The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Real reason for picking up Madison Bowey, not what you think. And a Clarification

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

If you look at that list of unprotected and add Gaudette to it, It looks better to Seattle than with no Gaud.

I think Gaud became a casualty of the expansion draft. So instead of losing him for nothing JB pulled off the best he could and I really do think there wasn't much of a market for him.

People could argue that he could have done something last offseason but if he ended up being good that would have been a bad trade.

1 minute ago, Petey_BOI said:

true story.

seattle could pick ovechkin, D.Hamilton.

there's lots of quality UFA's, but from my understanding they have 48 hour window to agree to a deal before the draft occurs.

true but only a certain amount

According to Capfriendly

Expansion team must select a minimum of 20 players who are under contract for the 2021-22 season.

Which means they could pick 10 UFA if crazy enough or some UFA and some RFA, RFA would be easier to retain

6 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

I’m protecting Lind before Virtanen personally.  
But the Bowey thing makes sense. 

Lind is a RFA so it gets tricky for Seattle to pick him.

But by picking him Seattle would own his rights and he would sign with them. So it is a bet by all GMs and Seattle GM Lind is unproven so Seattle GM takes a risk. The other GMs have to protect proven players or risk losing the proven player. Also is there better RFAs for Seattle to pick I think so. 

1 minute ago, Phil_314 said:

Exactly.  Virtanen should not be an automatic protect, he's proven nothing this season besides his inconsistency.

Virtanen is a more proven player.

There are better RFAs for Seattle to pick. Seattle is limited to how many UFA and RFAs they can protect

• Haha 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

I'm ready to drive him to the airport.  Got a ton of time in the top 6 due to injuries and did nothing with it.  I've been supportive of him during his entire time here but I'd rather have the cap space than Jake next year.

True he got time in the top 6 

True he got time in the top 6 well the team was playing bad.

He is not a game changer but he is worth more than nothing

Lind has proven nothing

• Sad 1

Just now, Arrow 1983 said:

True he got time in the top 6 

True he got time in the top 6 well the team was playing bad.

He is not a game changer but he is worth more than nothing

Lind has proven nothing

He's proven he's earned a shot.  What exactly does Virtanen do that you want to put him in the lineup to let him do it? 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Leaving Lind exposed would be like throwing away a 1st round pick. Benning would have taken Lind with a late 1st had he had one in 2017. No way he lets Seattle take him...

he is 22 and never played an NHL game 

Green is willing to let young guys play Hoglander 

But Lind I guess Green does not like him, or Lind has not shown Green a reason to put him in the line up

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He's proven he's earned a shot.  What exactly does Virtanen do that you want to put him in the lineup to let him do it? 

I am not a Virtanen fan but I think he is worth something. I would not want to see him go for nothing

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I think Virtanen is a legit 3rd line forward. Even a good fill in on the second line when injures occur. I am throwing this year of stats away for most of the Canucks including Hughes massive Minus, this is not the year to be grading players.

Til Lind proves he is worth more than Virtanen. Virtanen is the greater asset it really is that simple.

10 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I agree he has earned a shot. Hoping to see him this season. but he did not even make the taxi squad.

3 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Til Lind proves he is worth more than Virtanen. Virtanen is the greater asset it really is that simple.

Lind has proven to be worth more than Virtanen solely by virtue of not being Virtanen.  Jake's played himself out of the lineup, doesn't hit, doesn't score, doesn't backcheck hard, doesn't go hard to the net, doesn't stick up for teammates.  What the hell does he actually DO other than waste valuable cap space?

3 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I agree he has earned a shot. Hoping to see him this season. but he did not even make the taxi squad.

Because the team wanted him to play big minutes in the AHL.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 3