so I could 'prove a point'.

I do think it's interesting that Montreal/Calgary are within reach, despite them being supposedly better than us, pllus they have our former players. Both of them had roster clearances, and yet they are still in this spot.

Edited by Dazzle

Just now, Dazzle said:

Well, coaches, unfortunately, have a short shelf life in most cases. The huge trade for Laine didn't seem to spark the team nearly as much as everyone else (including myself) thought it would. It seemed like both players needed a change of scenery.

So I don't know anymore. Green's winning these last few games - and I am still cheering for the Canucks.

That's fair. It's probably why I tend to be pretty moderate when it comes to criticizing. A lot of the time, I just don't see the point, although I do understand being frustrated when the going gets tough. The ones I don't get really are the ones who are always pessimistic. I just can't imagine living my life that way and expecting to live to the age of 50 even. lol

I'll always cheer for the Canucks. Right now, I'm looking for work and don't know where I'll be, but even if I'm in another NHL city, I might also cheer for that team (depending on where mind you), but Canucks will always be number 1.

By the way, as far as Laine goes, I actually questioned Laine being able to handle Torts in that trade thread and I got a bit of backlash for it. So there's proof I didn't think that trade would work out for them. lol

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I do think it's interesting that Montreal/Calgary are within reach, despite them being supposedly better than us, pllus they have our former players. Both of them had roster clearances, and yet they are still in this spot.

Just saw this part.

It is definitely interesting. It's why I've taken the Provost threads with a grain of salt really. What I really think it comes down to is how competitive this division is. Someone was going to be on the outside looking in as there were literally 6 teams rather even plus Ottawa. I knew someone wasn't going to be happy basically. lol

• Cheers 1

Problem with this coaching staff if that coaches are really responsible for how a team plays in their own end.. positioning, stick placement, angles on the boards with body positioning etc.. this team isn’t any better in their own end and seems incapable of handling a strong forecheck.  They rely on goaltending to bail them out far too often.  

• Like 1

On 3/16/2021 at 5:15 PM, Me_ said:

The team wasn’t ready from the get go!

And now they’ve won five of their last 6!

:frantic:

Winning a bunch in a row over a couple of weeks still doesn't explain why they had two full straight months of embarrassing results - especially that Month of February where they won just two games, which could possibly be the most disastrous month in hockey history (Someone should check into that BTW).  I know I can't remember ever seing such a single bad month by any NHL team anywhere in my lifetime.  Which leaves us at where we are today, with just a 13.9% chance of making the playoffs as of march 22nd.   I hope the guys pull off a miracle and make the cut but there's no doubt, OUR COACHING STAFF DID NOT PREPARE THE TEAM FOR THIS SEASON.   THEY FAILED - END OF STORY!

10 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Winning a bunch in a row over a couple of weeks still doesn't explain why they had two full straight months of embarrassing results - especially that Month of February where they won just two games, which could possibly be the most disastrous month in hockey history (Someone should check into that BTW).  I know I can't remember ever seing such a single bad month by any NHL team anywhere in my lifetime.  Which leaves us at where we are today, with just a 13.9% chance of making the playoffs as of march 22nd.   I hope the guys pull off a miracle and make the cut but there's no doubt, OUR COACHING STAFF DID NOT PREPARE THE TEAM FOR THIS SEASON.   THEY FAILED - END OF STORY!

Personal speculation ....

I am actually thinking if this is more on Benning's side. I am not pointing the fingers here but I always thought of Benning as an old school GM and someone who doesn't really adapt to new environments like other GM's and maybe he didn't prepare the Organization in dealing with the season at the time of Covid. Being a GM is more than just drafting, trading, or even signing players it's also running the whole organization from top to bottom. Perhaps other GM's were able to adapt to the environment more than Bennning, of course he's still going to follow the proper Covid protocols and measures but it's more about stuff done within the organization.

Perhaps, one example, other GM's were able to implement more ideas to make trainings more effective. Remember Benning isn't really an analytics guy and perhaps the analytical tools and stats give teams a better advantage that use them especially with the Covid measures. 

Somehow I think other GM's are more adaptive than Benning in this front.

Edited by iinatcc
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Cute hyperboles.

Why would anyone do YOUR research.

YOU go find out if it was “the worst month in hockey history” bud. If you’re going to make an argument, YOU do the work. So lazy.

If that is your understanding of such “history”, then you haven’t been a Canucks fan for long.

The Canucks have had atrocious years, and atrocious months of struggle way before you noticed this one odd year.

The Canucks are young and they lost arguably their 1G in Markstrom, and their 1DD in Tanev, and a top flight scorer in Toffoli, and replaced them with Stanley Cup winning 1G in Holtby, VGK’s 1D in Schmidt, and a top 10-15 DD in Harmonic.

Theres also a rookie on the top 6 once again this year.

No preseason to speak of.

Took a bit of time for our team to rebalance itself and find their game.

Should it have been the same team coming out of the gates, we may not be having this stupid conversation. Should it be a normal season and not a once in a century pandemic we may not be having this stupid conversation.

When the billionaire owner of the team comes out and says this season basically doesn’t really count, we really shouldn’t be having this kind of stupid conversation.

But hey... BLAME THE COACHING STAFF FOR EVERYTHING INCLUDING MILLER’S COVID ABSENCE, SCHMIDT’S EARLY STRUGGLES TO ADAPT, HARMONIC’S INJURY AT THE START OF THE SEASON, AND DEMKO’S AND HOLTBY’S STRUGGLES TO FIND THEIR GAME AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, PETTERSSON’S GRINNY NONCHALANCE REGARDING THE CHANGES IN VANCOUVER, WHICH WAS ALSO SEEN IN HORVAT’S FRUSTRATION.

