The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(proposal) Van & NYI..Would U?

11 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

just a stat: Quinn was - 24 in plus/minus last season. Only two players were even worse in Savard (CBJ/TBL) with -27  and Rasmus Dahlin (BUF) with -36. Quinn's defensive defencies are obvious.

- 24 that's almost Gudbranson like ::D.

I would move on and would try to get a more well rounded D-Man. Dobson would be great, but I doubt Lou would bite. Lou is one of the best GM's in this league. He wouldn't add a player like Quinn to this Islanders team.

Guess we should have ‘moved on’ from Horvat after the year he was -35......

• Upvote 1

Thanks for lots of interesting replies. Just tried to throw a proposal out there that'd prompt discussion. Still pretty pleased with our youth, & convinced we need to apply the patient 'long game' approach to maximize success.

Final point is I hear Quinn, Brock & EP are pretty tight. If these youngins' are all-in & willing to accept reasonable salary, then we'd best ride their wave.

But sure as Hell don't wanna' wind up with Hogtown's scenario, seeing tragic proportions of team AAV wrapped up in young RFA's. Gotta' heed that colossal-cautionary!

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

On 6/26/2021 at 2:42 AM, King Heffy said:

I personally wanted Dobson in the draft.  I'd do it, especially with the emergence of Rathbone.

I wanted Bouchard or Dobson too.  But i also wanted Glass or Valardi, and if we won the lotto we'd probably have Patrick or Hirschier.   That said trading for Dobson is something i'd for sure consider, as you mentioned we already have Rathbone who looks like Stecher plus plus.   And i can't see us winning anything with OJ, QHs and Rathbone unless our right sized was all monster sized.   Schmidt is just as fast but as good on his edges and also not really big either (if he plays Edlers spot).   Watching MTL D grind away at another big team in Vegas .... well let's just say thinking outside the box isn't a bad thing. 

On 6/26/2021 at 12:26 PM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Good luck getting a legit #1D though.  Aren't 30 of them in the entire league & the ones that have them will only deal them by being paid a king's ransom.

To me legit #1 Ds do it all, PP, PK and defend against the best night in night out, 24-26 minutes a game.  Josi, Keith, Suter, Weber, Hedman, AP, Hamilton types (in their prime anyways).   The only one we've ever had was probably Jovo for a couple of his years with us.     And your right there probably isn't 30 in the league at any given time, more like 15.  

That said PMD is a relatively new concept or a rover, even though they've existed for a long time, they have been in vogue since Subban won his Norris and the modern rules can into affect.   We've got the best of the bunch probably right now in QHs, and in five years he could be winning trophies himself.   Brian Campell gives me a ton of hope, same size, rougher back then, and could control the pace of an entire game or even series.    If QHs can learn to play the game the way he did, and put up points he will be a force of nature and end up in the HHOF.   Chelios wasn't big either, but got his junkyard dog nickname for a reason, fearless and an animal in the gym.   Keith-lite is also a possibility.    But he won't be a true number one if he's not killing penalties too.    

44 minutes ago, IBatch said:

To me legit #1 Ds do it all, PP, PK and defend against the best night in night out, 24-26 minutes a game.  Josi, Keith, Suter, Weber, Hedman, AP, Hamilton types (in their prime anyways).   The only one we've ever had was probably Jovo for a couple of his years with us.     And your right there probably isn't 30 in the league at any given time, more like 15.  

That said PMD is a relatively new concept or a rover, even though they've existed for a long time, they have been in vogue since Subban won his Norris and the modern rules can into affect.   We've got the best of the bunch probably right now in QHs, and in five years he could be winning trophies himself.   Brian Campell gives me a ton of hope, same size, rougher back then, and could control the pace of an entire game or even series.    If QHs can learn to play the game the way he did, and put up points he will be a force of nature and end up in the HHOF.   Chelios wasn't big either, but got his junkyard dog nickname for a reason, fearless and an animal in the gym.   Keith-lite is also a possibility.    But he won't be a true number one if he's not killing penalties too.    

Jovocop was mean hombre if sufficiently provoked as Adam Deadmarsh found out (that was was never I think the same after fighting Jovo).  Yeah he had some defensive weaknesses (but imho, that was more a reflection of the Marc Crawford "offensive system").  Didn't Jovo hold his own against the Legion of Doom line back when he was a Panther in that Flyers-Panthers playoff series?

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Jovocop was mean hombre if sufficiently provoked as Adam Deadmarsh found out (that was was never I think the same after fighting Jovo).  Yeah he had some defensive weaknesses (but imho, that was more a reflection of the Marc Crawford "offensive system").  Didn't Jovo hold his own against the Legion of Doom line back when he was a Panther in that Flyers-Panthers playoff series?

