The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Team wasnt ready from the get go!

Rate this topic

Harold27k

Green refuses to use a timeout when we got blitzed and Demko stood on his head to keep it 1-0 in 1st

Green's player deployment is absolutely horrible, Mikaelis and Hawrluk are not nhl ready, Beagle and Roussel are past their better days and 4/12 forward spots wasted by these 4 guys with zero offensive upside and zero physical factors

We got some gems in Miller/Demko/Pettie/Boeser/Hughes/Horvat/Myers/Edler  but the bottom side of the roster horrible

Look am a bigtime fan but Benning left the bottom 6 with not much depth,Pearson offers little, bring up Cole Lind lets see what he can do, and hopefully Green doesnt get signed beyond this yr his team is soft and his deployment terrible, he needs to go asap

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

23 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Some posters claim I am a Benning fan. I like a lot of his stuff, especially drafting and developing, which has dramatically changed this franchise for the better. That being said, I've been adamant that keeping WD and TG (and staff) is something that he should get his ass lit for.

The worst part is that TG has a far more talented roster than WD ever did, and yet...

TG (114-118)

https://www.hockey-reference.com/coaches/greentr01c.html

vs.

WD (136-144)

https://www.hockey-reference.com/coaches/desjawi99c.html

:|

yea Willie D didn't have a Petey, Brock, Quin and Demko. He had Megna, Vey, Chapoo lol

25 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

yea Willie D didn't have a Petey, Brock, Quin and Demko. He had Megna, Vey, Chapoo lol

He also had the twins,  burrows and Hansen still. Granted , he had them at the tail end of their careers,  but they were still good players. Not a great roster,  but not a horrible one either. 

Horvat , tanev , hamuis, bieksa, Edler, bonino , hell even dorsett.  He also had Miller and Markstrom.  Miller played very well when he was here. I'd say better then demko /Holtby at the time. He had a decent roster. 

Edited by cuporbust
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Harold27k said:

Green refuses to use a timeout when we got blitzed and Demko stood on his head to keep it 1-0 in 1st

Green's player deployment is absolutely horrible, Mikaelis and Hawrluk are not nhl ready, Beagle and Roussel are past their better days and 4/12 forward spots wasted by these 4 guys with zero offensive upside and zero physical factors

We got some gems in Miller/Demko/Pettie/Boeser/Hughes/Horvat/Myers/Edler  but the bottom side of the roster horrible

Look am a bigtime fan but Benning left the bottom 6 with not much depth,Pearson offers little, bring up Cole Lind lets see what he can do, and hopefully Green doesnt get signed beyond this yr his team is soft and his deployment terrible, he needs to go asap

Could not disagree more. Michaelis and Hawrluk have been bright spots. Do you even watch bro?

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Some posters claim I am a Benning fan. I like a lot of his stuff, especially drafting and developing, which has dramatically changed this franchise for the better. That being said, I've been adamant that keeping WD and TG (and staff) is something that he should get his ass lit for.

The worst part is that TG has a far more talented roster than WD ever did, and yet...

TG (114-118)

vs.

WD (136-144)

How many rounds did WD win? Oh whats that? none? Oh ok. Dont tell me that argument isnt good enough

we use it against the Leafs all the time.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

4 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

Could not disagree more. Michaelis and Hawrluk have been bright spots. Do you even watch bro?

Not quite as sold on Michaelis but Hawyrluk looks to be a really hard working guy who uses his body.  He seems tentative with the puck but that is just rust I Imagine.  Nice to have a real energy guy in the bottom six.

• Cheers 1

Do we really need a thread after every loss as to why the sky is falling and thinly - if at all - veiled thread as to why TG "isn't an NHL coach and never will be an NHL coach".   Come on.   The team has 12 million in cap sitting on the bench.  And another 4 or so in overpayments on the roster.   

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, Dazzle said:

TG (114-118)

vs.

WD (136-144)

Rather use WD stats when he was coaching in Vancouver and not his overall stats when he also coached in L.A.