Blame everyone. Destroy everything.

YOU’RE FAILING AT THE GENERAL COMPREHENSION OF WHAT THIS NHL TEAM IS GOING THROUGH, AND YOU’RE SIMPLIFYING MATTERS SO AS TO MAKE THEM FIT YOUR SKEWED NARRATIVE; THE COACHING STAFF FAILED.

The coaches are to blame as much as the players themselves, as well as the GM for making the changes which needed to happen in order to ice a team on time.

Change. It happens all the time.

As a fan, calling the coaches and GM out for FAILING to adapt... you as a fan, you should’ve been able to adapt to the change of your team by now.

7 wins in the last 9 games makes you look like you’re stopped on the side road, with not one skill to change a blown tire, and blaming your girlfriend for it all.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Personal speculation ....

I am actually thinking if this is more on Benning's side. I am not pointing the fingers here but I always thought of Benning as an old school GM and someone who doesn't really adapt to new environments like other GM's and maybe he didn't prepare the Organization in dealing with the season at the time of Covid. Being a GM is more than just drafting, trading, or even signing players it's also running the whole organization from top to bottom. Perhaps other GM's were able to adapt to the environment more than Bennning, of course he's still going to follow the proper Covid protocols and measures but it's more about stuff done within the organization.

Perhaps, one example, other GM's were able to implement more ideas to make trainings more effective. Remember Benning isn't really an analytics guy and perhaps the analytical tools and stats give teams a better advantage that use them especially with the Covid measures. 

Somehow I think other GM's are more adaptive than Benning in this front.

Analytics isn’t helping Benning Draft superstar after superstar after superstar...

Ok maybe a little... but not the main course of the meal.

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, cocanuck said:

Problem with this coaching staff if that coaches are really responsible for how a team plays in their own end.. positioning, stick placement, angles on the boards with body positioning etc.. this team isn’t any better in their own end and seems incapable of handling a strong forecheck.  They rely on goaltending to bail them out far too often.  

Just like the last 20 years.

Normal day at the office.

7 hours ago, Me_ said:

Cute hyperboles.

Why would anyone do YOUR research.

YOU go find out if it was “the worst month in hockey history” bud. If you’re going to make an argument, YOU do the work. So lazy.

If that is your understanding of such “history”, then you haven’t been a Canucks fan for long.

The Canucks have had atrocious years, and atrocious months of struggle way before you noticed this one odd year.

The Canucks are young and they lost arguably their 1G in Markstrom, and their 1DD in Tanev, and a top flight scorer in Toffoli, and replaced them with Stanley Cup winning 1G in Holtby, VGK’s 1D in Schmidt, and a top 10-15 DD in Harmonic.

Theres also a rookie on the top 6 once again this year.

No preseason to speak of.

Took a bit of time for our team to rebalance itself and find their game.

Should it have been the same team coming out of the gates, we may not be having this stupid conversation. Should it be a normal season and not a once in a century pandemic we may not be having this stupid conversation.

When the billionaire owner of the team comes out and says this season basically doesn’t really count, we really shouldn’t be having this kind of stupid conversation.

But hey... BLAME THE COACHING STAFF FOR EVERYTHING INCLUDING MILLER’S COVID ABSENCE, SCHMIDT’S EARLY STRUGGLES TO ADAPT, HARMONIC’S INJURY AT THE START OF THE SEASON, AND DEMKO’S AND HOLTBY’S STRUGGLES TO FIND THEIR GAME AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, PETTERSSON’S GRINNY NONCHALANCE REGARDING THE CHANGES IN VANCOUVER, WHICH WAS ALSO SEEN IN HORVAT’S FRUSTRATION.

Blame everyone. Destroy everything.

YOU’RE FAILING AT THE GENERAL COMPREHENSION OF WHAT THIS NHL TEAM IS GOING THROUGH, AND YOU’RE SIMPLIFYING MATTERS SO AS TO MAKE THEM FIT YOUR SKEWED NARRATIVE; THE COACHING STAFF FAILED.

The coaches are to blame as much as the players themselves, as well as the GM for making the changes which needed to happen in order to ice a team on time.

Change. It happens all the time.

As a fan, calling the coaches and GM out for FAILING to adapt... you as a fan, you should’ve been able to adapt to the change of your team by now.

7 wins in the last 9 games makes you look like you’re stopped on the side road, with not one skill to change a blown tire, and blaming your girlfriend for it all.

While I appreciate all the extraordinary reasons you mentioned why things went disastrous for the team for the first two months, all the other 30 teams were in the same boat in one shape or form.  They still boil down to being excuses but I accept your point of view.

5 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

While I appreciate all the extraordinary reasons you mentioned why things went disastrous for the team for the first two months, all the other 30 teams were in the same boat in one shape or form.  They still boil down to being excuses but I accept your point of view.

No they were not.

Each team has its own problematics to decipher.

Jim Benning did a good job staying afloat during this time in this franchise’s current development stage; maturing our assets.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

13 hours ago, Me_ said:

No they were not.

Each team has its own problematics to decipher.

Jim Benning did a good job staying afloat during this time in this franchise’s current development stage; maturing our assets.

I thought we were talking about your defense of TG.  How did this conversation switch to JB so suddenly???  Well as long as we're now on the subject......As for uncle Jim, we'll have to see what he does in the next month before deadline and if he can control himself and NOT re-sign ANY of the expiring contract players (except our star players - of course) in the off season.  They all have to go (with TG).  Too Old - Too slow and can't score!   Same for next year.  Once that $42M of deadwood/contracts are  freed up JB can really start to make some BIG CHANGES!

• Vintage 1