Yes.  And he was one of team Canada best D's in 2002....he did have his weakness on the D side, but more then made up for it with his ability to take games over, and scored quite a few goals for us.   Was sad to see him go...part of a rare 1000 game 500 point club for NHL ds ... 53 all time in goals scored ... 73 in all time points ... aside from the WCE era didn't play on good/great teams though.    If your 73 all-time .... you'd have to think we've had that many number ones ... and if your top 6/10 a couple times in Norris voting you'd also have to think for a little while at least, you'd be considered a number one as well.    I'd set him on the low bar though.   At least a top pairing guy.    He's also 54 for games played.....that's a pretty incredible achievement ... also about the same for PIMs... 

Edit:  As for PIMs... Butcher is 10th, Snepsts 16, Petit 20th, Diduck 34, Murzyn 41 etc ... man we had some toughness on the blue line back then. 

As an aside Coffey is 24th (PIMs)...people don't realize how tough he was, could handle himself...has a lot of Gordie Howe hatricks too.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

• 2 months later...

A big bump. This early-summer deal was proposed prior to the OEL/Garland doozy.

There was much resistance at the time, & it seems most posters were expecting QH's to accept a reasonable bridge. Today it seems something's rotten in Denmark, & my proposal for the same player to NYI, draws more positive acceptance.

So I wonder if a shift in the fan's perception(of player/contract scenario) might also be reflected in the possible directions our mgt might be contemplating? This could certainly be an interesting wk!

• Vintage 1

Trading Hughes for Pelech right now would be akin to robbing Peter to pay Paul (ie depleting yourself of left side depth and an extra PMD for a top pairing stay at homer).  

I’m not opposed to this deal, but let Rathbone develop first.  My plan for Rathbone would be to have him be the leading man in Abottsford getting all kinds of ice-time and varying roles. Rathbone would then get similar duties and playing time in the NHL this season if and when one of OEL or Hughes get injured.

If Rathbone proves himself in both venues, then maybe you make a Hughes for Pelech move next off season.  

4 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Trading Hughes for Pelech right now would be akin to robbing Peter to pay Paul (ie depleting yourself of left side depth and an extra PMD for a top pairing stay at homer).  

I’m not opposed to this deal, but let Rathbone develop first.  My plan for Rathbone would be to have him be the leading man in Abottsford getting all kinds of ice-time and varying roles. Rathbone would then get similar duties and playing time in the NHL this season if and when one of OEL or Hughes get injured.

If Rathbone proves himself in both venues, then maybe you make a Hughes for Pelech move next off season.  

PB, I've got 2 threads here dealing QH to the Isles. Appears you got them switched up. This thread mostly revolves around Dobson.

• Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

PB, I've got 2 threads here dealing QH to the Isles. Appears you got them switched up. This thread mostly revolves around Dobson.

Ahhhh.  Sorry my bad.   My response would pretty much be the same though.

Move Quinn if you must, but only once Rathbone proves himself this season.

Last thing you want to do is trade Hughes and throw Rathbone to the wolves.  That’s when it becomes a robbing Peter to pay Paul type scenario.

2 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Last thing you want to do is trade Hughes and throw Rathbone to the wolves.  That’s when it becomes a robbing Peter to pay Paul type scenario.

If they could land a Dahlin, or Chychrun type, I'd prob swing the deal, pronto.

On 6/26/2021 at 9:27 PM, CaptKirk888 said:

Guess we should have ‘moved on’ from Horvat after the year he was -35......

It just boggles my mind as to why people want to move on from Quinn so soon.  

Sophomore Blues are a thing.   Hughes is already one of the best offensive dmen in the league at such a young age.   

Very rarely in our history’s organization have we had an elite PMD.........and now that we finally have one for would could be for beyond a decade, we want to move this guy?  Really?

I wouldn’t be opposed to moving Hughes to New Jersey at some point, but let’s at least see how Rathbone plays this year first eh?

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

If they could land a Dahlin, or Chychrun type, I'd prob swing the deal, pronto.

I’d probably go Chychrun since he’d fill a bigger need for us than Dahlin, in terms of being that all situations Edler replacement.  

People have given Dahlin a stylistic comparison to Nik Lidstrom, but I actually think he’s more of a Brian Leetch type guy.  

Chychyrun can take on the tough match-ups, OEL can move the puck, Rathbone can move the puck on the 3rd pairing and then eventually take over the reigns from OEL.

ps - A few weeks ago, I was thinking about Petey and Hughes for Chychrun, Dvorak, and Soderstrom.

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Vintage 1

On 6/26/2021 at 2:19 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

My own pov: If he'll sign a reasonable bridge(3 yr, about 6 mill per) then great. If he wants to break the bank, then deals like the above would be considered.

This aged well...as in it had aged well.   So far QHs hasn't signed a reasonable deal.   Doesn't mean he won't - but think at this point, 7 x 3 is probably the best we can hope for. 

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

You don't have to throw him to the wolves... nobody is forcing them to play him, until he is ready... 

No matter how good QH is going to be, this carry on has put me off him, and I already fear, what his next contract will be like. 
EP we all knew was going to be the head of the franchise, but the way he has teamed up with QH and his agent, in order to hold the Canucks to ransom has also put me off him. 
All this' I want to win' stuff, seems a bit hollow just now... I don't think its about dollars anymore, but term and NTC's, so they can leave asap. Would seriously look into the trade options....