Willie Desjardins (109-110)

Vs

Travis Green (114-119)

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Do we really need a thread after every loss as to why the sky is falling and thinly - if at all - veiled thread as to why TG "isn't an NHL coach and never will be an NHL coach".   Come on.   The team has 12 million in cap sitting on the bench.  And another 4 or so in overpayments on the roster.   

Really? Come on man 3 years straight and this team is still relying on the goalies to bail them out to stay into games because the system is garbage, how long are you going to continue to accept this crap?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bell said:

Not quite as sold on Michaelis but Hawyrluk looks to be a really hard working guy who uses his body.  He seems tentative with the puck but that is just rust I Imagine.  Nice to have a real energy guy in the bottom six.

Too bad we didn't start Holtby with the team playing peewee hockey in front of their own net.  Without Demko the Habs could have been in double digits with the elite scoring chances they had all night.  Demko's numbers get inflated because of the poor play in front of him.

Question:  What is with the Canuck players not having the ability to shoot the puck out of their own end of the ice?   It is as if their sticks are made from limp spaghetti.  Numerous times the Canuck players had the chance to clear the puck only to put it on the sticks of the Hab players waiting at the blueline. And Miller, again he looks lost at times out there.  Passing the puck directly to the opposition and making bonehead decisions, turning back into his own zone when he is a foot from his blueline.  Even peewee players know how to dump the puck out over their lines when pressured.  

Finally, maybe Benning should sign some players who can actually skate with the puck and with some speed.  It seemed like every Hab could out skate even our few quick players.  We have too many cruisers and slugs on the ice.

• Cheers 1

Michaelis is  a floater, too small for bottom 6. He needs to be in Utica paying his dues. Roussel has been almost invisible. He has his moments but they are few and far between.  

Mac needs more ice time. Bring up Lind or Gadz for a look.

• Like 1
  • RoughGame 1

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

lol don't confuse my lamenting on silly threads after every loss for acceptance.  If you really want to know my line in the sand is this year - i've already stated this in other threads but don't expect anyone to remember things about what anyone says either.   To me TG isn't perfect - neither is any coach (good ones get fired too) - he's had just over one full season with a decent roster to work with and hasn't sh!t the bed as bad as some think he has.   For sure he needs to take responsibility for not having the troops ready this year.   And needs to earn an extension at this point - which i suggested would be playoffs this year or very close at least.   Too many posters think we have a great roster now - we simply do not.   We have a young roster - going through growing pains - with 12 million in cap sitting on the bench.   I'm fine with change - i'm also fine with TG earning a contract too.   

Have to weigh realism with expectations no?  It's tiresome defending this team - anyone can just say " I demand the best of the best of the best" and decide that makes it ok to spam the site with a ton of crap too.   Delusional.   Maybe i preach patience more then some can stand - too bad - it is what it is, it could be worse - a lot worse. 

Okay fair enough he needs to earn it, but when I see the same crap for 3 years straight of the same system, having your goalies bail out your team more than 50% of the time throughout a season just to have a chance and steal you games you had no business winning, he's had plenty of time to earn it and he's failed miserably with the same stuff happening for the last 3 years.

It could be worse... It could better much better. 

You really think a coach like AV would of struggled for this many years with the players Green has coached? Even when the Canucks had no expectations to win a coach like AV got them to win his system proved to work, Greens system has proved not to work. 

And btw I never liked AV :lol: but I acknowledge later his system worked the players bought in and it worked, even if Gillis told him to coach more offensively eventually:lol:(that was the rumor back then), but Greens system has showed no promise. The one thing I'll give you a little leeway on is the cap thing for this year, but that doesn't work for the previous years unfortunately. 

• Cheers 1

On 3/11/2021 at 5:21 PM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

You really think a coach like AV would of struggled for this many years with the players Green has coached? Even when the Canucks had no expectations to win a coach like AV got them to win his system proved to work, Greens system has proved not to work. 

When did AV get the Canucks to win when they had no expectation to win? He always had a pretty strong roster to work with and had time for the WCE era to hand off the reigns to the Sedin era with some crossover.  After the last cup run to the finals he couldn't get a playoff series win after leading the league in the regular season.