The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Panthers trade Vinnie Hinostroza to Blackhawks for Brad Morrison

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

Not really. A retread is a retread.

I would take him over Linden Vey, Michael Chaput, Jayson Megna, Jack Skille, Emerson Etem, Adam Cracknell, Brendan Gaunce, Nikolay Goldobin, and Reid Boucher,   any day. All of these ex-Canucks have played over 100 games in the NHL (similar to Hinostroza) and they are all far worse statistically AND none of them are NHL players now.  

So no, a retread is not a retread.

How fast are we forgetting the dark days after the Sedins were in decline, along with this team. 

I watched this happen in the late 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's and post 2015. 

We now have something to build again. I am just as excited as early 80's, early 90's, early 2000's and mid 2000's about this team. We are rising again soon.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

6 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

I would take him over Linden Vey, Michael Chaput, Jayson Megna, Jack Skille, Emerson Etem, Adam Cracknell, Brendan Gaunce, Nikolay Goldobin, and Reid Boucher,   any day. All of these ex-Canucks have played over 100 games in the NHL (similar to Hinostroza) and they are all far worse statistically AND none of them are NHL players now.  

So no, a retread is not a retread.

How fast are we forgetting the dark days after the Sedins were in decline, along with this team. 

I watched this happen in the late 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's and post 2015. 

We now have something to build again. I am just as excited as early 80's, early 90's, early 2000's and mid 2000's about this team. We are rising again soon.

So you're going to name a bunch of random ex-Canucks as reason to like the guy over our "retreads"? Doesn't exactly prove Dazzle wrong to be honest. All you've really done is name a bunch of players and expect that to mean something.

Quick Edit: I really wish people would actually give off legitimate reasons for things compared with what you're providing. I really do. I'm seriously fine with criticizing, but listing off a bunch of players without much further context is just silly at best.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, The Lock said:

So you're going to name a bunch of random ex-Canucks as reason to like the guy over our "retreads"? Doesn't exactly prove Dazzle wrong to be honest. All you've really done is name a bunch of players and expect that to mean something.

Quick Edit: I really wish people would actually give off legitimate reasons for things compared with what you're providing. I really do. I'm seriously fine with criticizing, but listing off a bunch of players without much further context is just silly at best.

Ok sorry it upset you. I feel it was a legitimate point. Have a good night.

11 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Ok sorry it upset you. I feel it was a legitimate point. Have a good night.

I think by "retread" they meant "Second or more time through Chicago"

In that context 

retreads in Canuckville that I can think or include:

Schmautzy

Snepsts

Sopel

Sanderson

Joseph

Baumgartner

MacIlhargy

Clarke

Brown

Linden

Benning

Quinn

not a large list but most of our current or recent managment group

and that is over 50 years, Chicago probably hes that many players currently

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, lmm said:

I think by "retread" they meant "Second or more time through Chicago"

In that context 

retreads in Canuckville that I can think or include:

Schmautzy

Snepsts

Sopel

Sanderson

Joseph

Baumgartner

MacIlhargy

Clarke

Brown

Linden

Benning

Quinn

not a large list but most of our current or recent managment group

and that is over 50 years, Chicago probably hes that many players currently

Off the top of my head....Dunc Wilson too.  There must be others.  Just need a few minutes to think....

• Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Off the top of my head....Dunc Wilson too.  There must be others.  Just need a few minutes to think....

I am sure there are more, but some teams seem to do it much more than we do.

the Canucks seem to have an "I'll drive him to the airport" mentality

which is funny because we later want to add them to the wall of fame or retire their number

Pavel Bure comes to mind as a most awkward ceremony 

2 minutes ago, lmm said:

I am sure there are more, but some teams seem to do it much more than we do.

the Canucks seem to have an "I'll drive him to the airport" mentality

which is funny because we later want to add them to the wall of fame or retire their number

Pavel Bure comes to mind as a most awkward ceremony 

The way I'd like to see us doing this more is by trading some of our pending UFA's who don't actually want to be traded at the TDL, then signing them back again in the summer.  This seems like a great strategy to me, but still one that rarely happens, especially (if ever) here.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

The way I'd like to see us doing this more is by trading some of our pending UFA's who don't actually want to be traded at the TDL, then signing them back again in the summer.  This seems like a great strategy to me, but still one that rarely happens, especially (if ever) here.

I think that there is this mentality that we "Must win every trade"

and that we "Must wring every last drop of usefulness" out of every player before parting with them

this is very prevailent among posters, but I also feel it from management

Other teams seem to deal with players as assets.

"We needed a R shot D so we traded player X"

it does not involve team ego or the outgoing player letting the GM/coach down

player X can then be brought back without shame.

Canuckville is different

if Loui or Jake get traded we could run a lottery  for the right to "Drive them to the airport and tell them what a POS they are as player and human"

Over in the Pearson thread, I am discussing whether he should be traded or re-upped

I thnik trade other poster says sign for 3 years

IMO 3 years takes Pearson right to the cusp of uselessness, but posters often reply with"but 90 %of 3rd round picks never play in the NHL"

the oximoron is that we have a GM that is supposed to be able to find players in any round, but to trade a player for a pick is met with the above stat.

5 hours ago, lmm said:

I think that there is this mentality that we "Must win every trade"

and that we "Must wring every last drop of usefulness" out of every player before parting with them

this is very prevailent among posters, but I also feel it from management

Other teams seem to deal with players as assets.

"We needed a R shot D so we traded player X"

it does not involve team ego or the outgoing player letting the GM/coach down

player X can then be brought back without shame.

Canuckville is different

if Loui or Jake get traded we could run a lottery  for the right to "Drive them to the airport and tell them what a POS they are as player and human"

Over in the Pearson thread, I am discussing whether he should be traded or re-upped

I thnik trade other poster says sign for 3 years

IMO 3 years takes Pearson right to the cusp of uselessness, but posters often reply with"but 90 %of 3rd round picks never play in the NHL"

the oximoron is that we have a GM that is supposed to be able to find players in any round, but to trade a player for a pick is met with the above stat.

I’m so torn on Pearson he is a good but very streaky player, not sure what his value is right now in a trade especially given the circumstances, but also don’t want us to commit to re-upping him any more than 1-2 years either. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

5 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Hey check out Dunc's stats the second time around

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=5752

58 goals against and 2 saves

he musta just come back to retire as a Canuck but the Zamboni guy wasn't available 

for 17 games

ouch

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

We never reacquired those players, not sure you know what retread means

They were retreads @canuck73_3 based on the original post. Please read my post that was the response to @Dazzle My point was clear, please tell me what confusion it created? We never reacquired Vinny either.