The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Seth Jones to test FA

2 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

We literally are not allowed to do that tho lol

Not before the trade of course but there would have to be some sort of an agreement that he will extend his contract with us once he is officially a Canuck.  Backroom deals happen all the time.

51 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Adam Larsson isn't even in the same stratosphere as Seth Jones...

Agreed completely, BUT...

1) Larsson would be a completely free asset

2) Larsson would be significantly cheaper as far as AAV goes.

3) Trading for a guy like Seth Jones, right now, would likely cost you Horvat or Boeser as a starting point.

Given all of this, I would argue that Larsson would be the better cost effective investment.    

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Fair enough but my concern wouldn’t be what you or I think, it’s how his teammates would feel about him.

Depends how political the players are. Be sad if you cant be respectful to your teammate regardless what side you are politically.

1 minute ago, Patel Bure said:

Agreed completely, BUT...

1) Larsson would be a completely free asset

2) Larsson would be significantly cheaper as far as AAV goes.

3) Trading for a guy like Seth Jones, right now, would likely cost you Horvat or Boeser as a starting point.

Given all of this, I would argue that Larsson would be the better cost effective investment.    

Those things are all true but you don't just sign a guy because he is cheap and free.  Is Larsson actually going to help this team?  Is he a big upgrade on Hamonic?  I don't think so.

You have to give to get.  Benning isn't going to trade Horvat or Boeser as he would be plugging one hole and opening up another.  If Jones isn't going to re-sign in Columbus then they have no choice but to trade him.  His trade value has already dropped as of today and will get worse as we get closer to next year's trade deadline.  They would need to get something for him.  Also, a team wouldn't be giving up major assets for him unless they feel they can re-sign him, so alot of teams may not bother to trade for him and some won't have the assets to trade for him or the cap space.

I believe the Canucks do have the assets to trade for him and will have millions of dollars of cap space next summer. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Sounds like a bunch of malarky!!

Seth Jones shares the same agent as Petey and Huggy.  If you think Benning can't get some type of assurances that Jones will re-sign with Vancouver from Pat Brisson after he re-signs two of his other star clients this summer then I don't know what to tell you.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Seth Jones shares the same agent as Petey and Huggy.  If you think Benning can't get some type of assurances that Jones will re-sign with Vancouver from Pat Brisson after he re-signs two of his other star clients this summer then I don't know what to tell you.  

Sounds risky (eye balls)

10 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Depends how political the players are. Be sad if you cant be respectful to your teammate regardless what side you are politically.

That’s why I recommended the club does it’s due diligence. If the other players don’t care then neither do I. If they do care then he’s not a good fit.

I realize that Seth Jones is a franchise type defence man and he fills a need in our lineup.   

With the flat cap - it would probably be more prudent to first, hire a coaching staff that is (at the very least) capable of building an effective defensive system - despite the talent level before commiting to a player; and ending up with a Schmidt type situation: Vegas vs Greens system.   Also, Jones probably benefitted a great deal with Torts defensive system.

Not confident that this current staff is capable of building a system that doesn't depend on stellar goaltending every night or (at best) a system that is suited for playoff hockey - hope I am wrong cause even a talented player if misused and inserted in a scheme that doest fit his style will struggle.

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

I realize that Seth Jones is a franchise type defence man and he fills a need in our lineup.   

With the flat cap - it would probably be more prudent to first, hire a coaching staff that is (at the very least) capable of building an effective defensive system - despite the talent level before commiting to a player; and ending up with a Schmidt type situation: Vegas vs Greens system.   Also, Jones probably benefitted a great deal with Torts defensive system.

Not confident that this current staff is capable of building a system that doesn't depend on stellar goaltending every night or (at best) a system that is suited for playoff hockey - hope I am wrong cause even a talented player if misused and inserted in a scheme that doest fit his style will struggle.

Yeah we give up way to many shots. Lets go after vegas defensive coach whoever that is after they are booted out of the playoffs by colorado. 

11 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Yeah we give up way to many shots. Lets go after vegas defensive coach whoever that is after they are booted out of the playoffs by colorado. 

Yeah, Schmidt has first hand experience of both systems and his play in Greens system - says alot (perhaps the main reason for his request to get traded - if true). 

Not confident in this coaching staff to build a competent system that doesn't depend on stellar goaltending.   JB will have the hard task in this offseason, to find a player that fit (perfectly) in Greens system rather than a coach that is capable of maximizing any given roster despite the talent.

I get it - the ink is dry and I hope he doesn't let JBs' down by employing the same strategies.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

3 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, Schmidt has first hand experience of the both systems and his play in Greens system - says alot (perhaps the main reason for his request to get traded - if true).  Not confident in this coaching staff to build a competent system and JB will have the hard in this offseason, to find a player that fit (perfectly) in Greens system rather than a coach adjusting to maximize a roster and give it an identity.  

I get it - the ink is dry and I hope he doesn't let JBs' down by employing the same strategies.

Benning has already said that none of that is true. That was just the trolls on here being trolls

As for those talking about backroom deals, teams can give permission to talk to one of their players to facilitate a trade.

• Upvote 1