The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on Sportsnet 650 with Halford & Brough - June 24, 2021

Rate this topic

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

3 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

He turned down a 5 year 30 mill deal before the season started. Not sure why it would be less now after the playoffs hes had.

Interesting, wasn't aware of that. Offensively his production has actually dropped off compared to the last couple of seasons. Odd that he would turn it down as he doesn't seem anywhere near that kind of value especially in the flat cap world.

We have three really good centres, who each offer different skill sets.  We need to pair them with a winger and then fill in the other spots.

Petey and Bess 

Bo and Hogs

Miller and Pods

who are our other wingers we can slot in?

Pearson

Motte

Rooster

Jake

Highmore

Lind

Gadjovic

?

?

could Gads play 5 on 5 minutes with one of those pairs?  

6 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Interesting, wasn't aware of that. Offensively his production has actually dropped off compared to the last couple of seasons. Odd that he would turn it down as he doesn't seem anywhere near that kind of value especially in the flat cap world.

Id rather us go after tiereny from ottawa or something close. 1 year left on his deal. Known to be a good pk guy has scored decent points in his career, or even maybe janmark who we could sign for maybe 2 years at under 2 mill.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Id rather us go after tiereny from ottawa or something close. 1 year left on his deal. Known to be a good pk guy has scored decent points in his career, or even maybe janmark who we could sign for maybe 2 years at under 2 mill.

Perfectly fine with those options as well.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

think, three balanced scoring lines, where on any given night any line can be #1 petey, bo and jt centering the three lines. we need two in your face wingers. we shouldn't be settling for less.

See, this is what I mean... That's unrealistic IMO. Even the cup final teams don't have 3 lines that 'can be the first line on any given night'. Maybe two lines (which we arguably already have/are building on/developing) and a very good 3rd, sure.

I'm not saying we shouldn't strive for better offense from our bottom 6 (we DO need improvement there) but there's going to be a drop off in scoring from the first to the third line any way you slice it. No team has 3 'first lines''. Toronto is probably the closest and they're perennial first round golfers. And that third line has to have at least a couple players that are more geared towards defensive/two way play or you simply don't have the depth to PK, play hard minutes, shut down a game with the lead, play in the playoffs when whistles go away and defense wins cups etc.

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

The idea of trying to poach a role playing guy coming off a huge playoff run to come to a bottom place team seems destined to be a bad contract.

We need to look trade / guys looking to bounce back if we want to find a 3C or wait until our team has a more respectable season and becomes a bit more desireable for UFAs looking to win.

Yeah, I don't want to buy high as you stated. I really like Jenner as a 3C option for us. He's coming off a bad year, on team that looks like they're re-something bound, expiring UFA in one year and they can't protect both him and the younger, cheaper, recently extended Stenlund in the ED. Seems ripe for the plucking and brings good size, grit, two way/defensive ability etc. 

Roussel + some futures....?

Edited by aGENT
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Philip Danault is way to expensive for us plus could you imagine us canuck fans being comfortable paying this guy 5-6 mill to not score? 

Danault has scored 5 goals the entire year including 3 playoff rounds so far. I highly doubt he gets $5-6 million on the open market. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm not saying we shouldn't strive for better offense from our bottom 6 (we DO need improvement there) but there's going to be a drop off in scoring from the first to the third line any way you slice it. No team has 3 'first lines''. Toronto is probably the closest and they're perennial first round golfers. And that third line has to have at least a couple players that are more geared towards defensive/two way play or you simply don't have the depth to PK, play hard minutes, shut down a game with the lead, play in the playoffs when whistles go away and defense wins cups etc.

what wins cups right now is 5 on 5 play, the canucks were one of the worst in that category. Montreal was second in 5vs5 scoring this year, last year tampa was 1st

Just now, Petey_BOI said:

what wins cups right now is 5 on 5 play, the canucks were one of the worst in that category. Montreal was second in 5vs5 scoring this year, last year tampa was 1st

its also why i want beagle gone. b eags can't keep up with teams 3rd scoring lines let alone there top two. and 6 goals in his last 3 years YIKES!

1 minute ago, Petey_BOI said:

Solid goaltending and tight checking, positionally sound, and physical defense are vital.

• Vintage 1

Just now, Petey_BOI said:

So are 3 scoring lines we cant be chasing all night. myers shift clock says hello

The chasing of the scoring lines was due to inadequate defensive structures that will no longer be the norm under Brad Shaw. While 5 on 5 play is great and all, without great goaltending and defense, you ain't winning squat.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The chasing of the scoring lines was due to inadequate defensive structures that will no longer be the norm under Brad Shaw. While 5 on 5 play is great and all, without great goaltending and defense, you ain't winning squat.

we have a great goaltender and i believe in holtby getting his game back. our structure does need improvement, but we need players that can score and drive a offense. we need at least a playmakier and a scorer (i dont care how they score) on the third line. i was hoping for grigorenko but he ran off to khl for more money.

17 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

Sure.

And one of the two things you need to do to win that battle is not let the other team score as much as you do. AKA - play defense.

Both Tampa and Montreal are VERY good at limiting opposition chances. Good defense leads to more offense. Play good defense, get the puck back, go play offense.

Too many of you are ignoring that side of the equation.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Sure.

And one of the two things you need to do to win that battle is not let the other team score as much as you do. AKA - play defense.

Both Tampa and Montreal are VERY good at limiting opposition chances. Good defense leads to more offense. Play good defense, get the puck back, go play offense.

Too many of you are ignoring that side of the equation.

are YOU ignoring the fact that montreal and tampa have 3 scoring lines? 

29 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Danault has scored 5 goals the entire year including 3 playoff rounds so far. I highly doubt he gets $5-6 million on the open market. 

Makes one wonder how MON is in the finals with such an offensive black hole as Danault playing so many key minutes...

:bigblush:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

we have a great goaltender and i believe in holtby getting his game back. our structure does need improvement, but we need players that can score and drive a offense. we need at least a playmakier and a scorer (i dont care how they score) on the third line. i was hoping for grigorenko but he ran off to khl for more money.

I feel pretty confident in saying that Shaw will have a profound influence on the way the Canucks play defense, and if Benning can do well in the offseason in the acquisition of some more stalwart defenders, Vancouver will be a much nastier piece of business in their own end. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

are YOU ignoring the fact that montreal and tampa have 3 scoring lines? 

Are you ignoring that  Dannault has 5 goals and plays 17-18 minutes a night?

Edit:

Actually closer to 19 minutes in these playoffs.

Edited by aGENT

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

I feel pretty confident in saying that Shaw will have a profound influence on the way the Canucks play defense, and if Benning can do well in the offseason in the acquisition of some more stalwart defenders, Vancouver will be a much nastier piece of business in their own end. 

I agree that Shaw looks like he will improve the D, and he'll be leaned on heavily. I hope they can re-sign Hamonic, and also another big physical Dman.

• Vintage 1